Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19'' Continental ProContact RX vs Michelin Pilot Sport 4s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, the original 19" Continental ProContact RX tires in my Tesla Model 3 LR RW have more than 34k miles and the thread is about 3.5 mm on the back. I think I need to replace the tires in about half year. Currently I also have 19" Winter Tire and Wheel set from Tesla. So I'm considering the Micheline PS4S summer tires as replacement for the Continental OEM tires. Does anyone have experience on both tires. Are Micheline PS4S tires more noisy because it's summer tires? Also, does PS4S tires handle well in wet condition as compared to the Continental RX tires? I heard that summer tires don't handle wet condition well in general. Thanks for advance.

you can check tire places and online blogs, but what I've researched is that summer tires work better than all-season tires in all but cold weather. And that includes wet.

Summers are stickier, so you'll get better handling than OEM, but less mileage. The Contis have foam in them which supposedly makes them quieter, but testing appears to show that they are no quieter than non-foam tires.

btw: search TMC since there are plenty of posts on the Michelin's. When my Conti's need to be replaced, I'm going with the Michelin tires, no question.

you can check tire places and online blogs, but what I've researched is that summer tires work better than all-season tires in all but cold weather. And that includes wet.

Summers are stickier, so you'll get better handling than OEM, but less mileage. The Contis have foam in them which supposedly makes them quieter, but testing appears to show that they are no quieter than non-foam tires.

btw: search TMC since there are plenty of posts on the Michelin's. When my Conti's need to be replaced, I'm going with the Michelin tires, no question.
Thanks lot. Do you know how much mileage will be affected. Micheline PS4S is the OEM tire for Model 3 Performance. The mileage still have 299 miles.

I have the PS4S on 19s as my summer set up and love them. Sticky, quiet, efficient. Currently running X-Ice XI3s on 18s as my winter setup — decent tires but are no match for the power of the Stealth. Very much looking forward to having the PS4S back on come Spring. Absolutely no concerns with noise or wet grip.

I have the PS4S on 19s as my summer set up and love them. Sticky, quiet, efficient. Currently running X-Ice XI3s on 18s as my winter setup — decent tires but are no match for the power of the Stealth. Very much looking forward to having the PS4S back on come Spring. Absolutely no concerns with noise or wet grip.
Thanks lot.Do you see any difference on mileage?

Today I went to Tesla Service Center in Dedham and asked for PS4S. They told me that if I switch to non-testa certified tires such as 19'' PS4S, I may have to sign some sort of disqualification document. Tesla service may refuse to fix some issues such as vehicle vibration, etc. It's strange that PS4S 18'' and 20'' are TO, but 19'' is not for Tesla Model 3. Has anyone put 19'' PS4S on Tesla Model 3 (Non Performance version)? Do you have any issues such as vibration? I really like to switch to PS4S but don't want to lose warranty.

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
I have 19s on my 3 and installed 20s on my prior S (both PS4S and both technically non-Tesla certified if there is such a thing). Tesla worked on my prior S numerous times without issue. I actually inadvertently traded in the S with the 20s installed (on Model X standard Slipstreams) when purchasing the 3 with no issue. The first change I made to the 3 was to install 19” PS4S given the superb experience I had with them on the S. FWIW, I have also already swapped out the rubber on the 18s that came on the car from all seasons to winter specific. In neither case will this affect the warranty. Good luck.

I have 19s on my 3 and installed 20s on my prior S (both PS4S and both technically non-Tesla certified if there is such a thing). Tesla worked on my prior S numerous times without issue. I actually inadvertently traded in the S with the 20s installed (on Model X standard Slipstreams) when purchasing the 3 with no issue. The first change I made to the 3 was to install 19” PS4S given the superb experience I had with them on the S. FWIW, I have also already swapped out the rubber on the 18s that came on the car from all seasons to winter specific. In neither case will this affect the warranty. Good luck.
Great, Thanks lot. You M3 is Performance, right? The chassis may be firmer and stronger than mine. Do anyone install 19'' PS4S on non performance M3?

Today I went to Tesla Service Center in Dedham and asked for PS4S. They told me that if I switch to non-testa certified tires such as 19'' PS4S, I may have to sign some sort of disqualification document. Tesla service may refuse to fix some issues such as vehicle vibration, etc. It's strange that PS4S 18'' and 20'' are TO, but 19'' is not for Tesla Model 3. Has anyone put 19'' PS4S on Tesla Model 3 (Non Performance version)? Do you have any issues such as vibration? I really like to switch to PS4S but don't want to lose warranty.

That's the biggest crock of **** i've ever read on TMC. Not you, mk6, but the rep at the SC. The foam in the OEM is for noise reduction, but if you search the 'net you'll find that foam adds little, if any, noise reduction.

btw: there is a post on reddit where the foam in a OEM came loose and that tire vibrated!

Reactions: Matsayz
OK, I'll pull the trigger when summer comes. From what I checked on the spec on Tire Rack, all TO tires have form and weight 1 lb more that than respective none-TO tire. Just to be sure, your 19'' are 235/40ZR19 PS4S, right?

That's the biggest crock of **** i've ever read on TMC. Not you, mk6, but the rep at the SC. The foam in the OEM is for noise reduction, but if you search the 'net you'll find that foam adds little, if any, noise reduction.

btw: there is a post on reddit where the foam in a OEM came loose and that tire vibrated!
I know, I was in shock when I heard it from the guy in service center.

I’d never buy tires from a Tesla Service Center. They’re too far away from me. Tirerack all the way.

I’d recommend never buying tires from the dealer/“service center” as you’ll pay full price. Find them as cheap as you can from a reputable vendor.

I can totally believe they told you this BS because it’s the same a-holes that used to work at Ford/Chevy/etc... and when they came to work at Tesla they brought the same BS.

that’s an awesome story, I’m sure the comments went crazy! I had Big O tell me Tesla tires are “special” and you can’t repair them... this is after the tire was off the wheel and nail removed so I HAD to buy a tire from them. Come to find out it was way below the recommended weight rating like hundreds of pounds. It’s been fun getting my money back and the proper tire.

I’d never buy tires from a Tesla Service Center. They’re too far away from me. Tirerack all the way.

Again, I would never recommend buying from the dealer/“service center”, cheapest good vendor. TireRack has been really good to me and decent price for delivered to the house (quickly)

Reactions: Zoomit
Costco has PS4S 4-tires set for $110 off. I plan to go there when the summer comes. For TO tires, tesla service center seem to be very competitive. But again, none TO tires such as PS4S tires are better choice.