Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 in 2.5 seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This included research into a new battery layout (new cells still to come). Quite possibly this new layout was a milestone for Gigafactory & Model 3 development, now applied to Model S for real world push-the-limits testing.

It also prevents any competitor stepping in and stealing the 0-60 limelight.

As a car freak, I am one of the few people who really is interested in having that kind of acceleration. I'm a bit bored now with the P85D and would consider a P100DL.

But more important for Tesla as a company is this...you get people to look at Teslas by having something like the fastest sedan on earth, even if it just curiosity. Most people would then drive a P90D or lower and say "this is plenty fast for me." You get a lot of sales from something that brings them into the showroom (actual or virtual) just to see the "freak show" of the fastest sedan on earth.

When I was a kid, my uncle wanted to buy one of the limited edition GM cars (it may have been an Olds 455 or a GTO, I don't remember). He test drove it and ended up buying a tamer version of the same car (it was still very fast).

I am repeating the following phase for the next couple of days before I hit send on my order..... arghhh you are weak...

The P100D is the preeminent sports sedan, out performing all other cars in the global market, it reigns supreme, when driven by a skilled driver it performs at a talent level that no other production car can, many others will attempt to emulate this achievement.

How is that for kudos to the engineering team!!!

S'toon how is that for a level? the top level? I think you need to be the first one in SK is the Slovakia or Saskatchewan Canada? I'm thinking Canada based on your NDP comment in another post

Last edited:
I am repeating the following phase for the next couple of days before I hit send on my order..... arghhh you are weak...

The P100D is the preeminent sports sedan, out performing all other cars in the global market, it reigns supreme, when driven by a skilled driver it performs at a talent level that no other production car can, many others will attempt to emulate this achievement.

How is that for kudos to the engineering team!!!

S'toon how is that for a level? the top level? I think you need to be the first one in SK is the Slovakia or Saskatchewan Canada? I'm thinking Canada based on your NDP comment in another post
Correct. Canada. People from across the Canadian prairies at least will recognize where I got my name from.

It's kind of funny how Elon's master plan has us all riding around in fully autonomous cars soon.

Seems counter intuitive to put lots of energy in the meantime, making cars that are super fun to drive.

Not saying I don't think 0-60 in 2.5s isn't crazy and cool. It is.

It just seems like, once cars are all autonomous, will there be an option to buy a P100D equivalent, that's drives you from point A to point B three times faster than the competition?

It's kind of funny how Elon's master plan has us all riding around in fully autonomous cars soon.

Seems counter intuitive to put lots of energy in the meantime, making cars that are super fun to drive.

Not saying I don't think 0-60 in 2.5s isn't crazy and cool. It is.

It just seems like, once cars are all autonomous, will there be an option to buy a P100D equivalent, that's drives you from point A to point B three times faster than the competition?
Elon has always said he's a fan of still having the freedom to drive your car manually... people want autonomous cars for their boring daily commute and not necessarily for having fun on the weekend.

First, Tesla was very clear that this is intentionally exploiting the demand for FASTEST FASTEST FASTEST (and willing to pay anything for it) in order to fund the "real" mission of widely-available EVs. Second, if you do the math you'll see that you need a large increase in battery capacity to meaningfully reduce the number of SpC stops required on a long trip. I think most Tesla owners would prefer Tesla focus on more thorough and uniform SpC coverage rather than making them denser in the areas where they're already sufficient.

I'm a realtor, working most out on the field = driving around; Like many people buying Tesla for the new idea of green, new clean driving, zero waste like oil, coolant, transmission fluid, gas etc and paying higher price for those good reasons; Indeed I am free of smog and feel good about it ( not consider me as a smoker :)

Also like many others that the worry is how far I can go, not how fast! To be responsible for other, not going too fast, be safe, not to cost any accidents etc, so 0-60 6 second is good enough for being fast, no need to be FASTEST at all... it is make sense for Tesla to get some attentions and make profits but won't make sense for what tesla was meant to be. kind of missing the point of being tesla, hope won't go too far off... consider long term grow compare with traditional ICE car companies, Go build better, safer, run farther and cost cheaper.... Soon You will have hard time to find an available spot at supercharger, tesla car numbers will out grow the number of charging stations available...

Seemed funny at the time; maybe not so much in practice or you really need to watch "Hunt for Red October" more frequently.:)

I'm the one who needs to watch it more frequently? Tsk, tsk, tsk:

This...This could be a caterpillar.

A what?

Uh, a caterpillar drive.

Magneto-hydrodynamic propulsion.
You follow?

No.

It's like a... a jet engine for the water.

Goes in the front, gets squirted out the back.
Only it's got no moving parts, so it's very, very quiet.

Like how quiet?

It's doubtful our sonar would even pick it up.
And if it did, it would sound like whales humping or a seismic anomaly. Anything but a submarine.

Elon has always said he's a fan of still having the freedom to drive your car manually... people want autonomous cars for their boring daily commute and not necessarily for having fun on the weekend.

Right. Well, I haven't read every one of his quotes. But, my impression is a little different than yours.

My impression is that Elon has likened driving to riding horses. I thought he said something like, there was once a time when knowing how to ride a horse was pretty essential. Now people just ride horses for fun. Same goes for driving. One day, people will just drive for pleasure.

And this isn't a way off in the distant future thing. It's been said often that there's kids alive now that will never need to get a drivers license.

So, I don't think the end game is really for everyone to sleep on their way to work, and carve through mountain switchbacks by night. These are definitely competing goals: the goal to make cars that are super fun to drive vs making cars that drive themselves.

The other point is, even if you are that person who does drive for fun on weekends. How likely is it that you're going to justify spending money for that 2.5s acceleration, when you only use it 10% of the time.

Anyway, not trying to diss the new P100D. Just musing on the oxymoron of driverless cars that are insanely fun to drive.

The point people are missing are there are 2 types of buyers. Those who want to go fast and those who want range. Getting a High performance model is the best of both worlds and I really think when the M3 comes out Tesla will really sell a lot of highly optioned ludicrous cars. If people can buy a sub 3 second car for under 70k it will sell and make profit for Tesla.

As a Tesla shareholder, I wonder about the resources that went into this. Both Elon and JB said the engineering effort was high. Is it really a good use of resources to get us another 0.2s 0-60? They must really think there are going to be a ton of people who will pay up for the 'quickest car in the world' to offset the costs and provide meaningful capital.

There is a marketing factor associated with that effort to build the fastest 0-60 production car. Just look at the headlines.

If there was none, why would sport (and some not so sporty) brands spend a ton of money testing at Nurburgring and trying to get those elusive 7 minute laps? Because 99,9% of the buyers won't use those cars in a closed circuit like the Ring, but they sure what those bragging rights.

Or else brands should just produce cars that get to the speed limit and stop right there. That's boring. And Tesla is anything but so.

My impression is that Elon has likened driving to riding horses. I thought he said something like, there was once a time when knowing how to ride a horse was pretty essential. Now people just ride horses for fun. Same goes for driving. One day, people will just drive for pleasure.

Reminds me of the statement Ford was misquoted on, "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses".

Well, Elon is certainly doing that... and opening many eyes along the way.

Reactions: andrerodpt
I have over 100,000 miles on two Teslas, range has never really been an issue and I'm in sales and on the road a lot, traveling from NY to DC to Richmond, to Norfolk to Charlottesville VA frequently.

I charge at my home 99% of the time. The addition of Superchargers makes 300 miles - plenty - then add in my CHADeMO and other adapters and you have an excellent insurance policy for extensive charging options. I have charged at Yacht clubs at the electric pedestal for boat slips, Campgrounds, and a multitude of other interesting places that you probably haven't explored yet - there are more electric outlets than gas stations in this country - you just have to change your pattern of life to see them.

Give Tesla a couple of quarters and this technology will trickle down to the daily driver which will have even more range (340ish in a regular 100D in the near future). They can't change the speed of battery develop or gigafactory production for now.. once they complete the GF you will see significant jumps in range, as well as a reduction in price.

Reactions: callmesam and EinSV
If tesla had just announced that the 100 got over 300 miles per charge, it would have gotten limited press.

By announcing that it's the fastest production car in the world, that gets 300 miles per charge, it gets lots of press.

Over 300 miles per charge, is what will help to convinced many people to finally look at an all electric vehicle

That is a bit silly. If this is Tesla's mentality then it explains why they invest in vanity projects and features rather than little things like making sure the SC are properly staffed and trained for all the service needs they are getting.

People respond, e.g. take action, to things that matter to them - unless they are shallow and just want some bragging rights.

I don't care if my laundry detergent is the first to have plento-clean, I just care if it does what I need at the price I want.

I think Coke was the first and sells the most, but I prefer Pepsi.

In fairness to Elon, his statement about superlatives was regarding Space-X, not Tesla. I'm just assuming that he has the same attitude towards Tesla.

If tesla had just announced that the 100 got over 300 miles per charge, it would have gotten limited press.

By announcing that it's the fastest production car in the world, that gets 300 miles per charge, it gets lots of press.

Over 300 miles per charge, is what will help to convinced many people to finally look at an all electric vehicle
HAving recently gotten a Tesla I have had several people say to me " you hear about that 2.5 Tesla their making"? Uh , no I live under a rock. The 2.5 sec. 0-60 is the headlines with 300 miles under that. People are noticing Tesla for the first time and maybe even will think about buying one. I have been trying to talk a couple friends into buying one. I will be using my car as the sales point :)

• Funny
Reactions: RogerHScott