Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Battery Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am the guy referenced in that (sue Tesla) thread. I am still using the same Li Ion battery. Tesla gave me a hard time resealing my window because I had that battery in there. Hardly a bash on the battery, more on Tesla.

The 12v battery does not have the same charge/discharge loads as the main battery so thermal management isn't a concern.

The manufacture of said lithium ion battery said that they have sold thousands and there have been exactly zero failures. Considering how often people with lead acid post about problems or get stranded....and considering the lead acid battery fails by design after 5 years; I think it's absurd to claim that lithium tech isn't suited for Tesla's. Reminds me of the people claiming Tesla's catch on fire all the time....

Reactions: CravingMender9
So how many 5 year old lithium 12volts are out there in extremes climates and which name did the company have at that time?

Lithium batteries should not be charged below freezing, even my drill batteries will delay charging due to this.

Blindly dismissing this is foolish and the company is having SALESMAN answer technical questions............like the guy claiming he could make wheel bearings for an S that added 90miles of range. Little skepticism is healthy.

Blindly dismissing this is foolish and the company is having SALESMAN answer technical questions............like the guy claiming he could make wheel bearings for an S that added 90miles of range. Little skepticism is healthy.

Absolutely. We're talking about speculations and in that game, all we can do is go on the data we have. It's foolish to speculate something is bad or good in a court of ignorant opinions.

When you google, Amazon, forum search the Tesla 12v battery you'll find 2 things. 1. There are zero threads or posts with negative things to say from OWNERS of the lith ion 12v batteries, just positives. 2. There are hundreds if not thousands of people complaining about the lead acid battery giving them errors, needing to be replaced, leaving them stranded, etc.

I personally have had the upgraded battery for 3 years in temps below 0 deg f without a single issue. Once example doesn't make a rule but lots of people use these in sub temps and surely you'd have a lot of posts out there if they were frequently failing.