Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

110 charging blows breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when I plug my mobile charger into a 110 outlet (first setting charge current to only pull 12 amps), as soon as I plug in, the charge current leaps to 48 amps and the breaker blows.
I have charged with 110 successfully in several other locations, but in the outlet in this garage it blows every time.
Does anybody have any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

A bad UMC as you should be limited to 12 amps. But even with 12 amps you could blow the breaker if other things are on the circuit. For example initially my garage doors and charger were on the same circuit and if I opened a garage door the circuit would alway blow.

If your UMC isn't the problem, then you have too much other stuff on that circuit. I've mapped out the wiring in several apartments and houses I've been in, and I've seen some STUPID stuff in nearly every one of them. Why is it so hard for an electrician to dedicate one 20 amp breaker per room and stick to it? Do I have to tell everyone what they're doing wrong?o_O

I wouldn't think it'd jump to 48 amps for any reason, way too high. Does it charge normally from other outlets or a 14-50?

Last edited:
If your UMC isn't the problem, then you have too much other stuff on that circuit. I've mapped out the wiring in several apartments and houses I've been in, and I've seen some STUPID stuff in nearly every one of them. Why is it so hard for an electrician to dedicate one 20 amp breaker per room and stick to it? Do I have to tell everyone what they're doing wrong?o_O

I wouldn't think it'd jump to 48 amps for any reason, way too high. Does it charge normally from other outlets or a 14-50?
Yes...charges fine from other 110 outlets and 14-50, and a 30-amp dryer outlet.
It’s the jumping to 48 amps that really has me baffled.

A bad UMC as you should be limited to 12 amps. But even with 12 amps you could blow the breaker if other things are on the circuit. For example initially my garage doors and charger were on the same circuit and if I opened a garage door the circuit would alway blow.
UMC works fine on other outlets (110, 30 amp, 50 amp)
It is only on this specific outlet that it jumps to 48 amps and blows the breaker.

I'd have an electrician in to look at that outlet, and map its wiring from the breaker.

Test for wrong polarity or voltage between hot, neutral, and ground.

Find out which plugs or devices are on that breaker.
I would use a basic electric tester to perform an initial diagnostic.

71bMt4B7GyL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: dhrivnak