Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 gallon of generator fuel gets me how many miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a campground nearby with electricity, the OP is Golden in this circumstance.
People are always coming up with "impossible" scenarios where an EV couldn't possibly work for them. However, most people don't realize that the electrical infrastructure is remarkably good and widely distributed. There are very few places in the US that are very far from an electric outlet.
For everywhere else, there's solar.

Tesla should show different configurations of the Semi and Truck. Show the Semi with a Cement mixer on it Or using it as a roll back/Flatbed car hauler. Show the pickup with a winch and using the winch with the truck stuck in the mud Maybe show it plowing Snow. Towing a 5th Wheel/Goose neck trailer Didn't Musk say it could tow a 5th Wheel?

People are always coming up with "impossible" scenarios where an EV couldn't possibly work for them. However, most people don't realize that the electrical infrastructure is remarkably good and widely distributed. There are very few places in the US that are very far from an electric outlet.
For everywhere else, there's solar.

Mspohr,

Please go back and read the entire post prior to responding again. I'm 100%on board with EV, just wanted to make sure that a trip I do every year will be possible with CT Tri.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts.

Rob in Tacoma

If you get any added value by doing so you would have to find a generator that wouldn't just trip once it ramps up .. I tried just now for fun with a nicer Honda generator and it just trips after a few minutes ..

You have to dial your amp charge rate (in the car) to what the generator can sustain.

Just about any generator has a sustain rate and a peak rate. Outlets (amps) are based on peak.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Not sure if this was already said but a gallon of gasoline has about 33.7 KWh of energy. So that's the most you could get if the generator was 100% efficient which we know is not the case. Assuming 20% efficiency that's only 6.75 KWh of energy for your EV. For an EV like a model Y that would be 28 miles. Probably less for the Cybertruck since it's probably less efficient than the model Y.

Small gasoline generators are not very efficient, probably closer to 10%. Large stationary diesel generators, like the ones used for some remote EV charging stations in the Australian Outback, can be as high as 55%. Pretty wide range!

It depends on what you are towing and where you are going. You may not be able to pull your Cybertruck with a trailer into a Supercharger or a charge point charger to charge. If you have a heavy load with a long trailer charging may be very difficult. If I purchase the Cybertruck and I'm towing just under 12000 lb with a 38 foot long equipment trailer it would be very hard to charge the truck. Yes I could find a parking lot and drop the trailer to charge but I'm not leaving 60 thousand dollars of equipment in some parking lot.

A few things. I’ve charged my model 3 off a 2200w and 9k generator. Best I can get off the 2200 is 2 miles/hour range, off the 9k I can get 20 miles per hour but it weighs almost 300 lbs. solar isn’t there yet, could be soon’ish but not there. I’m in Alaska and we don’t have any superchargers, closest one to me is farther away than the distance from Atlanta to Los Angeles, that said I’ve driven much of the road system in state over the last 6 years charging at RV sites which works well. So yes, the best option for you will be charging at a campground.

I also tow a camper often and based on my experience with our S and 3 as well as math from towing with my LX570 I am betting that 150-200 miles of real (non-white knuckle) towing range pulling a 5k+ lb camper with the LR tri motor.

Reactions: TechOps