Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% Battery charging not stopping even though the app says 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the full battery range reduced to 276miles after 63k miles, i tried 100% batrery charging.
The battery meter shows 100% charged, but the car keeps drawing power for more than 30 minutes now.
The remaining charge time has also remained same at 30 minutes.

I called tesla service, says nothing wrong with the battery with self diagnostics and seem to have no idea.

Anyone experienced like this?
I am not sure if I should stop charging or keep going.
Mine is 2018 M3 LR, thanks.

Though you didn't say, I assume you are charging on a home charger or destination charger, and yes, I have seen that happen on rare occasions with my older MX. This shouldn't happen on a supercharger.

On another point, I hope you plan to be driving very soon instead of just letting your car sit there at 100%.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
With the full battery range reduced to 276miles after 63k miles, i tried 100% batrery charging.
The battery meter shows 100% charged, but the car keeps drawing power for more than 30 minutes now.

I called tesla service, says nothing wrong with the battery with self diagnostics and seem to have no idea.

That's expected.

When you charge at 100%, it's a good time for the BMS (Battery Management System) to recalibrate to ensure you get 100%. The process can take a long time, like you said 30 minutes or for others, even hours. It's best to do that when you are not in a hurry, like sleeping.

Last edited:
Sorry, was hoping to see increased battery range

Your loss of range is typical for the fleet, with a loss of 10 - 15% over four years. My 2018 dual motor car charges to between 270 and 280 miles, depending. I've noticed that most of the degradation/aging happens in the first two years, then levels off quite a bit. I've been in this current range for nearly two years and almost 100,000 miles.

I thought the extra time was for cell rebalancing?

Finally, the car stopped drawing power.
Whats the next step, computer/button wheel reset help?

The only thing that should be "next" is not leaving your car at 100% charged for any real length of time. So, if you were planning on driving, go do that. If you werent planning on driving, go do it anyway, or leave on cabin overheat protection and sentry mode, turn on remote HVAC etc, till your car is down to at least 94-95%.

EDIT: I should have read further into the thread to see you already addressed that.

Possibly, or for recalibration, whatever helps at this point for me.
My car kept drawing power for another hour after showing 100% charge on the app. So, hopely extra juice is calculated into range predictions.
This is 100% normal, as others have already said. It (your car) will balance cells etc. As far as "getting range back" I am not participating in that part of the discussion but you can read through the first few posts in this thread:

The charge rate will taper as it balances the cells. Should get down to something like 2-3A before it finally stops completely. It generally takes 40-60 minutes past the estimated time to actually hit 100%.

And then as soon as it does hit 100%, you should drive it to get down to at least 90% and preferably 80% immediately. So best time to do a 100% charge is before a road trip, using the scheduled departure setting, with the departure time set for 1 hour before your intended departure time (which in practice means it'll probably hit 100% 0-30 minutes before you actually depart).