Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1500 discount because if tires but hw2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, my first post. I was supposed to have my model 3 long range fwd 18" wheels + FSD delivered next Tuesday. But realized they upgraded me with the 19" wheels for the same price. Sounds sweet, but i saw many videos explaining 19" are noisier, wear faster and less comfortable. Tesla first told me we'r could exchange the wheels in a few weeks but called me back explaining it won't be possible. However they have an inventory car which matches my order exactly, and they make me a $1500 discount. Super exciting ! But it was build in March 2019, so has HW2.5.
1- can we rely on the promise from Elon that all FSD customers will get upgraded to HW3 for free ? Or even if it's true, how long will this take to get the upgrade ? Isn't it better to have HW3 at first place ? Would you take the $1500 discount (i checked the car is perfect)
2- it's an inventory car, 750 miles. Will the IRS consider it new to get the tax credit ?
Thanks !

Hi all, my first post. I was supposed to have my model 3 long range fwd 18" wheels + FSD delivered next Tuesday. But realized they upgraded me with the 19" wheels for the same price. Sounds sweet, but i saw many videos explaining 19" are noisier, wear faster and less comfortable. Tesla first told me we'r could exchange the wheels in a few weeks but called me back explaining it won't be possible. However they have an inventory car which matches my order exactly, and they make me a $1500 discount. Super exciting ! But it was build in March 2019, so has HW2.5.
1- can we rely on the promise from Elon that all FSD customers will get upgraded to HW3 for free ? Or even if it's true, how long will this take to get the upgrade ? Isn't it better to have HW3 at first place ? Would you take the $1500 discount (i checked the car is perfect)
2- it's an inventory car, 750 miles. Will the IRS consider it new to get the tax credit ?
Thanks !

Unless car was titled, it’s new for IRS standards.

Elon better upgrade hw 2.5 cars to 3 for FSD purchases. We will blockade his home with 24/7 vigils if he doesn’t l.

Lastly, you are spending a lot already with full boat. $1500 not enough IMO for a beat up car people have been in and out. $3,000 I would take.

Welcome to forum and you have your answers. :)

Thanks MXWing, that's what I was starting to tell myself: I'm offering myself a huge toy already, what are $1500 compared to $55100 ? The car with 19" is surely less noisy than a regular gas car anyway. And i guess I can afford to pay a bit more or more often for the tires. Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: MXWing
I agree that I would pass on the older model with 750 miles on it. That’s not enough discount to justify it. But if you don’t want the 19” wheels keep asking them to look for another model that has the 18” wheels. The 19’s look nicer but you give up range and comfort so unless the looks are important to you I think you are better off going with the 18’s.

If you do have to take the 19’s you can always look to swap them. Most people looking to do a swap want to go from 18’s to 19’s so you shouldn’t have much trouble arranging a trade.

19’s look a hell of a lot better then the poverty 18’s

I don’t think $56,000 qualifies as a “poverty” car.

I’m rocking the 18s and happy about it. Better range, better ride. When I sit inside the car, I don’t see the wheels, but my butt sure notices the ride quality.

Thanks !
I was matched with a Demo car with 400 miles on it and they gave me $1000 off so 750 miles should be 2k off in my book.

I would keep the no charge 19s over HW3. The 19's fill out the wheel well better and I believe they come with a better quality tire. You will not be able to notice much difference between them and the 18s from a comfort perspective. If you buy FSD then you will get the hardware. Based on my experience FSD is going to take a while and we may see a HW 4.0, 5.0, etc. before it is a reality.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I was offered a free upgrade to 19” wheels on my LR RWD Model 3 in March as an end of quarter incentive. When I went to pick up my car they forgot to swap the wheels out so I took delivery with the 18’s and they promised to order the 19’s for me and swap them out later. After driving around the 18’s for a month I decided I liked them and didn’t want to give up the added range and comfort so I ended up picking up the set of 19’s and selling them. I don’t regret my decision. But there is no right or wrong answer as to which set is better. It’s just personal preference.

Reactions: alloverx
I said the wheels were poverty

Poverty != practical.

I went with the 18s for practicality reasons, not a cost saving measure. The 19s, I can see as a good compromise.

But I think we can all agree, the 20s are a PITA, especially here on the east coast. Useless between October-April, and likely to crack driving over the pothole forests from April-July, when the DOT budgets open again for repairs. So really only usable in July, August and September. :)

Reactions: Nvbob
I would keep the no charge 19s over HW3. The 19's fill out the wheel well better and I believe they come with a better quality tire. You will not be able to notice much difference between them and the 18s from a comfort perspective. If you buy FSD then you will get the hardware. Based on my experience FSD is going to take a while and we may see a HW 4.0, 5.0, etc. before it is a reality.
Thanks raptor. In my case the 19" come with the hw3, and the 18" come with HW2(.5) and a $1500 discount. But i get your point. Thanks