Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 volt battery warranty issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

"12v battery needs service" - i am driving a p85+ still under warranty.

Tesla has informed me the 12v battery is only covered if the vehicles main battery has never been completely discharged.

Any experiences about this matter?

Regards

Hi

"12v battery needs service" - i am driving a p85+ still under warranty.

Tesla has informed me the 12v battery is only covered if the vehicles main battery has never been completely discharged.

Any experiences about this matter?

Regards

I've never heard that. I also think the car limits you from completely discharging the battery to prevent bricking of the pack. Sounds like a way of getting out of replacing batteries.

I assume “completely discharged” means to reach/sit at 0 range for a longish period of time (which is terrible for the main pack too...)

While this is the first I’ve heard if it, I can understand tesla’s Policy in this case, as the main battery is used/required to maintain the 12V and letting it sit is not good for it either..

Is this policy in writing somewhere? If the car is under warranty, I would take it in and let Tesla tell you what they will/won’t cover and why...

Main batterypack has reached 0 at one point for a few hours when parked, like a month before I got the error message. It was charged and no problems at all - not bricked or any special maintenance needed. I am still waiting for Tesla to get back to me concerning other issues, but I will have them assure me the battery change is under warranty to avoid a surprise invoice.

...if the vehicles main battery has never been completely discharged...

The rationale:

Lead acid 12V battery does not do well if it is discharged below 80% or 10.5 volts.

Yours is recharged by the main pack.

If your main pack is exhausted, it would try to stay alive and would sacrifice the 12V battery and not recharge your 12V battery until its State Of Charge is high enough for itself.

Main batterypack has reached 0 at one point for a few hours when parked, like a month before I got the error message. It was charged and no problems at all - not bricked or any special maintenance needed. I am still waiting for Tesla to get back to me concerning other issues, but I will have them assure me the battery change is under warranty to avoid a surprise invoice.

If it was really only 2-3 hours at 0, I can’t imagine that actually causing any problems with the 12V battery. The usual charge cycles when in standby are longer than that...

Again though, is this policy RE the warranty on the 12V battery in writing anywhere?

If it was really only 2-3 hours at 0, I can’t imagine that actually causing any problems with the 12V battery. The usual charge cycles when in standby are longer than that...

Again though, is this policy RE the warranty on the 12V battery in writing anywhere?
Another argument could be what the battery manufacturer warranties. I’ve never read a warranty on a 12v battery that says if it goes dead it’s no longer covered. If that was the case the manufacturer wouldn’t have to warranty many batteries since a lot of people leave something on at some point and kill the battery.

The 12 volt battery is not a wet cell lead acid battery. It is an AGM battery which tolerates deep discharge. The car charges the 12 volt battery about 4 times a day if the car is parked. It starts the charge when the SOC of the 12 volt battery drops to 50%. It will stop charging the 12 volt battery if the SOC of the HVB gets too low. I don't recall what the too low point of the HVB is.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Well, the case isnt settled yet and I think a lawyer might be a step too far at this point and I havnt found it on print anywhere in the warranty. My vehicle is at almost 130000KM and the 12v hasnt been changed for the past 2 years and 55000KM that I have owned it (Not that I know of - I got 10+ visits to service center with various problems) so my guess is that it could simply be worn out - also the fact that 1 month has passed since the "0" experience. Hopefully Tesla will get back to me today - they claim there is no problem in keep driving with the issue even though a message saying 12V battery must be replaced soon makes me wonder when it dies on me.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
Funny thing with my 12v replacement. My main battery never went to 0 (I think I got it down to 6.1 miles before pulling in the garage and plugging it in) but I got the "12v battery needs replacement" message. Blue Steel had 60k miles on her and I brought it in, expecting to pay since the car was out of warranty. Tech said it was still covered. I asked him to double-check given my mileage and he said the system showed it was covered. I said OK.

SC called back and apologized for an error and my battery was NOT under warranty. Would cost $150 all-in. Fine. That's what I expected. I didn't raise a fuss.

Got to the SC at the end of the day, and the tech said (paraphrase), "I talked with some of my co-workers and the manager about your warranty/non-warranty issue. We feel terrible we said it was when it wasn't. We're going to good will the battery replacement."

I've been to my local Service Center twice now. Both times they've been awesome, and not just because I got a free 12v battery. I wish all of you had the guys and gals we have here in Richmond at your SC's...

Well, I have only good things to say about Tesla Denmark staff as well, they have been great. I have just seen them too often since I bought the car. No response from Tesla SC today, we will se what tomorrow brings. I have studied the Danish version of the warranty again. Nothing is mentioned about this specific issue.

About 300 dollars in Denmark incl labour. Not an amount that will matter but I have bought an expensive vehicle with warranty, so I expect it to be covered. And I havent been told by Tesla I have to pay yet, still waiting for the answer - and just wanting to know if someone experienced the same situation.