Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v switched power for Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm that on the passenger side footwell of my model Y the red wire pictured below( I put green tape around it) is 12v switched source it only becomes live after the brake is engaged. There are 3 red wires in the that bundle one is wrapped with a blue(not that one) one of the other 2 will be it, its the bundles of wires that kind of comes down in a
I can confirm that on the passenger side footwell of my model Y the red wire pictured below( I put green tape around it) is 12v switched source it only becomes live after the brake is engaged. There are 3 red wires in the that bundle one is wrapped with a blue(not that one) one of the other 2 will be it, its the bundles of wires that kind of comes down in a loop.
Thanks so much for this. I was able to hardwire my radar detector because of your instructions.

I can confirm that on the passenger side footwell of my model Y the red wire pictured below( I put green tape around it) is 12v switched source it only becomes live after the brake is engaged. There are 3 red wires in the that bundle one is wrapped with a blue(not that one) one of the other 2 will be it, its the bundles of wires that kind of comes down in a loop.

This is the money post right here. I watched several YT vids. I tried all kinds of red wires and nothing was switched. Also did not know what wire loom exactly as most YT vids just said it is "the one in the back". Well there are three "in the back".

This is the key. Their is only ONE that does a LOOP as mentioned by @Pics999. Also he describes it is NOT the one bigger red wrapped around a blue. That leaves three more. This switched red is ever so slightly a more fuschia red and if you look at the other two you will see what I mean. It even looks a little more pinkish in his pic. I never tried that one as I was only trying the typical bright red. Like I said it is only different if you have them all together. Also helped to remove a bit of the electrical tape with an exacto.

All works and we are radared up. Thanks.
View attachment 772128

I can confirm that blendmount for Porsche Panamera works well. Also, I can confirm that one of the red wires (not the one that twisted along with a blue one) in the passenger footwell (in the bundle that makes a LOOP) is a switchable 12v. If you are using a multimeter, please make sure somebody is helping you by sitting in the driver’s seat. It will only switch if somebody is in the seat and requires to press a brake pedal. Basically it turns on when you ready to drive and press a brake pedal and turns off when you get out of your drivers seat.

Used the same method and tapped into the red wire. It was intimidating at first trying to find the right bundle but once I located it (it was easy to find the correct red wire). Also found an easy ground spot by the self driving computer (very close to 12V location). The radar is measuring close to 14.9V from this location (probably due to the 15.5V lithium ion battery used in newer model Ys)

Thanks so much for this. I was able to hardwire my radar detector because of your instructions.

Thanks for sharing success stories! Getting ready to tackle this project next week.

Can any of you share what wires you used to tap into the red wire in the passenger footwell? I have experience tapping into a fuse box and using mirror taps in previous vehicles. From one of the photos above, looks like I might need to buy some wire taps like this: https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Terminals-Self-stripping-Insulated-Disconnects/dp/B07CP987BN and a radar detector wire kit? If you have specific links handy, would appreciate it!

Also, debating whether to go with the Blendmount (Panamera version?) or windshield mount which I've mainly used in previous cars (but not sure if feasible if windshield is tinted...)

Reactions: Mandingo
Thanks for sharing success stories! Getting ready to tackle this project next week.

Can any of you share what wires you used to tap into the red wire in the passenger footwell? I have experience tapping into a fuse box and using mirror taps in previous vehicles. From one of the photos above, looks like I might need to buy some wire taps like this: https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Terminals-Self-stripping-Insulated-Disconnects/dp/B07CP987BN and a radar detector wire kit? If you have specific links handy, would appreciate it!

Also, debating whether to go with the Blendmount (Panamera version?) or windshield mount which I've mainly used in previous cars (but not sure if feasible if windshield is tinted...)
I purchased a hardwire kit from blendmount but it essentially uses the same wire tap as what you linked. Note that the blendmount kit is specific to your radar detector.

I purchased a hardwire kit from blendmount but it essentially uses the same wire tap as what you linked. Note that the blendmount kit is specific to your radar detector.

This should be the only thing you need. You can get a voltage meter to help identify the correct wire.

Happy to report that I was able to get radar detector hooked up during quick lunch break to the switched red/pink wire in the passenger footwell. In my car, the other two red wires are intertwined with a blue and brown wire respectively and the switched wire was by itself.

Thanks again to all who shared their successes and photos to make this a quick project!

Reactions: Anish3232
Happy to report that I was able to get radar detector hooked up during quick lunch break to the switched red/pink wire in the passenger footwell. In my car, the other two red wires are intertwined with a blue and brown wire respectively and the switched wire was by itself.

Thanks again to all who shared their successes and photos to make this a quick project!
Yes forgot to mention that too… the other two red wires were looped with other wires. The red one that was needed was by itself.

I’m thinking of adding ambient lighting to the same wire tap. I know it will be on during the day but at least it will turn off itself without using up the 12V in the armrest. Don’t think anyone has tapped into this wire for that purpose but I assume since they are led this won’t be an issue.

Hey folks just wanted to say this thread has been extremely helpful... thanks! I just finished wiring a V1 Gen1 using the "fuschia" wire in the passenger foot well. That wire is a bit too small for the t tap that came with the blendmount kit, but a 22-18 tap like this is perfect https://www.amazon.com/3M-3MT-R-100-22-18-Gauge-T-Tap/dp/B00152RH4O

What happens when they use laser speed device? Also if your device detects radar signals, they already got your speed. Also I cops tend to not like seeing them after polling people over. I was a passenger in someone else's car once an they got pulled over for speeding and as soon as the cop saw the radar detector the cop went off on a rant about the radar detector and stormed back to his car to write a ticket.

What happens when they use laser speed device? Also if your device detects radar signals, they already got your speed. Also I cops tend to not like seeing them after polling people over. I was a passenger in someone else's car once an they got pulled over for speeding and as soon as the cop saw the radar detector the cop went off on a rant about the radar detector and stormed back to his car to write a ticket.
Cops have been using laser guns for decades. I have a 20-year-old V1 and it detects laser. The trick is don't be the leading car in a pack. If there are no cars in front of you on highway, you stay within speed limit and on the look out for cops.

Radar detectors can detect radar signals very far away. When cops turn on their radar gun to aim at cars in front of you that are maybe a mile or more away, your radar detector will detect that and you then have plenty of time to slow down.

Radar detectors are legal in all states except Virginia and Washington D.C.. Even if the cop pulls you over and sees that you have a radar detector and rant about it, so what? He is going to write you a ticket anyway.

Reactions: vin999