Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 volt battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any subtle signs the 12 volt battery is losing its capacity. My concern is that we have to ride the ferry twice per week and it is about 30 minutes each way. So, there may be longer duration of load on the battery running HVAC, radio, seat heat, screen than the normal user doesn't get.

Are there any subtle signs the 12 volt battery is losing its capacity. My concern is that we have to ride the ferry twice per week and it is about 30 minutes each way. So, there may be longer duration of load on the battery running HVAC, radio, seat heat, screen than the normal user doesn't get.
When the HVAC is on the car is awake and it is not using the 12v battery, the 12v is only used when the car is asleep.

Upvote 0
The low voltage battery (Tesla previously used a conventional 12V lead-acid battery, now uses a 15.5V lithium battery module) is designed to last the life of the Tesla Model Y vehicle. While there have been some early failures of the low voltage lithium battery in the Tesla Model Y this is the exception. You should not experience any issue with the low voltage battery. Instead, prepare against the day your Tesla Model Y has a flat tire. A punctured tire is way more common than a failed low voltage battery.

Upvote 0
The low voltage battery (Tesla previously used a conventional 12V lead-acid battery, now uses a 15.5V lithium battery module) is designed to last the life of the Tesla Model Y vehicle. While there have been some early failures of the low voltage lithium battery in the Tesla Model Y this is the exception. You should not experience any issue with the low voltage battery. Instead, prepare against the day your Tesla Model Y has a flat tire. A punctured tire is way more common than a failed low voltage battery.
Exactly. Had a blowout-type flat on a very busy interstate with no spare, of course. Four hours, a tow truck and $350 later I was back on the road. No fun. As inconvenient as it is, I carried a donut spare in M3 suspended from the parcel shelf. Not sure how it will work with the MY, but I intend to carry it as long as the space is available.

Upvote 0
Well my 12 volt DIED at 15 months old.
2022 Model Y performance.
I had 10 minutes of warning, first a message like "electrical system unable to support all features"
Followed by "pull over safely" Vehicle shutting down.
And it did.
A little more advance notice would have been great!

The unfortunate reality is batteries sometimes fail all at once, as oppsed to a slow degradation which can be tracked. It is my understanding that a Tesla needs the 12V battery when awake to manage large changes in low-voltage power demands. So without it the car shuts down.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
My friend’s Model X which I sold him one month ago suddenly died.Car was three year old.No warning and CSR has to be towed.This is a problem which Tesla need to fix.Any comments.
Fixed; Newer Tesla vehicles now use a low voltage (15.5V) lithium battery module instead of the older 12V sealed lead-acid battery to maintain critical systems while the Tesla Model Y is parked, in Sleep mode. The low voltage lithium battery module is expected to last the life of the vehicle's other electrical system components, i.e. the high-voltage battery (8 years or 120,000 miles.). The new low voltage lithium battery requires the low voltage system to operate at ~16V instead of ~13.5V up to 15V. This creates compatibility issues for some 12V accessories, including some 120V power inverters, that shut down to protect the equipment if the input voltage exceeds 15V. The new low voltage lithium battery module cannot be retrofitted to older Tesla vehicles (different wiring, charging protocol.)

Upvote 1
Well my 12 volt DIED at 15 months old.
2022 Model Y performance.
I had 10 minutes of warning, first a message like "electrical system unable to support all features"
Followed by "pull over safely" Vehicle shutting down.
And it did.
A little more advance notice would have been great!
Do you mean the 12 V lead acid or the 15.5v Li-iron?
I would expect the latter in a 2022 Y.
I have watched vids showing how to open the front trunk, when a 12V dies, with a small 12v battery connected to the wires concealed behind the disc at the lower front of the car ( also for tow hook attachment). Would this also work on cars fitted with the Li-Ion 15.5 V in the , reputedly unlikely, event that the Li-Ion failed?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, the frunk is opened the same way. The wires in the tow hook cover activate a relay when attached to a 9V or 12V power source.
Thank you. But what next? The frunk is open, the 15.5 volt can be accessed. I am not going to get a jump start from a friendly ICE person. So, it's a call to Tesla or a road service to bring a replacement.
Here in the UK, the ** and the *** carry a few spare 12 V Lead Acid but I doubt they will be carrying Li-Ion 15.5 anytime soon.

On the bright side, a 15.5V failure is very unlikely ........ then again, s..t does happen😊

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you. But what next? The frunk is open, the 15.5 volt can be accessed. I am not going to get a jump start from a friendly ICE person. So, it's a call to Tesla or a road service to bring a replacement.
Here in the UK, the ** and the *** carry a few spare 12 V Lead Acid but I doubt they will be carrying Li-Ion 15.5 anytime soon.

On the bright side, a 15.5V failure is very unlikely ........ then again, s..t does happen😊
Do they sell MIC lithium battery jump starters in the UK? These are very compact, powerful when fully charged. Even the smallest capacity jump starter would be capable of booting the Tesla's computers (takes between 5 and 10 seconds, is all.) Then the Tesla DC-to-DC Converter will provide all of the needed low voltage power to keep things running.

My experience has been 50/50; i.e. the number of times I have needed to use my jump starter is about the same as the number of times I have been able to help other drivers to start their vehicle when they have a weak or dead battery. You can't use the Tesla vehicle's low voltage battery (12V lead-acid or the new 15.5V lithium battery) to jump start another vehicle using jumper cables. A small lithium jump starter saves the day.

In the US the NOCO brand of jump starter is popular. There are many other competitive jump starters. I like the JS2000 jump starter from TOPDON; this is the middle model, is more than capable of booting up a Tesla vehicle. Powerful enough to jump start most passenger vehicles, light trucks and vans (for this exact use case.)

Reactions: Wattsisname
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Perhaps this is a basic question, but I don't see an easy way (short of opening up the battery compartment and looking) to tell if my Tesla has the lithium 12 battery.

I have a 2023 Tesla Model S. Did these all come with the lithium 12 volt? If not, is there an easy way to tell what I have?

Upvote 0
Perhaps this is a basic question, but I don't see an easy way (short of opening up the battery compartment and looking) to tell if my Tesla has the lithium 12 battery.

I have a 2023 Tesla Model S. Did these all come with the lithium 12 volt? If not, is there an easy way to tell what I have?
Main menu->software, tap “Additional vehicle information”

Upvote 0
Do you mean the 12 V lead acid or the 15.5v Li-iron?
I would expect the latter in a 2022 Y.
I have watched vids showing how to open the front trunk, when a 12V dies, with a small 12v battery connected to the wires concealed behind the disc at the lower front of the car ( also for tow hook attachment). Would this also work on cars fitted with the Li-Ion 15.5 V in the , reputedly unlikely, event that the Li-Ion failed?
Some 2022 cars went back to Intel chips and 12V batteries for a short time. I cancelled my initial order because of this until they were all delivering with Ryzen/16v again.

Upvote 0

You have a Lithium 16V architecture.

Reactions: PEMDAS
Upvote 0