Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 in 2.5 seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i will never forget the aerosmith mgm rollercoaster ride in disney world. I think it was or is the fastest ride in the world from 0-60 and that was 2.8 seconds. I will never forget that feeling, it was Intense to say the least. Now Tesla is at 2.5 (which probably is less in real world) how is that even possible ????? :eek:

Reactions: Chopr147
i-f6ce2cac1f35bf8bc9f325925f939164-girlgenius.png

Reactions: javawolfpack
Hi,

It is possible due to a new improved battery cooling, new cell packaging and a new battery management system in the new 100kWh battery (in addition to the Ludicrous upgrade).

Just for your reference:

A falling object will accelerate 0-60 miles in exactly 2.7351236151 seconds, slower than the new P100D! Exactly as Elon retweeted this morning, the P100D with its acceleration of 2.5 secs. is faster in a straight line than it would be if you dropped it out of a plane.! :cool:

Hi,

Just for your reference:

A falling object will accelerate 0-60 miles in exactly 2.7351236151 seconds, slower than the new P100D! Exactly as Elon retweeted this morning, the P100D with its acceleration of 2.5 secs. is faster in a straight line than it would be if you dropped it out of a plane.! :cool:

But which would win the quarter mile? :p

Do drivers really need that fast? Answer for most drivers is NO! Tesla Already fast enough, the point is go Far and Farther instead Faster! With Single motor like I have 15' 70 currently can go 240 on full charge, real life driving about 220miles, if with 100kwh battery may give near or above 400miles driving and that is most people needed for everyday driving. fewer charging or supercharging station stops...

In Dallas there is an amusement park called Speed Zone. They have go karts, video games, and what they call they Top Eliminator Dragsters. They are essentially drag racing go carts bolted to a rail. When I was an young teenager (15-20 years ago) I went there and remember thinking they were the fastest things ever. Out of curiosity I just looked it up and they do 0-60 in 4 seconds! How times change that 4 seconds is now "slow" and any old classic P85 can easily do that.

Reactions: gavine
Isn't the fastest 0-60 EV time around 1.6 seconds? As done by a research project recently?
There is this car Dark Horse: the story of a record-shattering, all-electric ’68 Mustang

0-60 in 2.4 secs. But that is not a production vehicle and you can't even buy one.

Tesla's announcement yesterday said, quote: "The Model S P100D with Ludicrous mode is the third fastest accelerating production car ever produced, with a 0-60 mph time of 2.5* seconds. However, both the LaFerrari and the Porsche 918 Spyder were limited run, million dollar vehicles and cannot be bought new."

I think Tesla should have emphasized more clearly that the Ferrari and 918 are no longer in production. The statement kind of soft pedals that reality.

What Tesla has done with the P100D Ludicrous is really quite remarkable. Is it important for the average car owner? I don't think so. But it is an effective marketing tool to help the public understand that EVs really are better in every way than ICE vehicles. It is important for Tesla to make an effort to dispel EV stereotypes.

Reactions: Chopr147
i will never forget the aerosmith mgm rollercoaster ride in disney world. I think it was or is the fastest ride in the world from 0-60 and that was 2.8 seconds... how is that even possible ????? :eek:

0-60 has been possible for a while.
the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015 Bugatti had either 2.4 or 2.5 0-60 and the 2016 McLaren is at 2.5.
Plus they all went faster than 155 miles an hour.

As a Tesla shareholder, I wonder about the resources that went into this. Both Elon and JB said the engineering effort was high. Is it really a good use of resources to get us another 0.2s 0-60? They must really think there are going to be a ton of people who will pay up for the 'quickest car in the world' to offset the costs and provide meaningful capital.

As a Tesla shareholder, I wonder about the resources that went into this. Both Elon and JB said the engineering effort was high. Is it really a good use of resources to get us another 0.2s 0-60? They must really think there are going to be a ton of people who will pay up for the 'quickest car in the world' to offset the costs and provide meaningful capital.

They would agree tent pole marketing, show pony examples trickle down to huge lower end sales. No accident Merc etc have show pony AMG models that drive lower sales to associate with the glamour end of the market, which sells well enough on its own of course.
Yes for them it is viable, and valid they would argue.

i will never forget the aerosmith mgm rollercoaster ride in disney world. I think it was or is the fastest ride in the world from 0-60 and that was 2.8 seconds. I will never forget that feeling, it was Intense to say the least. Now Tesla is at 2.5 (which probably is less in real world) how is that even possible ????? :eek:
That is the ride I think of when doing ludicrous speed :) On test drives. My 60D feels like a rocket and its more than double the 100D times

The great thing about this is that its faster than Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, etc. The Tesla has the same range as any car with a tank of gas. The auto industry said it couldn't be done. Now its been done and you'd think they'd all be following this amazing story of success. But they're still building global warming gas engines...

Do drivers really need that fast? Answer for most drivers is NO! Tesla Already fast enough, the point is go Far and Farther instead Faster! With Single motor like I have 15' 70 currently can go 240 on full charge, real life driving about 220miles, if with 100kwh battery may give near or above 400miles driving and that is most people needed for everyday driving. fewer charging or supercharging station stops...
First, Tesla was very clear that this is intentionally exploiting the demand for FASTEST FASTEST FASTEST (and willing to pay anything for it) in order to fund the "real" mission of widely-available EVs. Second, if you do the math you'll see that you need a large increase in battery capacity to meaningfully reduce the number of SpC stops required on a long trip. I think most Tesla owners would prefer Tesla focus on more thorough and uniform SpC coverage rather than making them denser in the areas where they're already sufficient.

But it is an effective marketing tool to help the public understand that EVs really are better in every way than ICE vehicles.
If you go on any newspaper site where the P100DL is being discussed, the common theme is "toys for the 1%" and complaining about the inefficiencies requiring you to stop to charge (where ICEs are still better/faster).

So I don't think it's an effective marketing tool now. The people who know about Tesla and know about EVs think "o, cool, it can go even faster now!" the people who don't know about Tesla think "toys for the 1%".

Tesla engineers: should we focus on going faster? Farther?
Elon Musk: yes
I think it was the other way around...

Elon to Tesla engineers: figure out a way to make our full size sedan and SUV quicker to 60 than any other car currently in production at any price because we need to show the world that BEVs are better than ICE cars in every way. *

Tesla engineers: Will do...done.

* Note: that does not mean that Tesla isn't also working on increasing range and increasing charge rates and a lot of other great things, of course they are!

You're assuming this result isn't just one part of a larger set of results, many of which have wider benefits and applicability. Being the
good marketers they are, of course they led with the most dramatic aspect.