Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11.3.3 : Lane change override only turning off turn signals. New bug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this is new or not but I've never encountered it before. Twice now since updating to 11.3.3, when I pushed the stalk to cancel an ill-advised lane change (FSDb) the turn signals stopped blinking but the car continued to make the lane change. Had to wrest control back by yanking on the steering wheel to keep it in the correct lane. I think this is very dangerous since you are led to believe the car has aborted the lane change unless you are looking at the screen (the screen still shows the lane change animation and the car starts to move over - just no turn signals). Anyone else experience this?

You only have a second or two to cancel the lane change. If you setup lane change confirmation its too late to cancel once you hear the confirmation chime. You have to cancel with turn signal stalk as soon as it turns on the blinker but before you hear the confirmation (if turned on).

Lastly, when you press the stalk to cancel the lane change the option will be displayed in the lower left of the screen to minimize lane changes for the remainder of the drive.

With that said I wish Tesla would give the option to either minimize lane changes all the time or so require confirmation like it was able to do previous.

There isn’t such an option in FSDb v11. I didn’t know you could cancel FSDb lane changes using the turn signal.
This has kinda-worked for some time. Previously, it would almost immediately try the same lane change again rendering it useless but now it seems to heed your input for longer so is actually useful. Not as good as lane confirmation, though, since the other cars still see your turn signal blink once or twice until your cancel. Also, occasionally, it will just switch the turn signal to the opposite direction and then you have to cancel THAT which really makes you look like an idiot. Not always, so I suspect this happens when the computer also decided to abort the lane change at the same time and so interpreted your stalk input as a signal to change lanes instead of just aborting the auto-lane-change.

There's definitely an option to confirm the lane change, however it only confirms it with a sound. It does not wait to change lanes until you confirm. It's in the autopilot settings for FSD beta. But again it does not wait for you to confirm it simply makes a sound or vibrates the wheel when it's going to change lanes. Perhaps a better term for it would be lame change alert rather than confirmation.

Canceling with the turn signal stock has to be done very quickly otherwise the vehicle will change lanes.

The "confirmation" is useful. I guess if you're not looking at the screen when it makes the sound, if you don't want to change lanes, you have to grab the wheel or disengage.

They definitely need to add a preference to disable all auto lane changes, route-based included. I assume they will eventually kill off the old AP stack fully, and even basic AP will use the new networks (but with lane change disabled). So that would mean the only way to get the preferred behavior (driver chooses lanes), would be to downgrade to a cheaper car without FSD.

I definitely agree with everyone clamoring for a lane change confirmation option. Have ranted about it's absence myself many times. However, we are getting a little off-topic here (I know - that NEVER happens :cool: ) So I will repeat the question: Has anyone else experienced, when overriding a lane change, the car turning off turn signals but continuing to make the lane change?

They definitely need to add a preference to disable all auto lane changes, route-based included. I assume they will eventually kill off the old AP stack fully, and even basic AP will use the new networks (but with lane change disabled). So that would mean the only way to get the preferred behavior (driver chooses lanes), would be to downgrade to a cheaper car without FSD.
I see that as being a big mistake if they don't restore it. I really like the way the old system handled lane changes. I think Tesla will eventually restore that before they replace the old system.

Reactions: jlaurie
I definitely agree with everyone clamoring for a lane change confirmation option. Have ranted about it's absence myself many times. However, we are getting a little off-topic here (I know - that NEVER happens :cool: ) So I will repeat the question: Has anyone else experienced, when overriding a lane change, the car turning off turn signals but continuing to make the lane change?
Yes. Seems like will happen if it wanted to make a faster lane change and I didn't jump on the cancel, turn signal maneuver quick enough.

Just wondering. Can you just hold onto the steering wheel and let it disengage? Re engage later. I just have no time to test this. Maybe later.
Yes. If you hold the wheel and prevent it from making the lane change it will disengage FSD. That is exactly what happens in this scenario. I try to cancel the change, turns signal stop, car keeps changing lanes, I fight it, car turns off FSD, I oversteer.

So, is that a solution? Just hold on to the steering wheel and reengage with one click to resume. Better than try to cancel lane change?

I am beginning to think may be the way to use FSD beta is to shadow drive like normal and let it disengage if FSD beta does not perform the way you like to drive. So instead of trying to see if FSD beta can drive without disengagement, just let it disengage as often as it wants to. This way we will have a lot of disengagements to feedback to Tesla for the NN training.

So, is that a solution? Just hold on to the steering wheel and reengage with one click to resume. Better than try to cancel lane change?

I am beginning to think may be the way to use FSD beta is to shadow drive like normal and let it disengage if FSD beta does not perform the way you like to drive. So instead of trying to see if FSD beta can drive without disengagement, just let it disengage as often as it wants to. This way we will have a lot of disengagements to feedback to Tesla for the NN training.
No. The solution is to fix the bug. As a work-around for now it isn't any better either - in fact worse since the turn signal will be false signaling to the cars around me longer so using the stalk to override is still the best solution. That usually works. We just need to be aware that this does not always cancel the lane change even if though the turn signal stops. So be prepared to follow up with firm steering correction. Usually, my work-around is to go ahead and disengage FSD whenever there is more than one lane and there are other cars sharing the road.

Help me understand the issue here. I'm only a peasant still on v10.

1. Does the option to minimize lane changes except for Nav work? I understand it's not a sticky switch. I also assume while driving on FSDb you can manually request your lane.

2. If you wanted to use FSDb without Nav, just don't put a destination in. With #1 and #2 both enabled I'd guess it would stay in that lane until it disappeared.

No?

Help me understand the issue here. I'm only a peasant still on v10.

1. Does the option to minimize lane changes except for Nav work? I understand it's not a sticky switch. I also assume while driving on FSDb you can manually request your lane.

2. If you wanted to use FSDb without Nav, just don't put a destination in. With #1 and #2 both enabled I'd guess it would stay in that lane until it disappeared.

No?
1) I always set minimize lane changes. It seems to help on the freeway but I have not noticed a significant reduction in erratic lane changes on surface streets. And yes, I do commonly "help" FSD by manually initiating a lane change. For example, if I know I am turning left in a mile and have three lanes to cross I will not wait for FSD to decide to start moving over - it commonly waits until too late - so I will use the turn signal to get it started moving over. Now this *has* gotten markedly better over the last couple revisions. There have been many times it started just as I was about to nudge it. So good progress there.
2) I actually want to use FSDb with Nav but I can test to see if the behavior persist if I do not put in a destination. My guess is it will because the erratic lane changes do not appear to have anything to do with upcoming turns, etc. Happens on straight sections when my next turn is miles away.

But again, getting off topic. The erratic lane changes are a well-known, well-documented problem. I am not bringing any new information to the table. What I found interesting was that it will do a lane change even when turn signals are stopped - I had not seen that before this rev.

Reactions: GalacticHero