Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm torn between the 19" Gemini and the 20" Induction choices. The gemini's look a bit basic. I prefer the Induction look, but the black is a bit too street scene for me. Will there be a silver version of the 20" inductions, or is that that the previous 20" Sport Wheels?

Reactions: Wennfred
FWIW - I was speaking with a sales rep last night from one of the show rooms - we were texting about the changes and new wheels, and he said when we get closer to these orders going into production they might be able to edit the wheel choice without changing the whole order/pricing.

That would be very ideal as I'd like the option for another wheel choice instead of just the two options. 19" or 20" silver Sport Model Y wheels would be perfect.

Ahh I see it all.

Just as an FYI - the 88090 price when configuring online includes delivery fees and AC tax of $1390 (which is not included/showing in our current order prices) like your current 82800.

If you remove that, the actual order price when doing it currently would be 86700. At this point its a $3900 increase for your order, of which $1300 is attributed to the increased FSD (from 7900 when we ordered to the 9200 it currently is) and that leaves $2600 for the new wheels.

OH! Thanks for that clarification. I won't get snowballed last minute about more fees I need to pay :(. I'm already anticipating an approx 100K price tag when all is said and done with registration fees, taxes, and some extra accessories I want to buy...but it still sucks.

I thought I saw before that our car price included the "$1,280 destination and documentation fee, $100 air conditioning fee and $10 OMVIC fee." But I trust you and looking over my documents nothing is blatantly mentioned so ...sad face...When did they make the change?

Probably best to wait and see how it plays out a bit before making any changes.

DEFINITELY agree with you and waiting...Want the lowest price possible. There are some PSAs out there where people too eagerly changed their order before Tesla was able to update accounts with the new changes and they had to absorb all the new pricing changes.

The wheels don't look THAT bad the longer I stare at them. Someone also mentioned curb rash or really any type of damage to the wheel will also show up with the black and I do have to agree.

Reactions: Joey_82
^Agreed. Honestly its a bit weird - when you configure in Canada the online price has $1390 worth of those extras included, but on the US configurator it doesn't. Anyway, good thing is the only real price change if we were to reconfigure right now would be taking a $1300 hit on FSD. Not bad having that locked in if its something you're interested in long term for your Y (I have it on my 3 and am pretty happy with it so far).

I think it'll be interesting to see when the Y launches in the US in March, and the site is updated with Y accessories, like wheel/tire packages and such. Should give us a good idea if we were to buy them separately. For example, the 3 comes with 18" wheels/tires standard. If you were to purchase the larger 19" set (wheels + tires) separate from Tesla as an accessory, they're $4700. Instead of letting our order increase by $3900 to upgrade to the 20" induction, we could likely keep it as is and put the money toward a separate set of wheels/tires afterwards.

I'll keep this thread updated in case I do hear from the one sales rep about modifying an order without causing a price change.

This was a from a different thread I had started on the same subject....of course this referenced the 18/20 options that are not the case anymore. For those with low profile concertns, the sidewall measurement is the important part.

From posts by Tsportline and some pictures people have taken of the prototypes, the Model Y's 19-inch wheels are 255/45, so that nets you around 114mm of sidewall.
The 18's are supposedly 255/50 with around 127mm of sidewall.
The 20's are 255/40 with 102mm of sidewall.

Do note that the Model 3's 235/45 aero wheels have around 105mm of sidewall.

Ayyy, thanks for quoting me.
Sadly, I think all the information I've posted has been invalidated when Tesla updated their configurator, and Tsportline hasn't made any updates to their wheel and tire guide either.
I've been doing a little more snooping and researching around the internet lately, here are my findings so far...

I think Tesla has swapped from 255 to 245 width tires, but don't quote me on this.
The images on Tesla's configurator are too blurry to get an accurate reading, but they're clear enough so that I can tell you the type of tire each wheel uses.

The 19's are 255/50 or 245/45 with Goodyear's Eagle Touring
The 20's are 255/40 or 245/45 with Goodyear's Eagle F1
The 21's are 245/45 with Pirelli P Zero's (ttothejizay has their own post on this)

• Informative
Reactions: Joey_82
Ayyy, thanks for quoting me.
Sadly, I think all the information I've posted has been invalidated when Tesla updated their configurator, and Tsportline hasn't made any updates to their wheel and tire guide either.
I've been doing a little more snooping and researching around the internet lately, here are my findings so far...

I think Tesla has swapped from 255 to 245 width tires, but don't quote me on this.
The images on Tesla's configurator are too blurry to get an accurate reading, but they're clear enough so that I can tell you the type of tire each wheel uses.

The 19's are 255/50 or 245/45 with Goodyear's Eagle Touring
The 20's are 255/40 or 245/45 with Goodyear's Eagle F1
The 21's are 245/45 with Pirelli P Zero's (ttothejizay has their own post on this)

Thanks for this research! I hadn't found the tire models previously. May I ask, what's leading to the 255/40 to 245/45 suspicion? It's a fairly large jump in sidewall size from about 102mm up to 110mm.

thanks!

Thanks for this research! I hadn't found the tire models previously. May I ask, what's leading to the 255/40 to 245/45 suspicion? It's a fairly large jump in sidewall size from about 102mm up to 110mm.

thanks!

So, there's been an influx of information since I last posted this.
The 20's are officially 255/40 (thank you TireRack for leaking), but the 245/45 suspicion came from Tesla's own configurator. Yes, if you zoom in when you configure your Tesla, you can actually see the wheel sizes and branding (it's even better on mobile, where the wheels get their own close-up shot).
But yeah, this post, aside from the factory OEM tire brands is basically outdated and obsolete.

TLDR: Tire brands are the same, sizes are different.

Again, Tire Rack has a lot of information on the Model Y tires.
Here's the updated information from a post by u/gundarx: Model Y tire specs published : teslamotors

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Was looking forward to the darker 18" aeros for my pearl white Model Y...but the 19" Geminis look gross with and without the covers on.

For me to upgrade to 20" induction...it'll cost me $3,990 CAD ($1,390 CAD FSD increase + $2,600 for 20" Induction")...at this point...I may as well pay $1300 for Deep Blue Metallic paint, too! :p

Is it better to upgrade now, or buy 20" Induction afterwards from Tesla?

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Was looking forward to the darker 18" aeros for my pearl white Model Y...but the 19" Geminis look gross with and without the covers on.

For me to upgrade to 20" induction...it'll cost me $3,990 CAD ($1,390 CAD FSD increase + $2,600 for 20" Induction")...at this point...I may as well pay $1300 for Deep Blue Metallic paint, too! :p

I'm going to wait it out...the more I look at it, the 19"s aren't that bad...while the black does aesthetically look pleasing, there are cons with potential pothole damage due to smaller sidewalls, less range, and scratches are very visible against the black.

I'm also going to see what my delivery agent can do in terms of changing wheels while still maintaining my original FSD pricing. The worse they say is no and I pony up the price or edit my order...but I might run into the risk of delaying delivery because I changed it.

Sooo many unknowns......I think I rather wait to see if I can save some extra money, 3K is a lot of hours at work...o_O

I'm going to wait it out...the more I look at it, the 19"s aren't that bad...while the black does aesthetically look pleasing, there are cons with potential pothole damage due to smaller sidewalls, less range, and scratches are very visible against the black.

I'm also going to see what my delivery agent can do in terms of changing wheels while still maintaining my original FSD pricing. The worse they say is no and I pony up the price or edit my order...but I might run into the risk of delaying delivery because I changed it.

Sooo many unknowns......I think I rather wait to see if I can save some extra money, 3K is a lot of hours at work...o_O

Yeah goood point, definitely worth waiting and seeing if the advisor can make changes without the FSD increase! Tesla sells the 19" Gemini wheels now, I'm surprised they don't show what's lurking underneath the covers lol

Absolutely torn between the 19" and 20". Love the 20s looks but feel like 19s are better for the car (range and life extending), and FREE. I bought white exterior.

Just feel like I could plasti dip or wrap my wheel covers on the 19"

Absolutely torn between the 19" and 20". Love the 20s looks but feel like 19s are better for the car (range and life extending), and FREE. I bought white exterior.

Just feel like I could plasti dip or wrap my wheel covers on the 19"

If I lived in the south where you do, I would for sure get the 20" inch rims. Only reason I didn't was because of the horrible pot holes we have.

Take the 19" with the option to use them for a winter set and purchase your 20" later for the summer (just an idea). Unlike the 21" performance neither are staggered. They toke their top of the line performance power train and put the smallest wheels they could find on it for the EPA test if that tells you something. At that point they reconfigured the performance with 19" wheel (using the smaller brakes so they could get them on) and toke the 20" performance wheels away from the ones that had ordered the Y performance and slap us with 21" staggered with a stated decrease in range. I would like the 20" performance wheels back as ordered (or the induction) but that is not an option at this stage. Based on all the personal contact I have had so far we would assume the option of 20" may not be forthcoming. Never cared too much about wheels but low platform staggered wheels are not going to cut it in the winter time up here so 20" will be in the horizon. If that is 1 or 2 sets time will tell.

Wow! It's fast paced in the world of Model Y configuration :D, changes every few weeks to keep us on our toes!

Echoing other users thoughts of the induction wheels complimenting the chrome delete on the Y. For an additional $2600 Cdn though, I need to weigh function vs aesthetics. Question:
  • Will 20" Induction wheels decease range vs. the 19" Gemini wheels?
  • Will 20" induction wheels be less safe during winter weather vs the 19" Gemini wheels?
Don't know if I can justify paying money to lose safety, traction, and range for aesthetically pleasing wheels. Though the devil on my shoulder has a strong argument that they look on point with the red paint :cool:

Thoughts? Someone want to be the angel on my shoulder? ;)

According to the owner's manual, going with the 20" wheels lowers your towing capacity by 34% compared to the 19" or 21" wheels.