Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10 Reasons You Should Never Buy An EV (says MSN)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our latest government (in New Zealand) campaigned on eliminating all EV subsidies and now voted in has carried those promises out. It's now more expensive to drive an EV if you're expecting running cost savings to pay for the additional capital. Sales dropped about 90% last month as a result.

The dumb thing is that our electricity is around 90% renewable and it would have been an easy way for NZ to meet emissions goals without imposing that burden on the farming sector.

Some of the reasons are not welled reasoned.

3 in car app subscriptions. That's the same as ICE cars and it pisses me off in both cases. BMW was considering, and may have done, subscription heated seats.

5 Limited model variety isn't a reason to never buy, it may be a reason not to buy now because you don't like the choices.

6. Limit charge infrastructure. That's another maybe not now reason and is improving at a pretty reasonable rate especially now with other manufacturers jumping in to do their own buldouts.

7. Impact on electric grid. Another non-reason, electric use has actually gone down (may have seen this in the WSJ) with the improving efficiency of appliances and HVAC gear.

8. Limited towing capacity. Should read severely limited range when towing. I know a lot of people tow but was the overall percentage of car buyers who tow? MPG is greatlhy diminsied when towing as well. So this will improve with charging time and charging port ubiquty. I'd call it a nearly niche use case.

9. Cold weather performance. That I feel is a tad overblown.

10. Additional fees. The additional fees to offset the lack of paying a gas tax. As an EV owner I understand it's a bit unfair that road maintenance is paid by gas taxes and we clearly aren't contributing except for states that charge a flat fee at registration. I am sure those fees may be a bit high but nonetheless shouldn't be nothing. Moreover, ifyou are going to point out fees you need to make a complete picture that includes federal tax credit and state level incentives. NJ for example gives a discount on tolls using EZ Pass and 0, zilch, nada sales tax on EVs.

I'm realistic and no that EVs have a way to go but for 90% of use cases are equal or superior to gas cars.

Some of the reasons are not welled reasoned.

3 in car app subscriptions. That's the same as ICE cars and it pisses me off in both cases. BMW was considering, and may have done, subscription heated seats.

5 Limited model variety isn't a reason to never buy, it may be a reason not to buy now because you don't like the choices.

6. Limit charge infrastructure. That's another maybe not now reason and is improving at a pretty reasonable rate especially now with other manufacturers jumping in to do their own buldouts.

7. Impact on electric grid. Another non-reason, electric use has actually gone down (may have seen this in the WSJ) with the improving efficiency of appliances and HVAC gear.

8. Limited towing capacity. Should read severely limited range when towing. I know a lot of people tow but was the overall percentage of car buyers who tow? MPG is greatlhy diminsied when towing as well. So this will improve with charging time and charging port ubiquty. I'd call it a nearly niche use case.

9. Cold weather performance. That I feel is a tad overblown.

10. Additional fees. The additional fees to offset the lack of paying a gas tax. As an EV owner I understand it's a bit unfair that road maintenance is paid by gas taxes and we clearly aren't contributing except for states that charge a flat fee at registration. I am sure those fees may be a bit high but nonetheless shouldn't be nothing. Moreover, ifyou are going to point out fees you need to make a complete picture that includes federal tax credit and state level incentives. NJ for example gives a discount on tolls using EZ Pass and 0, zilch, nada sales tax on EVs.

I'm realistic and no that EVs have a way to go but for 90% of use cases are equal or superior to gas cars.

RE: #6 - ive been driving electric for 12 years now all across the country never had a problem with range or infrastructure

RE: #9 - It hit -20 here a couple months ago and my gas car wouldnt start.. then when it did start the oil pressure switch started leaking because the seal shrunk from the extreme cold.. i dropped it off to get fixed ($800 later) and got a ride home in my Model Y which did just fine in the -20 weather.. maybe not its most efficient trips but barely even noticed

RE: #10 - yes the additional fees are more than paid off in the subsidies.. not that im for subsidies but im not for fees either

and yes BMW does charge for heated seats - MSN should be ashamed

actually the OP should be ashamed for providing them any additional web hits at all

Reactions: android04