Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v switched power for Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BE98B67F-CCCC-40DA-9660-4E003AFB907F.jpeg

Not sure what I’m doing wrong. I plugged in the harness, then tested the red wire but there’s no power. I used the door jam as the negative. I tested the cigarette lighter and there’s power there. Do I need to do anything to enable power to the trailer plug?

Not sure what I’m doing wrong. I plugged in the harness, then tested the red wire but there’s no power. I used the door jam as the negative. I tested the cigarette lighter and there’s power there. Do I need to do anything to enable power to the trailer plug?

Try testing red for positive and black for negative. As long as a door is open, or your butt is in the seat, you should have +12v.

Just tried that w door open and in my seat, even put the car in gear. No power. Mine is a 2022 and I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Maybe they have to activate it?

That's odd. It's probably worth sending a message to Service via the app. I know they temporarily left stuff out of the 2022's , like the USB ports, due to shortages. Maybe something related to the trailer brake system is in the same boat.
Good luck!

That's odd. It's probably worth sending a message to Service via the app. I know they temporarily left stuff out of the 2022's , like the USB ports, due to shortages. Maybe something related to the trailer brake system is in the same boat.
Good luck!
I was looking to get a harness myself for my 2022 Model Y but it seems you need the software now to make the plug come alive according the my to Tesla app anyways, might be out of luck, damn!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-04 at 10.31.59 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2021-12-04 at 10.31.59 PM.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 623
I was looking to get a harness myself for my 2022 Model Y but it seems you need the software now to make the plug come alive according the my to Tesla app anyways, might be out of luck, damn!
I'm curious to see how things work out for folks who install an aftermarket tow package for the new 2022 Model Y. Looks like I'm going back to the center console cigarette power source.

I don't think that's the case. While I have the factory tow package, I have power to the pigtail whenever I open a door or sit in the seat.
Tow mode is off by default at all times.
This is good news for me… as I also have the factory tow package… and pigtail waiting to be installed once I get my butt in gear to install and rework the wiring for my WASP 🐝 (pedestrian custom sounds).

I can confirm that on the passenger side footwell of my model Y the red wire pictured below( I put green tape around it) is 12v switched source it only becomes live after the brake is engaged. There are 3 red wires in the that bundle one is wrapped with a blue(not that one) one of the other 2 will be it, its the bundles of wires that kind of comes down in a loop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 3.07.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 3.07.58 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 592