Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10/10/2021 Is anyone seeing Storm Watch activated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine went on early this morning and the grid charged my batteries to 100% before sunrise. I am in 94563 (SF East Bay). We did get a weather watch storm warning, but nothing from the police or PGE. So I shut off the Storm Watch on the app at 3PM, and the Powerwalls are providing some of the power along with Solar. I am set on Self Power. After sunset, I will switch to Time Based. Will turn on Storm Watch at midnight to recharge the powerwalls completely at the lowest rates (I am on EV2A rate for PGE).

i have never once had a storm watch event in about 10 months of operation .. however happened to look at app and system has been drawing 7.5kw from grid for past 10 min / charging 2 powerwalls at 6.7kw total with house demand 0.8kw (powerwalls already at 92% reserve set for 40%) ... no storm watch notice on app .. i toggled storm watch off anyway .. still drawing from grid .. i am on self powered / not opted into virtual powerplant and have never seen this behavior before .. bit annoying since this is peak rate time 🙄
edit ...and now when powerwalls reading 99% app is showing running off grid .. again even though set self powered ..
would this be storm watch behavior even if set self powered (just no notice of storm watch mode in app ?
edit ok so it was my 1st storm watch mode ..
notice was delayed .. showing in app now ..🤓

Last edited:
i have never once had a storm watch event in about 10 months of operation .. however happened to look at app and system has been drawing 7.5kw from grid for past 10 min / charging 2 powerwalls at 6.7kw total with house demand 0.8kw (powerwalls already at 92% reserve set for 40%) ... no storm watch notice on app .. i toggled storm watch off anyway .. still drawing from grid .. i am on self powered / not opted into virtual powerplant and have never seen this behavior before .. bit annoying since this is peak rate time 🙄
edit ...and now when powerwalls reading 99% app is showing running off grid .. again even though set self powered ..
would this be storm watch behavior even if set self powered (just no notice of storm watch mode in app ?
edit ok so it was my 1st storm watch mode ..
notice was delayed .. showing in app now ..🤓
Storm watch looks like this in the app when it’s activated and charging the powerwalls.
13473682-4012-4552-8775-A57BBBA3AAA2.png
CCE7BDBF-208A-447A-B985-ECBE559252C9.png

I haven't gotten any noticed but I'm not in any county currently listed at PG&E weather awareness.

There's a link to it at New Weather Webpage Gives Customers Insight into Meteorological Matters, Gauges the Potential for the Need to Call a Public Safety Power Shutoff | PG&E.

My part of Silicon Valley got hit twice by over 24 hour PSPSes back in 2019.
Same for us. That is when we decided to get solar and storage. Which was one of the best decisions we ever made.

Most of the Sierra foothills got pulled from the PSPS yesterday but Storm Watch is still active for me. PG&E does not show it as a potential anymore. It's a bit breezy but not even windy. I'll probably shut Storm Watch off this afternoon before Peak and then maybe turn it back on again when I go into Off Peak tonight.

Reactions: Electrph
Most of the Sierra foothills got pulled from the PSPS yesterday but Storm Watch is still active for me. PG&E does not show it as a potential anymore. It's a bit breezy but not even windy. I'll probably shut Storm Watch off this afternoon before Peak and then maybe turn it back on again when I go into Off Peak tonight.
if system is in storm watch mode then you toggle off storm watch how long does it generally take for system to go out of stormwatch mode or at least indicate so on app ?

We’re not in the PSPS warning area (KGO has us in advisory state until 8pm) but it has been pretty gusty here (Santa Clara County valley area situated between the recent Complex Lightning fires). Just heard on the radio that some areas have had power shut down this morning and more likely as day goes on. News also mentioned the Santa Ana winds will likely trigger power outages for some southern California areas.

With it being October we’re now in the PGE/SVCE Winter rate schedule for those finding Storm Watch has been charging their PWs from the grid.

We’re not in the PSPS warning area (KGO has us in advisory state until 8pm) but it has been pretty gusty here (Santa Clara County valley area situated between the recent Complex Lightning fires). Just heard on the radio that some areas have had power shut down this morning and more likely as day goes on. News also mentioned the Santa Ana winds will likely trigger power outages for some southern California areas.

With it being October we’re now in the PGE/SVCE Winter rate schedule for those finding Storm Watch has been charging their PWs from the grid.
Getting pretty windy in the foothills now also, Auburn

Reactions: jboy210