Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Original M3LR wheels on MYLR w/ 245/60-18 winter tires. That you @Zoomit for your original post. Made me comfortable doing this and understanding what my limitations will be. I've also installed the lift kit and adjustable rear camber arms from @MountainPass Performance.
View attachment 742029
love the setup.. got any wh/mi ? if the 245's are not too big of a hit vs. the 235's I will seriously consider

I installed the setup on Dec 7th. Since then, my average Wh/Mile is 303 Wh. The average temp has been 39° and I don’t drive over 70 MPH one the highway. (I set autopilot to 68 which is about 70 actual.) I’ve had my MTB on the back only about 10% of that time so it shouldn’t be a huge factor.

Reactions: gt2690b
^^ that's what i did to lose the extra weight and to add some more rubber for comfort driving the pothole ridden streets of SF.

These are aftermarket Enkei 18's with 245/50R-18 BRIDGESTONE TURANZA's. I confirmed the load rating and as long as i'm not carrying over 800 pounds on the rear i'm good :)

View attachment 583151
What was the load rating on the wheels? I’m looking at doing the same, but load rating on the wheels I want is only 1400 per wheel

There have been a number of people (thread, thread) wondering about fitting the 18" Aero wheels from Model 3 on Model Y. The motivation for me is installing winter tires on a more efficient wheel that allows a taller sidewall. There are a couple things to consider:

Brake caliper clearance
I expect the regular Model Y brakes will fit within the barrel section of the Aero wheels but I haven't seen this demonstrated. The question is whether the regular rear calipers are different between the 3 and Y. If they're the same, the 18" Aeros should fit. It looks like the Aero's will NOT fit the Model Y Performance Upgrade brakes per this post (H/T @RoBoRaT).

Wheel size
The 18" Aeros are 18x8.5 ET40, narrower than the 9.5" wide and ET45 19" and 20" wheels on Model Y. Using something like a 245/50R18 or 245/55R18 tire results in a similar outside tire fit as the regular Model Y. The inside of the tires would have about 10mm more clearance to the suspension. This is all good, especially for winter tires that can benefit from the slightly narrower tread.

Wheel load rating
The 18" Aero's are marked with a 700 kb (1543 lb) rating (picture, H/T @RoBoRaT). This is where the challenge lies and what led me down the rabbit hole looking at Model Y Load limits.

I plotted the Gross Axle Weight Ratings from pg 189 of the Model Y Owners Manual and added an equivalent line for 18" Aero wheels based on the 1543 lb individual wheel limit. I also plotted the 5302 lb Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for Model Y Long Range. As would be expected, the OE 19"-21" wheels allow the full range of possible axle weights given the GVWR limit. That is, the dashed gray, orange and blue lines are outside the brown diagonal GVWR line. The 18" Aero wheel, assuming a 3046 lb GAWR, would not allow very heavy, rear loading of Model Y without overloading the rear wheels.

View attachment 527290

Let's zoom in and look at these different load configurations to see how big of an issue this could be.

View attachment 527291
Config A: Curb weight, no payload
Config B: Driver only
Config C: Two front passengers
Config D: Driver, two kids in back, and some stuff in the frunk and trunk
Config E: Two big guys in front and a full frunk
Config F: Four adult passengers
Config G: Fully laden with four adult passengers and 205 lb cargo
Config H: Fully laden with two adult and two smaller passengers and 295 lb cargo
Config I: Fully laden with driver and 715 lb cargo
Config J: Same as I but with cargo moved forward to stay ahead of 18" Aero rear axle limit
Config K: Fully laden with speculated 320 lb tongue weight trailer
Config L: Same as K but with only 265 lb tongue weight to stay ahead of 18" Aero rear axle limit
Config M: Driver and minor cargo with 320 lb tongue weight trailer

Caveats:
- The axle loading calculations assumed approximate locations for the respective weights in the table, but they're pretty close.
- Nothing has been officially published yet on Model Y tow rating.
- This only applied to Model Y LR AWD. The RWD and/or Standard Range cars will have different results.

From this, I conclude the 18" Aero can be used on Model Y LR AWD as long as special consideration is paid to keeping the payload forward when close to the GVWR. YMMV and all that.
This is amazing, so I’m looking at some American Racing 20’s x 9, will put 255/40’s on the load rating per wheel
Is only 1400, we will not tow and at max have a couple kids in the back seat. Per my calculations they will work, what do you think?

I installed the setup on Dec 7th. Since then, my average Wh/Mile is 303 Wh. The average temp has been 39° and I don’t drive over 70 MPH one the highway. (I set autopilot to 68 which is about 70 actual.) I’ve had my MTB on the back only about 10% of that time so it shouldn’t be a huge factor.
I forgot to account for the oversized tires. The odometer and speedometer are now incorrect so this would also make the on board Wh/Mile calculations incorrect. It’s only off by a little, but the actual is better than the reported.

Very interesting thread, and special thanks for the chart on the load capabilities for each alloy.

It did make me think also about the load ratings for tyres - having found the following chart, does that mean a index of 98 and higher to match the 750kg recommendation for the alloy load?

1642890678829.png

There have been a number of people (thread, thread) wondering about fitting the 18" Aero wheels from Model 3 on Model Y. The motivation for me is installing winter tires on a more efficient wheel that allows a taller sidewall. There are a couple things to consider:

Brake caliper clearance
I expect the regular Model Y brakes will fit within the barrel section of the Aero wheels but I haven't seen this demonstrated. The question is whether the regular rear calipers are different between the 3 and Y. If they're the same, the 18" Aeros should fit. It looks like the Aero's will NOT fit the Model Y Performance Upgrade brakes per this post (H/T @RoBoRaT).

Wheel size
The 18" Aeros are 18x8.5 ET40, narrower than the 9.5" wide and ET45 19" and 20" wheels on Model Y. Using something like a 245/50R18 or 245/55R18 tire results in a similar outside tire fit as the regular Model Y. The inside of the tires would have about 10mm more clearance to the suspension. This is all good, especially for winter tires that can benefit from the slightly narrower tread.

Wheel load rating
The 18" Aero's are marked with a 700 kb (1543 lb) rating (picture, H/T @RoBoRaT). This is where the challenge lies and what led me down the rabbit hole looking at Model Y Load limits.

I plotted the Gross Axle Weight Ratings from pg 189 of the Model Y Owners Manual and added an equivalent line for 18" Aero wheels based on the 1543 lb individual wheel limit. I also plotted the 5302 lb Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for Model Y Long Range. As would be expected, the OE 19"-21" wheels allow the full range of possible axle weights given the GVWR limit. That is, the dashed gray, orange and blue lines are outside the brown diagonal GVWR line. The 18" Aero wheel, assuming a 3046 lb GAWR, would not allow very heavy, rear loading of Model Y without overloading the rear wheels.

View attachment 527290

Let's zoom in and look at these different load configurations to see how big of an issue this could be.

View attachment 527291
Config A: Curb weight, no payload
Config B: Driver only
Config C: Two front passengers
Config D: Driver, two kids in back, and some stuff in the frunk and trunk
Config E: Two big guys in front and a full frunk
Config F: Four adult passengers
Config G: Fully laden with four adult passengers and 205 lb cargo
Config H: Fully laden with two adult and two smaller passengers and 295 lb cargo
Config I: Fully laden with driver and 715 lb cargo
Config J: Same as I but with cargo moved forward to stay ahead of 18" Aero rear axle limit
Config K: Fully laden with speculated 320 lb tongue weight trailer
Config L: Same as K but with only 265 lb tongue weight to stay ahead of 18" Aero rear axle limit
Config M: Driver and minor cargo with 320 lb tongue weight trailer

Caveats:
- The axle loading calculations assumed approximate locations for the respective weights in the table, but they're pretty close.
- Nothing has been officially published yet on Model Y tow rating.
- This only applied to Model Y LR AWD. The RWD and/or Standard Range cars will have different results.

From this, I conclude the 18" Aero can be used on Model Y LR AWD as long as special consideration is paid to keeping the payload forward when close to the GVWR. YMMV and all that.
Could someone help me understand the math? On the Tesla owner's manual, it states, that the tow hitch can handle 3,500 lb, but limits tongue weight to 10%, making it 350 at hitch. Also says that the max tow can handle 4-5 passenger on the 19 and 21 wheels (manual assumes 150lb per passenger). 5x150 =750 +350 =1000. +4416 base wt =5416lb, which exceeds the 5205 rating. Where am I off?

"Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

If any of my fellow efficiency/comfort champs on this thread are looking for a set of 750kg rated 18” Aero wheels for your Model Y, I’ve got a set. Brand new take-offs from a 2021 Model 3, complete with TPMS.

I bought them with plans to use on a Y that I was hoping to buy this spring. Now that delivery is pushed to December, I’m giving up.

When I get a chance I’ll take photos and post to the For Sale board, but wanted to drop a note here first. Price will be $999 (half the new price) with pickup mid-Hudson Valley, NY. (Can meet at any of the Superchargers in the area: Hudson, Kingston, Red Hook, Poughkeepsie.)

• Helpful
Reactions: pdx_m3s and Zoomit
If any of my fellow efficiency/comfort champs on this thread are looking for a set of 750kg rated 18” Aero wheels for your Model Y, I’ve got a set. Brand new take-offs from a 2021 Model 3, complete with TPMS.

I bought them with plans to use on a Y that I was hoping to buy this spring. Now that delivery is pushed to December, I’m giving up.

When I get a chance I’ll take photos and post to the For Sale board, but wanted to drop a note here first. Price will be $999 (half the new price) with pickup mid-Hudson Valley, NY. (Can meet at any of the Superchargers in the area: Hudson, Kingston, Red Hook, Poughkeepsie.)
Did you sell them? I am looking, but in Washington state.

MYLR coming in May, no rush but I am looking for a set of 2021+ 18" M3 Aero wheels. Suggestions on where to look, besides craigslist and here?
I also have a question: do I need the TPMS sensors? I'm old school, check my tires regularly myself. Will the Tesla software throw a fit if I don't have sensors connected?

MYLR coming in May, no rush but I am looking for a set of 2021+ 18" M3 Aero wheels. Suggestions on where to look, besides craigslist and here?
I also have a question: do I need the TPMS sensors? I'm old school, check my tires regularly myself. Will the Tesla software throw a fit if I don't have sensors connected?
I looked for a long time. They were very few and far between, and always had tires mounted that I didn't want to pay for. It was cheaper to just get R241 wheels.

Sorry for the slow reply; I hadn’t had time to post them yet, but just took photos today. I’ll shoot you a PM.

A 235/55/18 will in fact be a larger diameter than the 255/45/19 on the Geminis. Not by much, but some.
So with the new wheels/tires, what your car thinks is a "mile" is actually a bit more than a mile in actual road distance traveled. (Or at the very least, more than what it previously thought was a mile.) And that of course will take more energy.

So it's plausible that some of the "efficiency drop" could just be the measurement error.
28.035 “ diameter for the 18” wheels vs 28.035” diameter for the 19” wheels.same.