Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 year in.. we really need better driver profiles!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite a few settings are "silently saved" to the profile. One example would be the auto-dip on headlights for newer cars.

The only way I know to find out is to set up a new profile and work through settings. Note what you change and then see where your own profile has changed.

Settings in your profile which were not changed have been protected by being saved to the profile.

May have been said, so apologies. I love that so much is included in the setting. But I am the only one driving my car, as I live alone. I would like an options menu where I can select what is saved. I actually spend more time resetting temp, units, display brightness, R/L display screens in the IP than it takes for me to simply adjust the damn seat and wheel, which are the primary setting I like to change, based on my driving scenario.

I asked the advisor about tying the user profile to the fob. He told me that Tesla used to do that, but folks would complain as they may grab the wrong fob. I would like to see the feature be something that could be enabled. My Corvette did it. My GMC truck does it. My wife and I never have keys for the same car when we are in the car together. To have the seats and mirror automatically adjust before you get in the car is a nice feature. I would also like to see ALL user settings tied to the user profile. The radio settings, everything. My wife and I have very different tastes in music. Would make that a lot easier if that were just saved with the profile as well. (other cars on the market already do this!)

That's downright absurd and goes beyond bordering on the nonsensical. Taking away an option that the rest of the world has because a few people made mistakes is bad enough. Not enabling it selectively is also bad. But the way this works on any car is that you have to associate a memory with a fob in the first place! If you have a list of 10 profiles and never associated any of them with a fob, then nobody would get mixed up. There's no way the car can do this on its own because it needs to know which profiles correspond to fobs and which ones don't. That's the way ALL cars do it. There is no downside. Anybody who doesn't like the feature doesn't have to use it in the first place. They don't have to tie a profile to a fob. Not offering the feature doesn't solve any problem.

I would literally have to walk out of the place to keep myself from asking flat out if the person was just plain stupid.

Sound system settings and everything else could be tied to a profile very easily and some companies have been doing it for a decade or more. The only down side is that if my wife uses the navigator to drop one of my kids off at a friend's house, and then tells me to go pick her up, and it's not in my navigation history, that's a problem. Likewise if I was listening to music and I took turns driving with somebody, I might want the music to stay the same. But that should be the exception and not the rule. Even with other cars, changing sources and returning to a source might be a simple press of a button but Tesla makes it such an ordeal in some cases that it's clear they never considered what it's like to share a car with somebody.

Tesla has been stupid when it comes to taking away promised features because somebody made a mistake. They took away the ability to roll down all the windows with the fob because some people did it by mistake. They could have made it an optional setting. So what did they do with the same fob press? They made it summon the car. You wouldn't want somebody to sit on the fob and roll down the windows in the rain, but it's not too risky if the same action can move the car. What are they thinking? Of course, in the case of summon you can turn it off. But why didn't they do that with the window down function?

The big solution I'd like to see is that the profiles should be synced to your Tesla account. Then if you own two Teslas your profiles can be synced between them. More importantly for me (owning only one MS) is when I get a loaner I could sync my profiles there too.

They still haven't figured out how to let somebody use the app with a loaner car, meaning I can't navigate to my next appointment. Syncing with a loaner is only half the battle. Tesla knows this and it makes it harder for people in showrooms who can't show anybody how the app works.

I asked the advisor about tying the user profile to the fob. He told me that Tesla used to do that, but folks would complain as they may grab the wrong fob. I would like to see the feature be something that could be enabled.

I can't imagine that's the real reason? It would seem simpler to allow the owner to disable linking to fobs in the settings. Much more of the population wants this feature.

Reactions: willcasp
The big solution I'd like to see is that the profiles should be synced to your Tesla account. Then if you own two Teslas your profiles can be synced between them. More importantly for me (owning only one MS) is when I get a loaner I could sync my profiles there too.
+1

My car recently had to have the MCU replaced it is a pain to set everything back up like Homelink, wifi passwords, etc. The only thing that I didn't have to set up again was my Slacker stations as they are linked to my Slacker account.

I asked the advisor about tying the user profile to the fob. He told me that Tesla used to do that, but folks would complain as they may grab the wrong fob. I would like to see the feature be something that could be enabled. My Corvette did it. My GMC truck does it. My wife and I never have keys for the same car when we are in the car together. To have the seats and mirror automatically adjust before you get in the car is a nice feature. I would also like to see ALL user settings tied to the user profile. The radio settings, everything. My wife and I have very different tastes in music. Would make that a lot easier if that were just saved with the profile as well. (other cars on the market already do this!)
Agree. BMW does this and you'd think they have more drivers, more feedback... It would have been a better decision (IF Tesla used to do this) for them to make it an enable/disable feature -- so those who complain could disable.

They still haven't figured out how to let somebody use the app with a loaner car, meaning I can't navigate to my next appointment. Syncing with a loaner is only half the battle. Tesla knows this and it makes it harder for people in showrooms who can't show anybody how the app works.
I would expect this is a low-priority scenario considering the overall % of people who are driving a loaner at any particular time, and even lower % of those who use that feature. Wouldn't it be easier if the car could sync your calendar via Bluetooth, so once you make a BT connection to the car it would not only upload your contacts but also your calendar...

I like the idea of synching to a server for download - that could be really helpful.

I'm not sure how practical the key fob link is - does the car know which fob is in the driver's seat when two or more are in the car?

I think it knows which side of the car a fob is on while outside, so maybe it could watch and remember...
Solution: Default behavior if there are multiple fobs in the car at the same time... One fob has to be detected by the car first - that's what it would adjust to. Probably a low % scenario when there are multiple fobs in the car, though.

I think Tesla could do so much with driver profiles that isn't being done yet. Just throwing some ideas out there:
  • Obvious: tie more of the settings to it, e.g. creep mode.
  • Sync the profiles to Tesla server so that you can sync between multiple vehicles. Great if your family owns more than one Tesla but even better when you get a Tesla loaner -- you could sync your settings, saved locations, possibly even HomeLink and then clear before you return.
  • Make all of the restrictions in Valet mode available to any profile. So you can have a profile for your kid that limits performance but allows everything else and requires a PIN to disable. Additionally you could set this to auto-enable when the car turns on.
  • Add ability to link profiles to individual keyfobs.
I would add:
  • Ability to lock profiles. Anytime someone else drives the car (service, car wash, valet) they could move the seat. Maybe they touch Save to clear the dialog... Let me lock the profile so it needs a PIN to change. OR, let me save the profile so I can always revert back. (I created a profile called "Service" that I change to when I bring the car to Tesla. I figure Valet mode may be too restrictive for them, but Service helps me protect my own profile from deletion.)
  • If syncing to the Tesla server is difficult, maybe allow save to the Tesla app or USB. Again so I can use my full profile if somehow it gets changed. Trying to sync with a loaner may be problematic since there are so many configurations and permutations of features and settings.
  • Use the Bluetooth connection to sync calendar like it does with contacts - then you'd be able to see your calendar in the loaner.

I would add:
  • Ability to lock profiles. Anytime someone else drives the car (service, car wash, valet) they could move the seat. Maybe they touch Save to clear the dialog... Let me lock the profile so it needs a PIN to change. OR, let me save the profile so I can always revert back. (I created a profile called "Service" that I change to when I bring the car to Tesla. I figure Valet mode may be too restrictive for them, but Service helps me protect my own profile from deletion.)
Is there an issue with the Service Center messing up profiles? The one time my car was in for service the seat & mirrors were moved, but tapping on my name & the "revert" button moved everything back to the correct spot. In the loaner car I updated the "Elon" profile to my seat & mirror settings to make the dialog go away. But I imagine that many owners do that when driving a loaner.

Is there an issue with the Service Center messing up profiles? The one time my car was in for service the seat & mirrors were moved, but tapping on my name & the "revert" button moved everything back to the correct spot. In the loaner car I updated the "Elon" profile to my seat & mirror settings to make the dialog go away. But I imagine that many owners do that when driving a loaner.
No, I don't think there's an issue - but I think it's too easy to for anyone to Save a change to a profile and overwrite the driver's settings. If anyone moves the seat and mirrors and taps Save you have no way to go back. I'm not saying all the settings should be locked, just that the ability to overwrite (Save) could be locked or require a 2nd affirmation. Or enable a backup to be saved so the owner could revert to previous settings. As the car gets even more sophisticated, with more preferences set just how you like them, it will become more relevant.