Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% Battery charging not stopping even though the app says 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The charge rate will taper as it balances the cells. Should get down to something like 2-3A before it finally stops completely. It generally takes 40-60 minutes past the estimated time to actually hit 100%.

And then as soon as it does hit 100%, you should drive it to get down to at least 90% and preferably 80% immediately. So best time to do a 100% charge is before a road trip, using the scheduled departure setting, with the departure time set for 1 hour before your intended departure time (which in practice means it'll probably hit 100% 0-30 minutes before you actually depart).

I just got to see this in person. The Model Y that was hogging the charging station hit 100% state of charge then kept charging for almost another full hour before finally stopping. At the end it was charging at 4kW.

OPs battery is unbalanced. Clearly bc he’s had car for 4 years and hasn’t charged to 100 percent before, the range loss seems a bit high if it’s a rear wheel drive LR Model3 from 2018. Charging to 100 occasionally is actually a good thing and letting the car sit for an hour or so while it continues to rebalance is good - one hour at 100 percent is not a horrible thing (unless it’s done frequently). Read that thread about gaining range - good info there

Years ago hitting the fake 100% re-balancing threshold would result in continued 'charging/rebalancing' until SC output dropped below 1kW (and in the case of L1/L2 charging, 0.1kW). Now it seems most 3/Ys top out and declare balancing and charging complete with 3-4kW going in.

Years ago hitting the fake 100% re-balancing threshold would result in continued 'charging/rebalancing' until SC output dropped below 1kW (and in the case of L1/L2 charging, 0.1kW). Now it seems most 3/Ys top out and declare balancing and charging complete with 3-4kW going in.
Are we talking about DC fast charging or level 2 charging? I was referring to level 2 charging.

Here's what happens at the very end of a level 2 charging session. Note that the car is set to take up to 48A and my WC is capable of delivering up to 48A, but is choosing to take only 5A:

Tesla Balancing 5A.jpg

Here's what it looks like on my ChargePoint Home in another session (I charged the Tesla on this EVSE instead of the WC because it produces a nice graph of charging power vs. time). Were you to view this in the app like in the photo above, it would say something like "5/32A" at the very end, because my ChargePoint Home is the older model and can only deliver up to 32A of current. This particular session was from 90% to 100%. As you can see, the cell balancing process takes about 45-60 minutes:

Tesla Balancing CP.jpg

Last edited:
In both cases it's the same. Approaching 100%, the battery will not even take 48A, it will gradually reduce power to go as low as 1kW as you show, while balancing. The battery is almost perfectly full, it cannot take full power.
Yeah but it sounds like DC fast charging cuts off at around 3 kW instead of 1 kW. This is likely due to them wanting to free up the fast charger. I suspect that you'll get a more thorough cell balancing on level 2 charging.

Depending on the battery temp when you plugged and how long you were plugged... The battery now targets 60C for supercharging. It could have been heating still. In any case, the BMS is the master, it decides what it wants to pull, and that will vary depending on how full the battery is.

Depending on the battery temp when you plugged and how long you were plugged... The battery now targets 60C for supercharging. It could have been heating still. In any case, the BMS is the master, it decides what it wants to pull, and that will vary depending on how full the battery is.
It had been charged from 50%-90% on the WC and then I disconnected from the WC and connected to the ChargePoint. It had been sitting in the garage all night with ambient temperatures between 15-18°C before charging. If it wanted to heat the battery, it would have already been done by the time the charge level reached 90% which was about 3+ hours into the session. I know the heat pump was not running because I was standing next to the car. I'm pretty sure that what I'm looking at here is only the effects of cell balancing and running the main computer and nothing else.

Okay, so how much rebalancing is taking place? The reason I ask is because I haven't ever tried to rebalance. I haven't charged up above 60% for daily use for several years. I have gone well above 60% while on roadtrips, but being on a roadtrip, I leave immediately after supercharging, so no rebalancing is taking place.

According to SMT, my cells are imbalanced 6mV. Is that a lot? I have no point of reference, so I have no idea.
IMG_5915.jpeg