Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0% Battery Drain, Whilst Away on Holiday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how helpful this is to anyone, but to my surprise after parking with 58% at LHR for my holiday, i returned after 5.5 days to 58%.
This has not happened on any of my previous trips parked up for a few days, however this time i had the car set up with the following for the entire time:

1. Sentry Mode = OFF
  2. Cabin Overheat Protection = OFF
  3. Tesla App on mobile = CLOSED as soon as i parked up (and never looked at the app until i returned)

All in all i was very pleased as normally have to charge up on my way back home, will certainly do the same going forward.
Let me know if you want to know about any other settings which may have contributed to the result.

Not sure how helpful this is to anyone, but to my surprise after parking with 58% at LHR for my holiday, i returned after 5.5 days to 58%.
This has not happened on any of my previous trips parked up for a few days, however this time i had the car set up with the following for the entire time:

1. Sentry Mode = OFF
  2. Cabin Overheat Protection = OFF
  3. Tesla App on mobile = CLOSED as soon as i parked up (and never looked at the app until i returned)

All in all i was very pleased as normally have to charge up on my way back home, will certainly do the same going forward.
Let me know if you want to know about any other settings which may have contributed to the result.

Yep, I leave mine for 3 months at a time and only see a few % drop over that time usually. As long as Sentry is disabled (Cabin overheat only works for first 12/24 hours after parking so doesn't really make a difference) and you dont open the app every 5 minutes it uses pretty much zero battery.

What does that mean ?. I thought that it take action every time the temperature is higher than I set it
Nope, it's a safety feature to prevent a child / pet who has been left in the car accidently from being cooked on hot days.

Cabin Overheat Protection​

Cabin Overheat Protection prevents the cabin from getting too hot in scorching ambient conditions. While not necessary to activate whenever you leave Model 3, the climate control system can reduce and maintain the temperature of your vehicle’s cabin. This can prevent the cabin from getting too hot after leaving it parked in the sun, making the vehicle more comfortable when you return. Cabin Overheat Protection may take up to 15 minutes to enable once you exit the vehicle. This feature is intended for passenger comfort and has no impact on the reliability of your vehicle's components.
To turn on, touch Controls > Safety > Cabin Overheat Protection and choose:
  • On: The air conditioning operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 40° C, or the selected temperature if available, on the touchscreen or mobile app. Customizing temperatures may require the most recent version of the mobile app.
  • No A/C: Only the fan operates to prevent touch surfaces from getting too hot.
  • Off: Disables Cabin Overheat Protection.
You can also enable Cabin Overheat Protection remotely through the mobile app by touching Climate. Swipe up on the bottom menu and select a setting under Cabin Overheat Protection (see Mobile App).
Cabin Overheat Protection operates until 12 hours has elapsed once you exit Model 3, or until the Battery energy drops below 20%, whichever comes first. Using Cabin Overheat Protection requires energy from the Battery, which may decrease range.

Yep, I leave mine for 3 months at a time and only see a few % drop over that time usually. As long as Sentry is disabled (Cabin overheat only works for first 12/24 hours after parking so doesn't really make a difference) and you dont open the app every 5 minutes it uses pretty much zero battery.
I’m off for 3 months shortly and not even slightly concerned it will be ok. It will be mid winter, but it will be fine 👍🏻 ……. And I’ll be on my 4th HV battery by then too!!

It is for survival, not comfort. Recently (a few months ago) Elon said that as far as they know, no pet or child has died in a locked Tesla.

Sadly and tragically, so far this year 16 children have died in locked cars in the US.

I still can't make my mind up about this. As my car generally is driven every day, I leave cabin temperature protection on, but purely for the electronics and what not inside. I figure keeping it below scalding temperatures won't do it any harm.

But then I see the drain and start thinking should I just turn it off alltogether.

I still can't make my mind up about this. As my car generally is driven every day, I leave cabin temperature protection on, but purely for the electronics and what not inside. I figure keeping it below scalding temperatures won't do it any harm.

But then I see the drain and start thinking should I just turn it off alltogether.
I have it enabled but without A/C.

Nope, it's a safety feature to prevent a child / pet who has been left in the car accidently from being cooked on hot days.

You are right 👍
"Cabin Overheat Protection operates until 12 hours has elapsed once you exit Model 3, or until the Battery energy drops below 20%, whichever comes first. Using Cabin Overheat Protection requires energy from the Battery, which may"

But there is no mention about children !. Pets have a special option 🙂
"Cabin Overheat Protection prevents the cabin from getting too hot in scorching ambient conditions. While not necessary to activate whenever you leave Model 3, the climate control system can reduce and maintain the temperature of your vehicle’s cabin. This can prevent the cabin from getting too hot after leaving it parked in the sun, making the vehicle more comfortable when you return"