Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14 Months of leasing a Tesla, now time to move on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with pretty much all your points except the ICE bit.
Unless they’re a high-mileage driver I cannot fathom why anyone would want to cling to a technology that performs worse, is more expensive to operate and maintain, is noisier and literally stinks. I cannot see myself ever owning an ICE again but once my M3 dies (hopefully in 10 years or more!) I doubt I’ll be buying another Tesla unless something fundamentally changes in their philosophy.
Don’t turn back to ICE! I have had similar thoughts but all EV owners are early adopters and I think we just have to take the good with the not so good. But more demand for EV can only help improve the technology. Same thing happened with ICE vehicles, my 62 Ford Falcon was not match for my 2015 BMW X5

Don’t turn back to ICE! I have had similar thoughts but all EV owners are early adopters and I think we just have to take the good with the not so good. But more demand for EV can only help improve the technology. Same thing happened with ICE vehicles, my 62 Ford Falcon was not match for my 2015 BMW X5
Why would I keep something I don’t personally get on with? That’s a bit monk horsehair shirtish to me. The tech, the plastic seats, awful windscreen wipers aren’t going to change and the cruise is only going to get more overbearing in the push to automate everything🤷🏼‍♂️
I don’t use the acceleration enough to warrant putting up with everything else personally.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Me too! I've often wondered about how I would test if it worked (i.e. whether it would prevent the impact). The thinking part of that is still a work in progress!
I have had the AEB come on when I went around a bend (in Cologne iirc). It saw a pedestrian on the pavement and came on (no one was in danger). Thought the car had broken for a second before I realised what was happening. That was on a previous car when AEB was fairly new though, hence my reluctance to take the guinea pig approach previously suggested by someone else.

Me too! I've often wondered about how I would test if it worked (i.e. whether it would prevent the impact). The thinking part of that is still a work in progress!
A few years ago I had a series of ‘ghost’ AEB braking episodes in the Tesla. None since but all happened in the space of a few weeks. I can only think it was a software glitch of some sort.

Anyhow you’ll know. It is unexpected and quite violent in intensity - especially as you’re unprepared the car will react in this way if you as the driver know there isn’t the danger the car thinks there is. Good way to know you’re brakes are going to pass MOT 🤣

A few years ago I had a series of ‘ghost’ AEB braking episodes in the Tesla. None since but all happened in the space of a few weeks. I can only think it was a software glitch of some sort.

Was that the 2021.4.15.x rollercoaster updates? A new update every other day it seemed! 5 updates in 20 days, including it finally settling on 2021.4.18

Thankfully they only went out to a few but the general consensus was that they were fine tuning AEB and possibly other vision bits. Certainly AEB behaved differently every release, initially starting off as far too sensitive (including being spooked by things in the foliage to the side of the car - it use to highlight the 'aggressor' so you knew what triggered it), until finally settling on 2021.4.18 that went GA.

But if you wanted to know how AEB behaved, 2021.4.15.x was the branch to be on.

Reactions: Sean.

Anyhow you’ll know. It is unexpected and quite violent in intensity - especially as you’re unprepared the car will react in this way if you as the driver know there isn’t the danger the car thinks there is. Good way to know you’re brakes are going to pass MOT 🤣

Are you sure that they were AEB braking events. Or could they maybe have been the generic phantom braking that is common to Tesla (and other vehicles) especially when driving down divided roads and often when nearing a bridge?

Those aren't AEB.

Are you sure that they were AEB braking events. Or could they maybe have been the generic phantom braking that is common to Tesla (and other vehicles) especially when driving down divided roads and often when nearing a bridge?

Those aren't AEB.
I’ve unfortunately had both phantom braking (numerous times) with EAP/FSD engaged and premature AEB.

These particular episodes were AEB definitely as there was no EAP/FSD active. I was travelling along a typical 20 mph inner London street at the time before it whammed me, after (1) a cyclist that I had made eye contact with approaching at 90 degrees to my path of travel but stopped very close and (2) a pedestrian that had stepped out. Both times AEB sprang into action, but there was no danger of collision even though the car thought better. As said isolated and haven’t had it since.

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR
Why would I keep something I don’t personally get on with? That’s a bit monk horsehair shirtish to me. The tech, the plastic seats, awful windscreen wipers aren’t going to change and the cruise is only going to get more overbearing in the push to automate everything🤷🏼‍♂️
I don’t use the acceleration enough to warrant putting up with everything else personally.
Okay, ICE it is…..enjoy.

Reactions: Xdama
Well took a bit of a detour after test driving all the cars I mentioned.
XC60 - gearbox like waking grandad up after a couple of whisky, when wanting to accelerate. Wife didn’t like the narrow footwells caused by massive centre console either.
F-Pace - gearbox a bit quicker but still slow to kickdown. Also surprised as all reviews reckoned it was a really good handling suv ….. felt barge like to me🤷🏼‍♂️.
Q5 - gearbox nice, quick shifting, decent drive but hard plastic trim on doorcaps and dashboard…seriously come on Audi. Wife also said seats were hard as hell.
X3 - gearbox good (but knew that anyway) like the drive, decent amount of room.

Then I had a I’ll miss the acceleration in the M3 moment, ended up buying a BMW335D GT. Maybe not quite M3 acceleration but 5secs isn’t far off and having had a 630D GT previously I know I can get around 50MPG on a motorway run plus 600miles out of a tank.

Good luck to all of you, wish you all many happy miles with your Tesla’s. Just not for me but I will be back in another EV at some point when I’m either retired or not doing the job I do.

Well took a bit of a detour after test driving all the cars I mentioned.
XC60 - gearbox like waking grandad up after a couple of whisky, when wanting to accelerate. Wife didn’t like the narrow footwells caused by massive centre console either.
F-Pace - gearbox a bit quicker but still slow to kickdown. Also surprised as all reviews reckoned it was a really good handling suv ….. felt barge like to me🤷🏼‍♂️.
Q5 - gearbox nice, quick shifting, decent drive but hard plastic trim on doorcaps and dashboard…seriously come on Audi. Wife also said seats were hard as hell.
X3 - gearbox good (but knew that anyway) like the drive, decent amount of room.

Then I had a I’ll miss the acceleration in the M3 moment, ended up buying a BMW335D GT. Maybe not quite M3 acceleration but 5secs isn’t far off and having had a 630D GT previously I know I can get around 50MPG on a motorway run plus 600miles out of a tank.

Good luck to all of you, wish you all many happy miles with your Tesla’s. Just not for me but I will be back in another EV at some point when I’m either retired or not doing the job I do.
Enjoy the beemer. Remember the indicators are on the left stalk. 😎👍

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
Enjoy the bimmer. (Gents, Beemers or Beamers are for the bikes exclusively, come on!)

Also, enjoy putting the active rear spoiler up and down like it's DRS. I definitely never, ever used to do this all the time. Nope. Am adult.

The 3 and 6 series GT's are very slept on I think (Engines, handling, interior space with the huge hatch and i-Drive all brilliant) all because their look is a bit 'marmite'.