Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 100% charge, all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've a model 3 long range coming. Will Tesla/software stop from charging to 100% all the time? or are the new batteries now 100% given the hidden buffer?

Its a company car so I'm not worried about the battery in 4 years time etc.

I've a model 3 long range coming. Will Tesla/software stop from charging to 100% all the time? or are the new batteries now 100% given the hidden buffer?

It will warn you about harming battery longevity if you consistently charge over 90%. It will not stop you from doing it. If you need to charge to 100% to make it through your daily routine, do it. If you don't need 100%, charge to 90% or whatever will get the job done.

Charging the LR to 100% all the time really isn't necessary most of the time, the battery doesn't like it and its less enjoyable to drive, particularly in traffic as there is little to no regen above 95% charge anyway. It makes one pedal driving impossible. Right now my car shows me 303 miles available at 90%, that should be enough for any first leg of the day. Supercharging is quick and you can be on you way with 70-80% again soon. You can set the slider so it stops charging at any point from 50% upwards.

Why not take reasonable care of the battery anyway? Just because you will be handing the car on to someone else after four years, wouldn't it be better to reduce resource use and have it last as long as possible?

Polish_20211020_122647468.png

• Funny
Reactions: btc1k
Charging the LR to 100% all the time really isn't necessary most of the time, the battery doesn't like it and its less enjoyable to drive, particularly in traffic as there is little to no regen above 95% charge anyway. It makes one pedal driving impossible. Right now my car shows me 303 miles available at 90%, that should be enough for any first leg of the day. Supercharging is quick and you can be on you way with 70-80% again soon. You can set the slider so it stops charging at any point from 50% upwards.

Why not take reasonable care of the battery anyway? Just because you will be handing the car on to someone else after four years, wouldn't it be better to reduce resource use and have it last as long as possible?

Good to know they don't tend to remotely restrict.

That's a really poor attitude - look after it and it will last for years, just because it's not for you doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Although the original question isn't showing here is Elon's response to a similar question
"It’s not a big deal. Charge to 90% to 95% & you’ll be fine. At 100% state of charge, regen braking doesn’t work, because the battery is full, so car is less energy efficient."

that makes sense, however if you're just knocking out motorway milage, there's not much regen to be done and that 5 or 10% extra will help more than hinder.

Most my trips will be long ones, so i'll be looking to use full capacity, thats what i'm paying for.
its up to you but within 4 years you will see a bigger reduction in range if you do this all the time than if not and so the times when you really need the max range you will have less of it.
Its not just charging to 100% that is bad its also how long you leave it there so if you can time it to get to 100 not long before you leave that will help if you are at all interested in preserving the battery.

its up to you but within 4 years you will see a bigger reduction in range if you do this all the time than if not and so the times when you really need the max range you will have less of it.
Its not just charging to 100% that is bad its also how long you leave it there so if you can time it to get to 100 not long before you leave that will help if you are at all interested in preserving the battery.

There also seems to be a confusion between real range on the road vs what the charge management system says is available. To maintain a sane perspective I only ever look at percentage rather than the elusive bitch of calculated miles.

Thats fine, I only need to keep it 3 years. 100% charging should have minimal impact during my time with it.