Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5 GB Upload in 1 Day...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine uploaded 4.82GB (3.20GB between 16h - 17h and another 1.23GB between 20h - 21h and then just under a GB between 21h and 0) of data yesterday. That's a lot of information. I'm thinking I'm going to create a separate channel for the car to connect to and only allow access to it when I see most people getting new SW. Any reason I should not do this?

I'm thinking I'm going to create a separate channel for the car to connect to and only allow access to it when I see most people getting new SW Any reason I should not do this?
The data your car is uploading is most likely because Tesla sent out a query to the fleet to get information returned to them that they will then use to train the neural net.

If you limit this, then you are preventing them from getting information they need to help bring out self drive. Sure, you're just one data point, so it's not like you're going to set them back a year, but still... you are denying them access to requested/needed information.

So it boils down to what you want to do. If you want to help program the neural net, let your car upload whatever/whenever it wants. But if you don't, then go ahead and throttle it.

The data your car is uploading is most likely because Tesla sent out a query to the fleet to get information returned to them that they will then use to train the neural net.

If you limit this, then you are preventing them from getting information they need to help bring out self drive. Sure, you're just one data point, so it's not like you're going to set them back a year, but still... you are denying them access to requested/needed information.

So it boils down to what you want to do. If you want to help program the neural net, let your car upload whatever/whenever it wants. But if you don't, then go ahead and throttle it.
Yeah, I figured that and definitely want it to learn and make our cars better. I just have been monitoring everything closely now because I got a crazy email from my ISP saying I was almost over my monthly usage and my usage in August was double what my family uses on a normal bases and the kids went back to school in August which is crazy. Regardless just noticing things now so I can take it back to the ISP and tell them there is an issue on their end.

Does the car only upload data back to the NN over Wifi?

I got a crazy email from my ISP saying I was almost over my monthly usage
Your ISP counts UPLOADS against your data cap? Yikes, that's not cool. :(

Going from what I've read, yes. But since it's really impossible to monitor what the cars send over LTE, it's impossible to know for sure if they limit query data to WiFi only.

Yeah, I figured that and definitely want it to learn and make our cars better. I just have been monitoring everything closely now because I got a crazy email from my ISP saying I was almost over my monthly usage and my usage in August was double what my family uses on a normal bases and the kids went back to school in August which is crazy. Regardless just noticing things now so I can take it back to the ISP and tell them there is an issue on their end.

I believe the car only uploads data over Wi-Fi for the FSD requests.

If your ISP has upload limits and it'll cost you a bunch more money, that'd be a reason to limit the car's access. I'm sure Tesla can get enough data from other people, though I'd generally prefer to give them whatever they want.

3.4 gigs in 24 hrs...30 gigs in 30 days...
Screenshot_20190911-174127_Google Wifi.jpg

Saw this thread and decided to check what/if my car was doing any uploading/downloading...

...why for it sending sooo much data to amazon of all places???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190911-162308_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190911-162308_Chrome.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 59