Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Gemini [Mostly Winter] Tire Replacement - Vredestein Quatrac Pro?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rklip

Feb 3, 2020
WI
Greetings. So far I'm the opposite of a fan of the stock Continental Pro Contact RX tires, winter driving here in the upper Midwest. Started out feeling a bit too cushy/dead in cornering for my preference, and now in cold & light snow, care for them even less. They do not bite, sort of as expected, and a few times had me a bit concerned with control. This wheel set is mainly for winter, with summer rubber on the other (stock 21" Pirellis), and those will be staying in the rotation. But hopefully not exclusively for winter, more in that below.

For a replacement tire, I'm halfway between a proper high performance snow - like the Sottozero 3, which I have on my other vehichle and like playing with; vs. a snow friendly A/S like the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. The reason I'm having a hard time deciding is this vehicle is the family hauler, and because of that, I'd like to have this 2nd set also be available in warm months as the long range wheels when we do take road trips (you lose about 10% range with the 21's/Ubers).

Interested if anyone has experience with the Quatrac Pro, particularly in winter driving, as it appears to have generally solid ratings, and is the only one in it's class that is winter rated. Or, a comparable performance oriented A/S that has served you well in winter driving (e.g. Pilot Sport AS). Most of our driving is in the city (little salt use here, so packed snow on side streets 3-4 months), with some local and regional Interstate runs. Short distance for commutes/errands and generally never a reason to absolutely drive in active snowstorms, so 95% of the use pertains to those other situations. Like most folks in climates like I'm in though, it's being safe in that other 5%, while also not compromising all of the fun and handling of a vehicle like a MYP+ when it's nice outside (but still cold).

Appreciate any insights or suggestions!

Reactions: Gaige
I picked up a set this fall, and like them very much. They are quiet, handle warmer dry roads very well, and did admirably in a recent snowstorm, but obviously not as well as dedicated snows I’ve had in the past. They also look pretty good IMHO, I wasn’t sure at first. My caveat is that I switched from Ubers to 19” MW-03’s, so the weight and sidewall changes made a marked difference on their own, so it’s a little hard to attribute all the ride quality changes to the tire.

[Edit] To put it another way, I’m selling my stock Ubers w/ Pirellis.

Interested in the same.

A few people on here speak highly of the Vredesteins .. Quatrac Pro and Wintrac Pro.

I'm looking for the better snow performance, plus slightly smoother ride. Currently on the stock 20" inductions. Would go down to 19", but if there's enough votes of confidence in Quatrac Pro on 20" being a good all around tire with a 10-15 weekends in cold / snow / rain...

I always went with Michelin all seasons .. given the Bay Area to Tahoe frequent trips, always worked great.

I'm most interested in the good snow performance AS tire PLUS slightly better ride.
- then wondering about efficiency impact given road resistance.

Anyone with Quatrac Pros able to give more details?

I picked up a set this fall, and like them very much. They are quiet, handle warmer dry roads very well, and did admirably in a recent snowstorm, but obviously not as well as dedicated snows I’ve had in the past. They also look pretty good IMHO, I wasn’t sure at first. My caveat is that I switched from Ubers to 19” MW-03’s, so the weight and sidewall changes made a marked difference on their own, so it’s a little hard to attribute all the ride quality changes to the tire.

[Edit] To put it another way, I’m selling my stock Ubers w/ Pirellis.

Great feedback, thank you. Good point regarding the wheel weight as well, could be a factor. If I do go A/S and like them as is, not impossible I choose next year to unload the 21's as well. Just curious on that front, do you have a listing place in mind to sell? When Iooked around online in the fall, given all the Performance deliveries that were happening across the snow belt, it looked like a buyer's market woth plenty out there.

do you have a listing place in mind to sell?

I posted them on TMC the other day in the Tesla Parts Section and this morning on Craigslist in my region. I haven’t thought of other venues but am interested in hearing of any.

The buyers would have to be MY LR or P owners who like/want the option of the PUP look. I don’t think they fit nothing else. A used set of Ubers is still far less than a new set of pretty much anything else of the same caliber.

I posted them on TMC the other day in the Tesla Parts Section and this morning on Craigslist in my region. I haven’t thought of other venues but am interested in hearing of any.

The buyers would have to be MY LR or P owners who like/want the option of the PUP look. I don’t think they fit nothing else. A used set of Ubers is still far less than a new set of pretty much anything else of the same caliber.

Sounds about right. Outside of here, maybe reddit or ebay as well. Ebay will get the most eyeballs, but a little more to consider in order to come out the other end alright with shipping & selling fees in that marketplace.

You might consider the Nokian WR G4 if you can get it in your desired size. Snow performance approaching that of the Sottozero, low rolling resistance and fairly quiet. Actually marked as a traction tire, if you need that.

Hard to find in Tesla sizes and expensive. But a great tire.

• Helpful
Reactions: rklip
I picked up my Y LR AWD on 14 December and had Quatrac Pros put on the next day (my brand-new Continentals are for sale if anyone wants a set!). I've driven 2,000 miles since then between Philadelphia and Massachusetts, including maybe 150 miles of mild snowy highway conditions and about 45 minutes on local roads in snowy conditions.

I am very happy with the Quatracs. Crucially, because I'm planning on using them as year-round tires, they handle well and seem quiet (though I only have my memories of a test drive to compare to the Continentals since I drove them so briefly on my own car). Range seems fine—I'm sure there's some % hit, but it's not material as far as I can tell. (I've been using ABRP and its "calibrated reference consumption" for my car is basically the same as their default Model Y LR value.)

Their winter-weather performance has been very good — as opposed to excellent (I have X-ices on my previous car and I would describe their performance as excellent). There definitely has been some fishtailing when starting from zero with mild acceleration (it's been a long time since I felt that—I've had FWD cars for decades now!), and I have felt some slips on highway ramps. That being said, I've never felt at all out of control and I at least partly blame the Y's unique winter handling characteristics rather than the tires.

Given the additional confidence these give me (and my wife, who had some input into this) for the mild winter conditions we experience in the US Northeast, and the convenience of having a single set of tires, and assuming I can eventually sell the Continentals, I think switching to the Quatrac Pros was a great decision.

About 4000 miles on my Quatrac Pros so far and love them. Smooth, quiet, and the range hit was minimal. Haven't had a deep snowstorm, but heavy rain, light snow/slush handling was excellent. I have noticed that the tendency to hydroplane is much less with the Quatrac vs. Contis. Any vibration/humming over 60 mph is now gone (even though I had the Contis balanced twice by the SC, it really didn't improve much). My family and I all agree the ride is less harsh over small bumps, and it improved as I got over 250 miles on the tires, and settled in before 500 miles. I still ordered the UPP comfort springs, however...still waiting on the order to ship.

Appreciate the extra votes of confidence.

I'm going to order the Quatrac Pros and will share some experience once I get them.

They appear backordered now.. will see how long it takes to get them. It's an odd year among all other things, I haven't driven in snow yet, but expect to in 2-3 weeks max with the Y.

Regarding snow. I think tires must be a #1 on the "be prepared and control the variables you can.. " list. Maybe with EV charging options is another.
- (I still keep a pack shovel in the car, extra water and blanket).. used the shovel several times before the model y, I believe my chademo adapter might be the same kind of use if we ever get stuck in the insane chain control lines that happen regularly in California Sierras. (Been in 4-5 hours boxed in on I-80 a few late nights.. I can imagine a need to run to any charger if that ever happens in the Model Y going over Donner Summit).

About 4000 miles on my Quatrac Pros so far and love them. Smooth, quiet, and the range hit was minimal. Haven't had a deep snowstorm, but heavy rain, light snow/slush handling was excellent. I have noticed that the tendency to hydroplane is much less with the Quatrac vs. Contis. Any vibration/humming over 60 mph is now gone (even though I had the Contis balanced twice by the SC, it really didn't improve much). My family and I all agree the ride is less harsh over small bumps, and it improved as I got over 250 miles on the tires, and settled in before 500 miles. I still ordered the UPP comfort springs, however...still waiting on the order to ship.
Same experience for me. Ride is so much smoother than the 21inches wheels.

Vredestein Quatrac Pro seems to be good performing tires. I've read many positive things about it and here in NL it is known as a A brand tire.

HOWEVER, Quatrac Pro at the sizes of 245/45/19 and 245/35/21 EU labels show an efficiency (fuel consumption) level of E. Which is quite bad for your range. So you get good grip, good ice / snow performance and all. But you lose on range.
One of many reasons that I have 4 summer tires and 4 winter tires on separate wheels.

If I were to go for 4 season for any reason, I would go for Bridgestone Weather Control A005 EVO or something within the same price range with a better fuel efficiency. A005 has an EU label of C when it comes to efficiency. And an A for breaking on wet surfaces.

Edit: After further googling I found that there are 2 types of Quatrac Pro's. One with 3 snow flakes (3PMSF) performs better on snow. That one has a fuel efficiency of E. And then there is the other one, which has an efficiency of C on EU label. Both versions have B on wet surface braking.

5000+ miles on my Quatrac Pros from Tirerack. Noise/comfort are excellent. Many short and long trips, and haven't noticed any difference in consumption vs. the factory Contis when over 60 degrees out. Having never reset, I show 257 wh/mi since new, and easily get 230s when it is warm out. I don't go over 72 MPH on the highway though, and only for short duration. My 160 and 175 mi one-way trips are only 60% where I can really get up to 70 MPH. Of course, my consumption has gone up with temps in the 20s and 30s in the winter, but the tires have been a huge upgrade over stock. And the price is more than acceptable IMO.

I have not seen more than one version of the Quatrac pros in the US. There is a Wintrac Pro sold here as a performance winter tire but the Quatrac is an All Weather tire.

I watched a tyre review(?) vid on youtube where they noted that "All Season" doesn't necessarily mean the same thing in the US and EU. All Seasons in the US mean that they can run in all temps but All Weather tires are actually rated for all temps and conditions (M+S for mud and snow conditions).

I've spent some time on my Quatracs now and recently in a lot of snow and ice in the NE. Even today I took a detour through a parking area with around 6-8" of unplowed snow on pack-ice. Issues = 0%. Confidence = 100%. I was also out on the snow and ice-covered roads earlier this week, maybe 2" on the road, no salt but some sand on the ice patches. The car handled it fine as did the tires. Under "spirited driving" I could get them to squirm a little on acceleration and cornering but the car kicks in and corrects it immediately and the tires comply very nicely and don't make the electronics fight for grip.

The Quatracs are severe snow rated tires, and I have never driven a tire with that rating that felt so quiet on dry pavement at speed and performed on dry pavement well at all. I've usually done the winter wheel and tire set up with dedicated snow tires, but I'm skipping that ritual this year. Are there better snow tires? Yes. Are their quieter all-season tires? Yes. Is there a better all-around all-season tire with a severe snow service rating? Doubt it.

My $0.02.

Mine have the little mountain/show icon on them. They are all-weather, but on Tirerack it says they are "Severe Snow Service Rated"

Yes I see, you have the Efficiency C version.
The efficiency E version has 3 snowflakes on it.

B C Quatrac pro:
https://www.bandenconcurrent.nl/bandenmerken/vredestein/quatrac-pro/245-45-19-102Y/

B E Quatrac pro (3PMSF):
Band Vredestein 245/45 R19 102Y XL, FSL, 3PMSF | Quatrac PRO | BandenLeader.nl

Both are 4 season tires. It's same for EU and US. 4 season is 4 season. :)