Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D supercharging speed - slow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

On our MS 2017, 100D the supercharging speed is drastically reduced. Ok, it has about 200k miles already, but still.

Here some information I have about the speed.

5% 156kW
15% 138kW
20% 122kW
28% 104kW
30% 95kW
35% 90kW
40% 77kW
50% 54kW
70% 28kW
80% 16kW
85% 9kW (!)

The range is about 265mi shown when full. According to ScanMyTesla the nominal pack is 81,3kWh.

I am not really amused.. before buying I never heard anything about tapered 100D Models..

Thanks!

Update: I found out one module is worse than the others. At 86% it shows as follows. Imbalance at 65mV!

Not good.. thankful for any comment!

Attachments

• 8D7E2444-0375-48C4-B922-4AD54BF75A1C.jpeg
    8D7E2444-0375-48C4-B922-4AD54BF75A1C.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Here some more pictures, at about 40% and 15% SoC.

As you can see the 9th module isn’t behaving correctly, am I right? Thanks!

Attachments

• D757DC63-43A3-42C8-88E8-225756E2B3B6.jpeg
    D757DC63-43A3-42C8-88E8-225756E2B3B6.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 18E39B4C-9879-450A-9336-91FF29885F07.jpeg
    18E39B4C-9879-450A-9336-91FF29885F07.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 218
Yes, as during high SOC it has more than the rest and during low SOC lower voltage, it seems to have overall lower capacity - the charging is definitely slower due to the one faulty module.. Surprisingly the BMS is still running the pack :D But probably can happen at that high mileage. I would consider changing the single module for another one... It might also be bad BMB board which is discharging the whole module... Definitely needed to check the pack from inside for moisture occurrence and so on...

Last edited:
Reactions: wodnik7
Yep, then you're safe...just use it even though I'd not recommend to drive far away and it will fail one day... Maybe with speaking by your data they might accept it even today...you can give it a try ;)
CorreCt, I’ll try to tell them, but first they have to change the side cameras as the don’t initialize; after 6 years of driving a tesla I learned to not tell too much at once:) otherwise they are a bit overwhelmed:))

Did you try charging to 90%? You can leave it plugged in for 3 hours after you get to 90% and see if it fully balances. Tesla told me that the pack should balance automatically. If there is still no change, then try charging it to 100% and drive within 10 minutes after the charge fully completes. If the problem still exists, then I think you should schedule an appointment through the Tesla app and explain the issue, plus show your data.

Reactions: GtiMart
Did you try charging to 90%? You can leave it plugged in for 3 hours after you get to 90% and see if it fully balances. Tesla told me that the pack should balance automatically. If there is still no change, then try charging it to 100% and drive within 10 minutes after the charge fully completes. If the problem still exists, then I think you should schedule an appointment through the Tesla app and explain the issue, plus show your data.
Honestly I didn’t have patience to do so. It supercharges till 87-88%, having only few kW. I can try at home though, but I think, it will not go till 100%. Or it will take forever..

It's okay if it takes forever at home. Leave it plugged and let it do its job. Hopefully that long time is all it needs to balance.

I will see then, but as the module has too more voltage than the others at the end of charging but loses it faster than the other modules shows it has less capacity so it is being stressed more. In the end I am really amazed - as @ResHacker - that the car still behaves ok even though the issue is obvious. When looking at the temperatures this modules is also a bit warmer than the others, all the time-showing it is being under constant stress too.

If it's just imbalance, it might take a while for that module's voltage to lower as balancing takes place? I'm going from what I read, I'm not an expert at this sort of situation. I would at least try to leave it plugged for a long while at over 90% target and see if something good comes out of it.

If it's just imbalance, it might take a while for that module's voltage to lower as balancing takes place? I'm going from what I read, I'm not an expert at this sort of situation. I would at least try to leave it plugged for a long while at over 90% target and see if something good comes out of it.
Well, I will try of course but as the module is almost full at about 87% the balancing process (getting the other ones full too) would take forever.
And I don’t think this is only a balancing issue as the module is getting empty faster than the other ones as mentioned before.

Reactions: GtiMart
Ok, now the car broke down at 6% and I had to call towing. After 30minutes the range dropped to 1% and then to 0% finally.

I forgot my other phone to check the battery but it seems to be finally broken.
It is probably not entirely broken, just the BMS switched the battery off due too low voltage on your problematic module nr. 9. Do you have any fault codes? You can try to charge it at home...