Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$14K Tesla Charger Install

Am I taking crazy pills?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Find two regular plugs on separate breakers and merge them...
This reminds me. When I moved into a new house, we noticed the back patio fan had two speed from the switch. Slow and Fast. Fast was super fast with burn your retina light bulb brightness.

Turns out they had wired a 3-way such that it was delivering either 120 or 240. The two boxes were on different breakers. Nice!

50A service is insanely low. That’s only 40A at 80% which is how it should be designed. My townhome was 125A and that’s not much at all, I thought. Unless you’re in 600 sq ft and have mostly gas appliances (furnace, dryer, water, oven) not sure how you function. I’m skeptical this is accurate.

I would get an electrician that will hang clamps on your service lines while you go around the house and turn on everything you can to see what your worst case load would be (and see if you trip any breakers.)

Assuming you have an open double sized slot in your panel for 240 (if you don’t, that’s another problem) then you can install a low Amp (NEMA 6-20) and buy the adapter from Tesla for your UMC and you can make sure you charge only at night when other usage would be very low.

Assuming you have an open double sized slot in your panel for 240 (if you don’t, that’s another problem) then you can install a low Amp (NEMA 6-20) and buy the adapter from Tesla for your UMC and you can make sure you charge only at night when other usage would be very low.

Technically, NEMA 6-15 is the lowest 240v option. It may be worth considering if meter capacity is very limited, and/or if it's 14 AWG going to the outlet already (you need 12 AWG for 20 amp).

Reactions: eprosenx