Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D vs Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for used 2020 to 2022 MS Long Rang but am confused (and seeing confusion in some offers) on how to tell a 100D from a 100D Long Range without actually seeing the car. Is there a code attached to the HIN? Other than seeing the dash display? Thanks
The Long Range was not referred to as a 100D. There was a Long Range and a Performance.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
BTW, the Long Range Plus replaced the Long Range in May-June, 2020. It got over a 400 mile range rating.

And then, when the "Refresh" Model S hit, we changed names back to just "Long Range" ... just to add to the confusion.

So a 2021 Long Range is newer (and quite different) than a 2021 Long Range Plus. But a 2020 Long Range is older than a 2020 Long Range Plus.

Sheesh!

Upvote 0
And then, when the "Refresh" Model S hit, we changed names back to just "Long Range" ... just to add to the confusion.

So a 2021 Long Range is newer (and quite different) than a 2021 Long Range Plus. But a 2020 Long Range is older than a 2020 Long Range Plus.

Sheesh!
Wow. Maybe I need to hire a “coach” just to get me thru this BALL OF CONFUSION. The Tesla SErvice Center crew seem to mean well but for the most part really don’t know what they are talking about and never bothered to put in the effort to learn the history/nuances of the Tesla trail.

Upvote 0
Make sure to actually get a long range and not a 100D. Just drove one for a few days as a loaner and it's no more efficient then my 85D...heck I'd say less efficient due to the added weight. Was getting similar efficiency numbers on my daily routine trips.
Thank you for your clarifying input. I’m starting to lose interest in moving up because of all the mind- bending nomenclature diversions. Overheard at the office break room “ hey!! I know…..let’s REALLY tweet ’em”

Upvote 0
To Make It more confusing, there was a battery Rev change to the LR+ in late 9-20. Rev H replaced Rev G. This is the model that went from 351-> 371 miles on the X and from 391->402 on the S. Made H bat from rest of 2020 model and through 12-20 when the shut down the line for the refresh. From 11-20 to 12-20, those were pre-refresh cars but sold as 2021 model year with H battery. That battery was 104 kw I believe. Can see the bat Rev by turning front tires to left and looking into pass wheel well. Sticker on battery will have Rev.

Then the refresh hit in 6-21 S and 10-22 for the X. Tesla get some efficiency gains for a plus and shrunk the battery by 5kw to 99(as a minus). Saves cost and wieght. S went to 405 but X drop to a worse 348 est miles. Can't see sticker as covered up on the refresh cars.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
Does anyone know if there is any sort of tracking available that would delineate/chronicle all these changes by VIN??

Not particularly, but here's a fairly quick breakdown for you.

Prior to 2019, Model S had a numeric name ...

Model S 60: 60 kWh battery
Model S 75D: 75 kWh battery, "D" for Dual Motor
Model S P90D: 90 kWh battery, "D" for Dual Motor, "P" for Performance

Then, 2019 brought us the "Raven" update. This brought a new suspension and other smaller changes to Model S.

2019 Long Range - "Raven", dual motor.
2020 Long Range Plus - "Raven", dual motor, more range.
2021 Long Range Plus - "Raven", dual motor, more range (small bump over 2020)

Then, in 2021, the "Palladium" refresh happened. This was the Big Bang - a much different chassis underneath it all.

2021-2023 Long Range - "Palladium"
2021-2023 Plaid - "Palladium" Performance model

So the only place where it's really confusing is 2021 -- Long Range Plus is the older "Raven" style, Long Range is the "Palladium" vehicle.

• Informative
Upvote 0
If you are evaluating the LR+ (2021) and the LR (2023) I made an extensive comparison: Model S Comparison for 2021 – TeslaTap

I wouldn't worry much about the battery size in the last 3 years. It varied slightly as others pointed out. I'd go by the range specified by the specific version which combines the battery size and efficiencies Tesla has made to the vehicle.

I also have a list of versions and dates: Timelines for Vehicles and Variants – TeslaTap

You can see the manufacturing date of a car by opening the driver's door and looking at the top of the sticker on the B-pillar.

• Love
Upvote 0
Not particularly, but here's a fairly quick breakdown for you.

Prior to 2019, Model S had a numeric name ...

Model S 60: 60 kWh battery
Model S 75D: 75 kWh battery, "D" for Dual Motor
Model S P90D: 90 kWh battery, "D" for Dual Motor, "P" for Performance

Then, 2019 brought us the "Raven" update. This brought a new suspension and other smaller changes to Model S.

2019 Long Range - "Raven", dual motor.
2020 Long Range Plus - "Raven", dual motor, more range.
2021 Long Range Plus - "Raven", dual motor, more range (small bump over 2020)

Then, in 2021, the "Palladium" refresh happened. This was the Big Bang - a much different chassis underneath it all.

2021-2023 Long Range - "Palladium"
2021-2023 Plaid - "Palladium" Performance model

So the only place where it's really confusing is 2021 -- Long Range Plus is the older "Raven" style, Long Range is the "Palladium" vehicle.
Wow. Very informative; THANK YOU. Do you think my local Service Center would be able to shed some light as to when (VIN # or code) when that 2021 changeove happened?

Upvote 0
Wow. Very informative; THANK YOU. Do you think my local Service Center would be able to shed some light as to when (VIN # or code) when that 2021 changeove happened?

Good morning! Yes, I’m sure they’d know the difference. It’s easy to tell yourself though - if the main screen is vertical, it’s not a “Palladium” (refresh / 2021+ Long Range.)

If it’s horizontal, it’s definitely one of the new Palladium models.

Upvote 0