Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery, 3 months only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
Feb 10th - had my car in for service to replace the 12V battery, as I got the message that it needs replacing.

This is what Tesla did:
Tesla Feb 10th said:
Concern: Customer states: Alert appeared: 12V Battery Needs Service/Replace 12V Battery Soon

Pay Type: Warranty

Corrections: 12V Battery and Fuses General Diagnosis

Diagnosed and found a 12V needs to be replaced.

Corrections: Battery - Auxiliary - 12v - 2nd Generation

Removed and replaced 12v battery as needed.

Battery, 12V, DCS33-UNCR (1083774-00-A)

Had the car in for service today for a fan bearing malfunction (was making a high frequency noise when the AC was on).

On my invoice, they told me that the replace battery message showed up, and they replaced it again.

Tesla May 10th said:
Concern: Tech noted Alert appeared: 12V Battery Needs Service/Replace 12V Battery Soon

Pay Type: Warranty

Corrections: Battery - Auxiliary - 12V - 1st Generation (Dual Motor)

12v battery requires replacement. Replaced 12v battery

Battery, 12V, DCS33-UNCR, MS (1083774-00-A)

I spend a decent amount of time talking to the service advisor (I think?) as to why my battery lasted for 3 months. And that I don't want to come back in 3 months again (first one lasted about 18 months). I was concerned that something is wrong with the car.

His response was something along the lines of "don't worry", "it might be a one off", "something might have just triggered a flag, and the techs replaced it to be safe", etc.

None of those are re-assuring. Anyone else had a battery go bad in 3 months? What was the cause? What was the fix?

I noticed that too. Didn't bring it up though, since I couldn't get a straight answer as to why it lasted 3 months...

The obvious easy answer would be that the replacement they gave you had a defect from the beginning.

But that's just speculation, and there could be lots of other possibilities.

Did you notice a change in your vampire drain before/after the replacements?

The obvious easy answer would be that the replacement they gave you had a defect from the beginning.

But that's just speculation, and there could be lots of other possibilities.

Did you notice a change in your vampire drain before/after the replacements?
That was one of his theories, but he didn't seem confident in that theory... I guess it's occam's razor.

I don't really pay attention to it. I come to the car in the morning, it has about the same charge. Otherwise it sits in the garage at work for 8-10 hours, but I don't check before/after. So nothing out of the ordinary.

I have a dashcam wired directly to the 12V through a fuse and the Reus sound upgrade, so probably higher than average 12V usage. Power save on. Going on 2.5 years/60,000 miles and I'm still on my original 12V battery.

Do you hae power saving on, and do you have any extra accessories wired up?

I have a blackvue dual channel dash cam running off the 12 volt battery. The battery was replaced about 1.5 years when the car was 6 months old. The dash cam was added after so the extra draw has been on the replacement battery. It's due to out soon I'm sure :)

I have a dashcam wired directly to the 12V through a fuse and the Reus sound upgrade, so probably higher than average 12V usage. Power save on. Going on 2.5 years/60,000 miles and I'm still on my original 12V battery.

Do you hae power saving on, and do you have any extra accessories wired up?
Need to check about power savings, no extra accessories wired in.