TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

12V battery, 3 months only?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Max*, May 10, 2017.

1. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Feb 10th - had my car in for service to replace the 12V battery, as I got the message that it needs replacing.

This is what Tesla did:
    Had the car in for service today for a fan bearing malfunction (was making a high frequency noise when the AC was on).

On my invoice, they told me that the replace battery message showed up, and they replaced it again.

I spend a decent amount of time talking to the service advisor (I think?) as to why my battery lasted for 3 months. And that I don't want to come back in 3 months again (first one lasted about 18 months). I was concerned that something is wrong with the car.

His response was something along the lines of "don't worry", "it might be a one off", "something might have just triggered a flag, and the techs replaced it to be safe", etc.

None of those are re-assuring. Anyone else had a battery go bad in 3 months? What was the cause? What was the fix?

2. Barry

Barry Member

When I got the car in April 2015, my first battery lasted 6 weeks when I got the warning you quoted above. Still on second battery, two years later.

• Informative x 1
  3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

What's interesting is that the two invoices describe the car/battery differently (though both appear to have the same battery part number.)

4. Max*

I noticed that too. Didn't bring it up though, since I couldn't get a straight answer as to why it lasted 3 months...

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The obvious easy answer would be that the replacement they gave you had a defect from the beginning.

But that's just speculation, and there could be lots of other possibilities.

Did you notice a change in your vampire drain before/after the replacements?

6. Max*

That was one of his theories, but he didn't seem confident in that theory... I guess it's occam's razor.

I don't really pay attention to it. I come to the car in the morning, it has about the same charge. Otherwise it sits in the garage at work for 8-10 hours, but I don't check before/after. So nothing out of the ordinary.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I have a dashcam wired directly to the 12V through a fuse and the Reus sound upgrade, so probably higher than average 12V usage. Power save on. Going on 2.5 years/60,000 miles and I'm still on my original 12V battery.

Do you hae power saving on, and do you have any extra accessories wired up?

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

I have a blackvue dual channel dash cam running off the 12 volt battery. The battery was replaced about 1.5 years when the car was 6 months old. The dash cam was added after so the extra draw has been on the replacement battery. It's due to out soon I'm sure :)

9. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

Another data point. I recently received the "12V Battery Needs Service" after almost 2.5 years on my original battery.

10. Max*

Need to check about power savings, no extra accessories wired in.