Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1100 miles in one day?

Drive it in one day?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BLKMDL3

Supporting Member
Hello all,
I have a dillema. I have 4-5 days for a road trip next week and I ma taking my Model 3 to Yellowstone. But I want to do the drive in one day. I would leave LA at around 5:30AM and make it there around 9:30PM. But is it reasonable to do that? I would rather have more time in the park and to drive up to Butte and around there as a detour on the way home. Let me know with experiences.
Zack

It is 14 hour drive at the speed limit but I will exceed by a little. It will be about 16.5-17 hours including charging.

All I know is that's the distance from Boston to Florida. I've done it and there's no way I could have made it in 17 hours. It would be a 14 hour drive if the speed limit was 78 mph and you were the only car on the road, and the superchargers were on the highway, and they came with food, and your house and destination were on the highway. It sounds like you already had your answer, I just don't think it's possible without going 100 when there's clear traffic.

Reactions: BLKMDL3
I drove from Denver to Truckee back in July in an ICE car. I stopped for lunch for a half hour, and I was averaging about 75-80 all day long (Okay, maybe 85). Took me a 10 1/2 hours to get to Elko, NV (752 miles). Left Elko at around 7:00 the next morning, and rolled into Truckee at Noon the next day. Only stopped for gas and bathroom breaks that day, except for the half hour or so I took to stop off and snap a couple of pics of the Gigafactory... :)

Total trip was 1093 miles. I was pushing hard the whole time. No way I would have made it in one day, even with an ICE car. You can figure it taking longer in an EV. I'd say push it hard the first day, and then roll in the next day.

Reactions: BLKMDL3
And use abetterrouteplanner.com to lay out the trip on your computer. You can plug in departure times, which will give you real idea of arrivals at SC stations. You can then set certain stations for "longer visits" thereby having the car charge to 100% while you eat a meal. Configuring it that way will show you where you will arrive in the evening at a "reasonable" hour for sleeping.

Reactions: cizUK and ibdb
And use abetterrouteplanner.com to lay out the trip on your computer. You can plug in departure times, which will give you real idea of arrivals at SC stations. You can then set certain stations for "longer visits" thereby having the car charge to 100% while you eat a meal. Configuring it that way will show you where you will arrive in the evening at a "reasonable" hour for sleeping.
Been using it. I have 4 different plans saved already. great tool

Reactions: brkaus
Southern California to SLC is doable, maybe go as far as Ogden. We went from Orange Co. to Green River Utah in a day when we had our first model S with the type A battery. About 5 supercharger stops in a day is enough for me.

You can def do it... I've Driven to Orlando from NYC
Ditto, did DC to Orlando, left at 3:30PM (did hit some DC traffic), arrived in Orlando at 7:30 AM, only stopped to charge and napped at all chargers along the way. It took longer than I expected even with a second driver, because I kept oversleeping at the charging stops...which was a good thing...

EV Trip Planner said: Actual:
Distance 861.1 miles I did the same
Driving Time 10:57 I did less (did 85 + most of the way and a lot more on certain sections)
Charging Time 4:25 I did more (overslept a couple of times and had to charge longer due to higher speeds)
Total Trip Time 15:23 I did more 16:00 hours (but pretty close)
Total Energy Used 373.2 kWh Who cares I don't track usage, bet it was more due to speed.
1,244 RM
Average Efficiency 433 Wh/mile Whatever
Net Elevation Change -243 feet Ok, minimal impact
Download Route CSV

• Funny
Reactions: alloverx
I've done three trips across the US in my S and X. A thousand mile day isn't all that hard if you start early and time your recharging when you have to stop for breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid afternoon, dinner and a late snack. That's six stops. I always plan to charge as much as possible at breakfast, lunch and dinner. At other stops I charge for what I need to make it to the next stop. Long summer days make it much easier. Short winter days are hard. Driving at night is tiring and you really have to watch out for things on the road, i.e. deer, skunks etc. The autopilot makes driving so much easier, I won't drive any car but the Teslas on a trip.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and xav-
Yeah, that’s at minimum two long days. You need to rest... it’s not like you bought a self driving car!

If you’re very disciplined at sleeping during the day, you could working in sleep breaks between multiple driving shifts sleeping in the trunk with the back seats down. Still be over 24 hours I would think.

I will chime in- I did 700 mile in my Model S one time several years ago and that was pushing it, I can average 50MPH including charging time on long trips. So my 700 miles in one day took me 14 hours, that was too long, I think 450 to 500 miles is a really good distance to travel in one day- Start with a full charge, stop after a couple of hours for a short break - then stop for a long lunch to charge pretty full, then stop mid afternoon for another short break, and finish up the day around 6- plug in and charge - topping off just before you leave the next morning. Of course the superchargers have to be spaced just right to do that. I do use evtripplanner to do my planning and find it's pretty accurate in both time of travel and energy usage. Good luck on the trip and may you find open stalls at each supercharger you encounter, So far we've been lucky and have not waited to charge anywhere, we did get the last stall in SLC one time though!

You loose an hour, time-zones. I don't see how you can average 78 mph (1100/14). Google route shows 15.5 hours and a better route planner shows at least 4 hours charging (no wind, charge start at 5%). It wouldn't be a stretch to go 110% speed limit and save an hour but you are still looking at 19.5 hours including time change. 120% isn't much faster as you have to charge more.
Also, where your driving you would need to watch for critters on road so going 100 mph+ would be risky. If alone go for it or just fly there. With someone else then break up the trip. I do 500 mile days with family trips.