Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery issues (error messages/car charging problems)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voltmeters arrived today which plug into POWER OUTLET. Reads from 11v to 30 volts so good for Unimogs & Cat heavy equipment. From Amazon.

ModelS - actively charging: 13.5v

Roadster: 13.3v

Subaru Forester: 12.5v

So these 3 cars test 'normal'.

Also attached is photo of simple ModelS 12v battery 'cable to outside world' (the part on the left). The other part connects to a battery charger.
--
12v-30v-voltmeter.jpg
12vBatt_connector.jpg

12 Volt Battery Issue

Hey Guys. Just this afternoon after about 1 week of having my Model S Per. , i noticed an alert saying that the 12 Volt Battery needed to be serviced. I thought this was just a glitch in software, as this is only 1 week after delivery and only 96 miles on the car. I called up Tesla NY, and they said that I should try to reset both displays, which I did but didn't seem to work. Then he said to try to charge the car at 5 amps and wait 8-10 hours, as this may solve the problem. I am a bit worried as the nearest service center is about 80 miles away and they told me not to drive it for a whole week, until they can get back to me. Anyone have the same/ similar issue?

My Model S 85 was delivered on Dec. 26 and now has a bit over 700 miles on it (including an easy, trouble-free trip from Washington to New York using the Delaware Superchargers in both directions). About a week ago, however, I got the 12v battery warning reported by others on this thread. Local service rep agreed with me that it was it probably a software issue, but he was expecting a shipment of 12v batteries and would wait until he got them in to come by my house and check it out so he could replace the battery if necessary. The issue did not appear to affect the car's performance. Meanwhile Tesla pushed out a software update night before last [4.1 (1.19.13)]. The warning disappeared, but . . . when my wife and I got home from the movies last night and parked the car in the garage, the touchscreen would not shut off. After turning the car on and off the usual way several times, I gave up and shut it off with the control panel. Another oddity, when I started up in the theater parking lot and put the car in reverse, the backup camera didn't come on until I turned it on by touching the icon. For the record, the outside temperature last night was in the low 40s. I'll report on any further issues.

I got the "12V Battery Needs Service" message this morning. I phoned Tesla service before leaving the house, and they remotely confirmed that the 12V battery is reading 13.5V, so they said it should be safe to drive. They also said the 4.2 software update will fix the erroneous warning message, but they can't push the software update to my car until a service technician reboots the car to get rid of the warning message first. (NOTE: This is a FULL system reboot that needs to be done by a service technician...not the simple screen reboots done from the steering wheel.) They told me to drive to work, and they would remotely reboot the car at 9am (PST). I just checked on the car and the 4.2 software update was ready to install. It's installing now.

Before V4.2 was installed, the service rep said that they needed to clear the error remotely. The car now has V4.2 and the error is gone. V4.2 does not allow the car to power down when not in use, but the notes say that it is a high priority of theirs to fix it. I think that's just as well, there were several issues with my car not waking up properly with 4.1.

V4.2 does not allow the car to power down when not in use...

interesting that you read it that way derekt75 - i read the 4.2 update as "...suspended reduced power sleep mode", which I took as that the car will no longer drop into sleep mode automatically when it's in reduced power. This happened to me on Monday (when i was still running 4.1 - after hitting the battery hard with 2 hours of highway driving, cabin heat in ambient temps of 20, and no doubt battery heat), and the net effect was that the Tesla Service Rep had to jump thru additional hoops to get to the root of the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

btw - so far 4.2 has helped a little, but i still popped a 12v warning after 5 miles this morning, so i left it in the garage at home and i'll recharge the 12v tonight. In my case the belief is the DC - to - DC is bad, and so waiting on that part...but i was hoping it was just a software mgmt. issue.

How do you recharge the 12v?
Jerry33 is right - if you take a strong paperclip or some other object and pry open the black plastic "grill" piece (upper right corner is a good place) you'll reveal two terminals, one with a red base and red plastic cap over it. I have an automatic battery charger (got it at Lowes last year for a Jet Ski battery), but any battery charger should do. Here's a photo of my setup.

recharge.jpg

Attachments

• recharge.jpg
    recharge.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 475
I got the 12V battery warning/replace message this morning. I've called service and they have told me they will view the logs and see what's going on. I haven't heard anything back yet, but they did say I could continue to drive as normal. Definitely makes me nervous, however.

I'll provide updates as I get them.

I had the same warning message this morning. I called our service center and they checked the battery remotely. They said it read 13.4 V. and that I can keep driving. They said the message will go away in a day or two and then we will get the 4.2 update (I keeping my fingers crossed until then)