Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100d is coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see Supercharger policy change as a factor for the timing for 100D.

It doesn't when Supercharger policy change is introduced, timing for 100D is contingent on the ability to fill the demand of current P100D.
He means Tesla is slave to the all mighty stock price. They picked their horse for increasing q4 demand and can save 100d for q1 2017.

Just like p100d announced a month before 2.0. Announcing together would have helped their top of the line buyers, but separating got them a couple points on the stock price.

(Which they dropped their price with solar city push)

It may well have been true that only 200 or so per month could be made. Soon enough could mean anything. I would think about 2-months from now they will have most of the first wave in production. But what do I know? If demand is overwhelming, Tesla will rarely come to actually build their more atttractive cars as the overdone ones are made first, and then a new top model is introduced.
I wonder how S&X production is expected to ramp up alongside Model 3's ramp up to 500,000/year. Now at about a 100,000/year rate. I would think demand could grow a good bit more still.

I was referring to the "unwise" part of your statement. It looked like you were stating P100D owners lack wisdom.

I was referring to the "unwise" part of your statement. It looked like you were stating P100D owners lack wisdom.
I think they have more money than wisdom in car purchases, sure.
It's no secret that the fully loaded cars are barely of higher cost than the base model. +40kWh at $200-400/Kwh. A bigger rear motor (and a small one extra (doesn't break the bank), a smart fuse that costs 1% of its surplus maybe. Typically well over twice the base model?
Just the 90>100 battery upgrade is $10k while a 14kWh powerwall is $5500. Yes, 2.5x as expensive than a separately sold product in its own retail format.
Products that offer great value for money tend to attract well-informed buyers.
Products with party tricks (really quick 0-60, unsafely so evven for the types of drivers that drive family cars), tend to attract those that use the item to brag about a bit. Overspending $50 (and then some) sure deserves bragging rights, but not as to their clever purchase.
Wonderful that they help fund Model 3 actually ending up $35K, but they do it to impress other people with their purchase, and have a bit of overpriced fun.
Would I want a P100DL? Hell yeah, no car I'd rather have. And I even follow a lot of the supercar stuff, car racing, etc.
Would I buy one if I received a $150K car cheque? No way. I'd get two S60's. Maybe one a D or 75 if I could squeeze that, no options then other. They're stunning cars in and out. And no, I can't see myself buying a non-Tesla until something big changes in automotive. I've actually lost my appetite to drive ICE cars at all (I am carless right now). Tesla or bust, but S60 is going to do all the friend and neighbor impressing I'll ever need. And I even live in the #12 wealthiest country according to a list I found.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and DIL
He means Tesla is slave to the all mighty stock price. They picked their horse for increasing q4 demand and can save 100d for q1 2017.

Just like p100d announced a month before 2.0. Announcing together would have helped their top of the line buyers, but separating got them a couple points on the stock price.

Yes, thank you. Exactly what I was referring to. It's been pretty clear with the timing of these announcements that it was meant to maximize the numbers delivered for quarterly statements for investors. I understand that it is continent on ability to produce the packs, but it was more a question if the so-called 'inside info' from xborg is valid. For example in post #87: "This is just a game. I'm telling you, everything is ready for 100D. They are just trying to keep it as a premium option so that more people would order a P100DL."

January 1, 2017 -- so no "free" supercharging that monster of a battery.

Good point! I was stuck thinking on the referral credit, but you're right, orders from January 1st should see a drop in demand and may spur sooner 100D release if pipeline isn't filled enough for the quarter if we are lucky. It sounds like current 2016 order holders (scheduled for delivery before April) would still get the "free" supercharging, but I wonder if making the change to 100D after Jan 1st then those would still be grandfathered in, preserving the order date.

It's no secret that the fully loaded cars are barely of higher cost than the base model. +40kWh at $200-400/Kwh. A bigger rear motor (and a small one extra (doesn't break the bank), a smart fuse that costs 1% of its surplus maybe. Typically well over twice the base model?
Just the 90>100 battery upgrade is $10k while a 14kWh powerwall is $5500. Yes, 2.5x as expensive than a separately sold product in its own retail format.
Products with party tricks (really quick 0-60, unsafely so evven for the types of drivers that drive family cars), tend to attract those that use the item to brag about a bit. Overspending $50 (and then some) sure deserves bragging rights, but not as to their clever purchase.
Wonderful that they help fund Model 3 actually ending up $35K, but they do it to impress other people with their purchase, and have a bit of overpriced fun.
Would I want a P100DL? Hell yeah, no car I'd rather have. And I even follow a lot of the supercar stuff, car racing, etc.
Would I buy one if I received a $150K car cheque? No way. I'd get two S60's. Maybe one a D or 75 if I could squeeze that, no options then other. They're stunning cars in and out. And no, I can't see myself buying a non-Tesla until something big changes in automotive. I've actually lost my appetite to drive ICE cars at all (I am carless right now). Tesla or bust, but S60 is going to do all the friend and neighbor impressing I'll ever need. And I even live in the #12 wealthiest country according to a list I found.

Just because it doesn't meet your cost to value criteria doesn't mean you need to insult and generalize those it does.

Value for money is subjective. I value a car with performance properties more than you do. There's nothing wrong with either of us.

I bought it because it's a family car that does a really quick 0-60 among other reasons otherwise I'd be tempted to own two cars to meet each purpose.

I saved for five years and will need a few more to finish paying it off because it will make ME happy. If I was the only person to ever see it I'd spend the money all over again. I actually don't like the attention that my Harley brings or the flak I've received for ordering a Tesla. I shouldn't have to receive more on a Tesla forum.

Am I rich? Not even close. Is this the best financial decision I've ever made? Nope. Is it going to be worth every dollar? Absolutely.

So if you had the money such that it wouldn't make a difference to you at all between the price of a 60 and a P100DL you'd get the 60?

Yeah, right... :rolleyes: I'm not buying it for a second.

Besides, it's the purchasers of the P vehicles that are doing the most to support Tesla's mission. My hat goes off to them!

Hey, I have the capacity to afford the highest end model and instead opted for the lowest battery size offered at the time of my order. (75) There is a HUGE gap in cost between what I ordered and what a P90/P100DL would have cost. So much so that the extra dough I saved can allow me to go buy a car that is much more engaging and fun to drive then the Tesla... like a Ford Focus RS or even a Alfa Romeo 4C. Yes, the MX 75D will only get to 60mph in 6.0 seconds.. and I am alright with that. The job of the Tesla is not to rip corners and hit apexes on the weekend.

• Love
Reactions: Cloxxki and DIL
So if you had the money such that it wouldn't make a difference to you at all between the price of a 60 and a P100DL you'd get the 60?

Yeah, right... :rolleyes: I'm not buying it for a second.

Besides, it's the purchasers of the P vehicles that are doing the most to support Tesla's mission. My hat goes off to them!
You should see my otherr purchases, all my life :)
I raced mountainbikes and was always on some unlikely brand that fitted my needs to a T, decorated with parts that were not color matched at all, having specs I was going for. Price being a very big deciding factor. And I could have afforded more, but chose not to.
If I was gifted a $150K car budget, I'd not get the P100DL, even though it's my #1 car. It'll depreciate so much, and can only be in one place at a time. I'd rather have small studios in 2 places and an S60 park somewhere near each than a decent appartment in one place with just the P100DL. My genuine subjective choice. And I can sell one S60 when I don't feel like working for a year, or two for that matter.
The depreciation on a P100DL is more than most people spend on housing. Even in rich countries. It goes really fast for 3 seconds yeah. But if I want that, I'll build something myself that'll do it, or just purchase a $10K shifter cart as a track tool. Or an Ariel Atom on a trailer behind a used X60.

It's great that Tesla has found a niche that get them "insane" margin in automobiles, and with this can accelerate development of model 3, and not dilute stock too much. It doesn't make the buyers particularly smart buyers. Carbe diem? Sure! And at least not doing loud burnouts with outrageous ICE cars.

Hey, I have the capacity to afford the highest end model and instead opted for the lowest battery size offered at the time of my order. (75) There is a HUGE gap in cost between what I ordered and what a P90/P100DL would have cost. So much so that the extra dough I saved can allow me to go buy a car that is much more engaging and fun to drive then the Tesla... like a Ford Focus RS or even a Alfa Romeo 4C. Yes, the MX 75D will only get to 60mph in 6.0 seconds.. and I am alright with that. The job of the Tesla is not to rip corners and hit apexes on the weekend.
Smart buyer alert!

You should see my otherr purchases, all my life :)
I raced mountainbikes and was always on some unlikely brand that fitted my needs to a T, decorated with parts that were not color matched at all, having specs I was going for. Price being a very big deciding factor. And I could have afforded more, but chose not to.
If I was gifted a $150K car budget, I'd not get the P100DL, even though it's my #1 car. It'll depreciate so much, and can only be in one place at a time. I'd rather have small studios in 2 places and an S60 park somewhere near each than a decent appartment in one place with just the P100DL. My genuine subjective choice. And I can sell one S60 when I don't feel like working for a year, or two for that matter.
The depreciation on a P100DL is more than most people spend on housing. Even in rich countries. It goes really fast for 3 seconds yeah. But if I want that, I'll build something myself that'll do it, or just purchase a $10K shifter cart as a track tool. Or an Ariel Atom on a trailer behind a used X60.

It's great that Tesla has found a niche that get them "insane" margin in automobiles, and with this can accelerate development of model 3, and not dilute stock too much. It doesn't make the buyers particularly smart buyers. Carbe diem? Sure! And at least not doing loud burnouts with outrageous ICE cars.

You and I value different things...the critical distinction is that you're calling me stupid for not sharing your values.

Depreciation means nothing to me as I don't intend to resell.

I'd rather have a big house on a large plot of land with a bunch of motorcycles and a stupid fast car that I can still haul whatever I want to in it. That doesn't make you stupid for wanting two little studios...

I really want to be able to drive 300 miles in a x with my family without having to stop for 15-45 minutes. Listening to all you guys talk makes me think at least a 110 will be out in 12 months. But like a computer you can't keep holding out or you end up pushing it off forever. I'm getting a 24 hour test drive of an x tomorrow to see if the range will suffice for my daily needs.

Reactions: brianman
I really want to be able to drive 300 miles in a x with my family without having to stop for 15-45 minutes. Listening to all you guys talk makes me think at least a 110 will be out in 12 months. But like a computer you can't keep holding out or you end up pushing it off forever. I'm getting a 24 hour test drive of an x tomorrow to see if the range will suffice for my daily needs.

Elon Musk: Tesla To Probably Stop At 100 kWh Battery

Now is a great time to buy if you're a road tripper with unlimited free supercharging soon to be a legacy feature

If you notice, they set the cut off date for delivery of the "free SpC" orders at April 1st, so it's actually more of a Q1 push than a Q4 push because the numbers go by delivery, not order. The AP 2.0 announcement was more of a Q4 push. Because of production delay on any announcement that's made, it's always a couple/few months before the payoff. I had the same thought when I first read the announcement. It was something like, "Hmmm....this may help refine people's speculation on exactly when 100D will pop up in the design studio..." Anyone who doesn't realize how specifically these announcements are timed hasn't been paying attention or just don't know how the game is won. Gotta keep flogging the mule if you wanna keep climbing that hill...

Reactions: Zoomit