Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the 12v Battery Needs Service warning. After calling in, they tell me I should have 2-3 weeks before it dies. So I schedule the soonest mobile appointment the app will let me. A week later the mobile tech texts me that 12v batteries are out of stock with no ETA on resupply. I ask if I can take it to a service center and he said they are out of stock too. He empathetically mentions that he hopes they get them before my car dies. Yeah, me too.

Questions:

1) How is it remotely possible that a part so ubiquitous and is 100% required for Teslas to operate is out of stock?

2) Are there any alternative escalation mechanisms any more?

3) Do I have any other options other than hoping Santa brought Tesla some 12v batteries?

Thanks for any ideas.

Reactions: shokunin
I've heard it's more of a pain the butt to change them on older RWD models like mine, and I don't have tons of time between job & fam. Of course, I don't have time for a dead car either. Ugh. Just not exactly the binary choice I was hoping for at only ~5 years into ownership.

I've heard it's more of a pain the butt to change them on older RWD models like mine, and I don't have tons of time between job & fam. Of course, I don't have time for a dead car either. Ugh. Just not exactly the binary choice I was hoping for at only ~5 years into ownership.

I watched the mobile tech replace my RWD’s 12v and it didn’t seem difficult. There’s a YouTube video about it.

I would gladly replace it myself with a lithium. I’m sure it’s not too hard. but I would need to know of any side effects or unintended consequences to the charging schedule of it now that it is a different type than OEM.
And if Tesla would refuse any warranty issues later down the road because I made a change to the system like this.
I’m still under warranty for a couple more years.
I’m gonna dig around and see what I can learn about this. Must be some good info on the forums somewhere.

Warranty cannot and will not be voided on any part of the car, period, no if ands or butts! Your car will operate the same and you wont notice any difference at all.

Google this and you will find all your answers:

magnuson moss warranty act

Now your 12v battery may have failed prematurely but I don't know the specifics on the warranty on your car to say whether or not it should be covered. If you cant wait for a replacement and need your car then replace it on your own.

Last edited:
I have the Ohmmu 12v in my 2019 Model 3. One of the first mods I did. Love it! I have 2 devices using peak 5 watts all the time (Blackvue 2-ch d900s and a Teltonika RUT850 Automotive Wifi router) and with the lead acid the car would constantly wake from sleep every 2 hours to recharge the 12v. With the Ohmmu the car sleeps for 8 hours or more and then wakes up the charge. This is due to it maintaining higher voltage for longer than the lead acid batteries. I also am in cold climates here and have no issues at all with that either.

Reactions: ElectricLove
I'm in the same boat. My 12v warning alert appeared mid-december, scheduled mobile service and was told the same out of stock situation. They ordered a battery but had no idea when it would be back in stock.

If the battery dies, you could revive the car by removing the nose cone and apply 12v to the jumper terminals. Not sure where the jumpers are in the facelift versions.

I will not dispute the graphs supplied by Ohmmu .... but simply recommend that one consider those graphs are supplied by the manufacturer and not an independent agent.

I hope they are indeed accurate ... as I don't want to make this swap-out anytime again soon.

You replaced your 12V battery in an early 2013 RWD in less than 5 minutes? It took me more than that just to remove all the frunk trim. And I've worked on numerous vehicles since the early 60's.

Am I missing something here?

I guess I'm missing something. 30 seconds to remove the liner and pop the internal trunk release and light harness through the liner. 30 more seconds to remove the two 13 mm bolts and two 8 mm bolts holding the tub in.

The entire job is about 5 minutes vs over an hour for my 2004 Dodge Durango(no longer own it) and my 20 minutes for my 2009 Prius.

[/QUOTE]
I guess I'm missing something. 30 seconds to remove the liner and pop the internal trunk release and light harness through the liner. 30 more seconds to remove the two 13 mm bolts and two 8 mm bolts holding the tub in.

The entire job is about 5 minutes vs over an hour for my 2004 Dodge Durango(no longer own it) and my 20 minutes for my 2009 Prius.

Sorry; guess I'm missing something. Are we talking about the same thing? I didn't have to remove a light harness; nor was it only "two 13 mm bolts and two 8 mm bolts holding the tub in."

I don't want to disagree, but I'm having difficulty understanding ....