Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19” Gemini’s Crackling Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've turned off the AC, rolled down the window, leaned my head out to listen... my covers don't creak.

I just checked under my covers, and I do have scars on the rims from them though. :(
20200807_182132.jpg

They contacted me after the video I sent in and said that they “are aware of the issue” and have ordered new hub caps. They are now coming to me on Monday to install them. I’ll know right away if it fixes it and will let you know.
They came today with new hub caps and they had the same problem. There doesn’t seem to be a known fix at this time.

I’ve now given it 2000 miles and it hasn’t improved so I put in for a service appointment later this month. Not acceptable in a $70k car, heck any new car really. Link below is to the video I sent the Tesla service team. I assume this is the same as others are experiencing. Let me know if the video doesn’t work.

20200801_224716000_iOS.MOV
Yikes that’s unacceptable. They need to fix that mess

Reactions: NoICEallElec
I’ve now given it 2000 miles and it hasn’t improved so I put in for a service appointment later this month. Not acceptable in a $70k car, heck any new car really. Link below is to the video I sent the Tesla service team. I assume this is the same as others are experiencing. Let me know if the video doesn’t work.

20200801_224716000_iOS.MOV

Yikes, that sounds wayyy worse than mine. I suppose I should be thankful. Really hope a cover swap fixes it for you.

z4EooD7.jpg

So my Y has the trifecta, they make noise, they nicked the otter edge of each wheel and all four of my wheels have scars where the caps clip onto the spokes. Yipee

So I'm not even going to use them on long road trips unless I hear that Tesla has redesigned and replacing them.

So I'm running the Gemini's naked and bought a cap kit to dress them up. Plus I was surprised how much brake dust had accumulated on my wheels in 500 miles. I'd hate to see what the wheels would have looked like after a year or more without removing them to clean the wheels. Brake dust can be caustic to painted wheels if left for months on end.

I just got mine back from the SC. Although there were a few delivery issues, a cracking Gemini cover was one of them. The interesting part is, they replaced both the cap and the tire itself. I confined the noise went away but makes me wonder if it wasn’t just the cap contributing to the noise. I should have asked the SC but it was pouring and I wanted to get out of there.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Finally after nearly 5K miles I have an answer and a fix from the SC (note that the delay was really my fault, not Tesla’s as I haven’t been able to leave my car with them for multiple days until now)!

From the inspection report: During inspection for noise found right front brake shield missing hardware. Shield was making light contact with rotor. Replaced hardware and insulated all four wheel caps.

This immediately took care of the noise I was hearing. Very thankful for that.

On a side note, I was having my windshield replaced locally (thanks to the rock chip and crack I received within 8 miles of driving off the lot upon pickup) through a business that deals with a large chunk of Tesla’s in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area (Blue Chip), and they mentioned that nearly every Model Y they have had come through to this point has been missing some sort of hardware in the areas they are inspecting. For some it is something minor that you’d never notice, for another it was missing all of the screws on the dust cover for the windshield cameras. One solid bump and that was coming down!

While I am not nearly smart enough to know to look for these things it is nice to know and pass along in case someone else is and can prevent any issues moving forward.

Wow. I've been experiencing this same issue and thought it was something wrong with my particular MY. I thought maybe it was just the sound of foam in the tires, but I never experienced this with my M3 with Sport wheels. I took delivery of my MY in May 2022, so all this time still no fix when manufactured. C'mon Tesla!