Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery issues (error messages/car charging problems)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that you were able to have service remotely "reset the gateway" and install 4.2 to resolve this issue. They tried to push 4.2 to me last night and it failed because of the low 12V warning. I called them again this morning and was told that I needed to bring the car in to the service department. They also told me they couldn't check the actual voltage of my 12V battery remotely, even though multiple people on this forum have indicated that is possible. Finally, they said the car was fine to drive and I shouldn't worry, which seems odd since they haven't actually checked the voltage on the 12V.

Service called back and remotely "reset the gateway" which removed the erroneous 12V message. This allowed me to successfully install 4.2 (1.19.41). So it appears that a Ranger visit may not be necessary if you are unable to install 4.2 because of the 12V battery issue.

No explanation yet for the change in charging behavior last night, or whether that was related to the 12V issue.

Last edited:
There is an issue with the install and going from 4.1 to 4.2. If you have the battery warning activated, the install will fail and you will need to do a hard reset. Service did mine by pulling a fuse. I have read that others were able to get it accomplished by calling service and having them do a reset remotely. Point is don't be dissapointed if your install of 4.2 initially fails.

Jerry33 is right - if you take a strong paperclip or some other object and pry open the black plastic "grill" piece (upper right corner is a good place) you'll reveal two terminals, one with a red base and red plastic cap over it. I have an automatic battery charger (got it at Lowes last year for a Jet Ski battery), but any battery charger should do. Here's a photo of my setup.

Thank you for the very nice photos. I did not realize you had to take the entire nose cap off!!!! Any problems with removing the nose cap over and over??

Thank you for the very nice photos. I did not realize you had to take the entire nose cap off!!!! Any problems with removing the nose cap over and over??

I thought that you only had to take off a small portion that covered the terminals, but I've also read that the nose was changed when they went from Sig to Production, so it may be different, depending on which you have.

I think the only risk would be in at some point accidentally nicking the plastic of the nose cone - it's held in by metal clips, so while it may feel like you're about to snap it, it's been durable with the 3-4 times i've had to do it so far.

Funny thought tonight though - as i was leaving a parking area, i noticed two ICE cars setting up for a jump in the icy parking lot, and i thought that this isn't the most effortless setup if you needed to help somebody out with a jump; but perhaps thats a good thing as well, because you can't exactly "rev" the engine to boost the voltage (at least that's what this non-electrician thinks!).

> Anyone with a Production going to do a YouTube video on how to remove and reinstall a MS nose cone???? [montgom626]

No need for a video. Just start prying with a credit card at a lower corner & work your way around the entire nose cone. I saw shop dudes remove mine. Piece of cake. Did I mention 'use a credit card'?

@MaturinNYC - You wanna give someone's car a boost with your garden tractor battery??
--

Last edited:
>
@MaturinNYC - You wanna give someone's car a boost with your garden tractor battery??
--

lol - i heard they were wheelchair batteries...so we can boost any stranded wheelchairs!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Anyone with a Production going to do a YouTube video on how to remove and reinstall a MS nose cone????

I like wycolo's suggestion of a credit card - but i've used a strong paperclip and also a letter-opener to pry between the 'black' and 'chrome' areas of the nose cone. it's pretty simple, just work it off slowly, it's held on by simple metal clips. Just be sure to hang on to the red plastic cap for the positive terminal in a strong wind.

This morning my 12v. warning message was gone!! Tesla said it would go away and it did after 4 days. Tonight we will install 4.2. It was much nicer driving to the office this morning with no warning on the dash.

Version 4.2 update successfully installed last night. The fact that no one else is posting about 12V warnings and problems is a very good sign.

Unfortunately i'm still driving an ICE because of a mystery 12v error. So far we've gotten a new 12v battery and a whole new DC-to-DC converter module, but still the High Volt system does not seem to be recharging the 12v. Got a text from the tech (the very excellent Raphael for anyone in the NYC area) that he's coming by today to try and replace connectors - i haven't felt ignored at all, but it is frustrating to see the S sitting in my garage for 8 of the 12 days i've owned it. Fingers crossed that today's it!

Yesterday I took my car in to Fremont service and they took care of my 12V error and due list. Very nice people there and quite helpful. It's clear they are still ramping up their service department, but pretty smooth experience, all in all.

The 12V issue was described to me as a firmware problem. They cleared the error and then installed 4.2. All is fine as of right now.

Great to hear that most are addressed by the firmware update. Unfortunately mine is a deeper issue - i've had 4.2 and firmware updated for over a week now, but the 12v still isn't getting charged by the HV. The new theory is a bad connection, so now it's a matter of time and testing each connector to find the culprit. I'm braced for at least another few days - it is interesting to see the car apart as the techs hunt the problem. Bummer for me, but as a shareholder and fan I'm glad that i'm an isolated case!

[QUOTE=This reinforces to me that we REALLY need a thorough, thoughtful, comprehensive owner's manual for this car

My wife and I have a 85-kwh S that we picked up at the factory Dec. 15, and went through our own adventure with rebooting the screen's electronics and a 12v battery service warning - with a Catch 22 twist.

About three weeks ago I took the car from our garage in the East Bay, in broad daylight, and noticed the touchscreen was still in night mode. I got that fixed via control settings even though it was so dim it was hard to be sure what I was doing. Then I noticed the radio wouldn't work. The turn signals flashed, but no clicking noise. My iPhone wouldn't connect. I rebooted, hoping for the best. It went back to normal for a while but problems recurred four or five times, nearly every day. The 12v battery warning joined the chorus. I called Tesla service. As usual, the response was quick and friendly. The rep assured me the 12v was a faulty fault warning and not to worry about that. He expedited that the 4.2 update be pushed to the car. He told me that several owners were having similar problems and that the fresh software fixed most or all of it.

The next day, on using the clock-timer function atop the screen, I saw that the update would be installed at 2 a.m. the next day. Great! Except the next day it was still promising it for the day after that. After a couple of time, I waited till evening when we wouldn't be driving again - then ordered it to update right now. After the two minute countdown a brief notice told me that the update could not be installed because the 12v battery - which was supposed to be FIXED by that update - was too low to do whatever its job is during the installation.

By this time it was the weekend. Last Monday I phoned again. The rep in Palo Alto got me to service in Fremont, where an engineer remotely went in, confirmed that the battery actually is sound, and did a deep reboot of the car to clear the warning. I tried another immediate installation of version 4.2. It worked. An hour or so later we drove the car. It appears completely healed of its memory losses and other inanities.

This car, so complete and by a rookie company so soon after development began, is an industrial triumph. Plus, for us, it provides local jobs. I know these bugs would drive me crazy were it a standard lux. automobile, but it is not a standard car at all. Early adopters gotta expect bugs. All in all, still loving the beast. (Brown, 19" wheels, no pano, non-Performance, still quicker than I need but enjoying the thrill). And yes the floor mats are not up to snuff we don't have the ordered parcel shelf yet, no manual yet and no J1772 adapter. I'll wait. About 2300 miles on it already. Next week I'm off to a supercharger station so see how that works, have lunch with a pal, and drive back home. Whee. As our son told us, we are driving the future.