TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

19" Tire Recommendation

Discussion in 'Model S' started by evma582, Feb 25, 2019.

1. evma582

evma582 Member

I'm looking at replacing the 19" tires on my S75. I've seen a lot of comments leaning towards Michelin, Pirelli, and Continental. Has anyone tried General G-MAX AS-05? They're running about $40 cheaper than those three and wanted to see if anyone has experience with them.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/general-gmax-as-05/p/34795

2. nativespinner

nativespinner Member

I like the Goodyear RS-A2 tires on my model S. Size is 245/45-19 load rating is 98V.

3. evma582

evma582 Member

Those are the original tires I have now. I've been fine with them, but a little disappointed that they won't make it to 27k. I've been able to put close to 30k or more on other cars, with the exception being my i3 that also needed replacement at 27k. Maybe my expectations are too high...

4. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

What kind of life are people getting with the Michelin, Perelli or Continentals?

5. patrick40363

patrick40363 Active Member

I get 12K out of the Michelin set. I will be replacing all 4 again in a week. They last me a year. They are also down to $197 per tire at Americas Tire.

6. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

I get 30k out of a set of Michelin MXM4s. That's primarily driving over seriously rough and busted country roads. People with more normal driving conditions could probably get 40k out of them with proper rotation.

7. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Member

Perhaps your expectations are too high. Pirelli Summer Tires will get you 10K... Yup that's bad...
    I bought Goodyear Eagle Touring All Seasons that came with the 19" rims I'm using for Winter & have read those will net at least 25K, but in the same thread people were talking 40K out of their Michelin Tires... but then you also have to wonder if they know how to tell how much tread is "worn out" on there particular tire??? Just cause ya see a groove doesn't mean the tire is still good...

8. aerodyne

aerodyne Active Member

Same here, or rather 25k on back, looks like front will make 33k. Second owner and it was a demo car for first 1300 miles. Michelin has a good treadwear warranty.

9. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

The car is so rough on tires that pretty much every tire will only give you 15-25k max... you need to decide if you then just get the cheapest decent tire or spend more for performance

10. aerodyne

aerodyne Active Member

Get a brand that has a treadwear warranty!

• Like x 1
  11. Langhorne

Langhorne Member

My stock Goodyears (I think) lasted 33k or so miles on my S75 could have stretched it for a couple of thousand miles, but winter was coming. Replaced them with Michelin Primacy MXM4's and have no complaints so far and haven't really noticed a big difference in ride quality or noise etc. I am no tire connoisseur though.
    Got them at Costco - they had a $70 off 4 tires and free (or was it $1?) install promo going on. I have driven about 6k miles on them and don't see any noticeable wear on the tread. Will need to go get them rotated one of these days.

Side story about the install - I called Costco (in Delaware) and the guy on the phone confirmed that they will install tires on a Tesla and they take walk-ins on weekends. I get there on a Sunday morning and wait 15-20 minutes in line to get checked in. As soon as I said "Tesla Model S" for the make/model, the guy who started to check me in (who seemed to be the manager/supervisor of the guy I talked to on the phone) said I need to make an appointment and come back on a weekday when they can take their time to work on the car. I have to admit there were several people in line behind me as well. And then he very loudly says "YOU CAN NOT BRING A SPACESHIP IN HERE WITHOUT AN APPOINTMENT". I turned all red. I had a printout of the jack points with me though and took me a few minutes to convince him that he can do it. Install worked out fine.

12. aerodyne

aerodyne Active Member

Funny story... I did stop by my Costco a few months back, but they did not carry the MXM4's. Did not even consider having them installed there. Costco I thought was just for Beer and Batteries...

What was your price per corner?

I got the Primacies through Tire Rack, cost was $217 each, no tax. I took off the rear wheels and went to a local installer, best rated and specializing in high quality rim sales and installs, said they did Tesla's before. Despite all my efforts to prevent this, they scratched my wheels... TWICE. Then they said, "Why don't you go to Tesla"

These are great tires, even in a few inches of hard packed snow.

13. Langhorne

Langhorne Member

I think it was around 850 after the discount for 4 tires.

14. aerodyne

aerodyne Active Member

Not bad...and I assume they did not scratch your wheels... IMG_20181128_125124101_HDR.jpg

15. Langhorne

Langhorne Member

No scratches, but I somehow didn't realize that they had installed those green valve stem caps until I got home. I would have rather kept my metallic looking ones.

16. aerodyne

aerodyne Active Member

I have seen the silver plastic ones some where..... Walmart?

17. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

A couple of members have bought these new Yokohama’s and say they are quite good. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+Ascend+GT

• Like x 1
  18. MAXimusCT

MAXimusCT New Member

Hi all, can I assume that the folks here who have bought from Costco or some other non-Tesla supplier has purchased regular tires (i.e. no foam lining/insert / sound dampening) and things have worked out just fine in their Model S's?

I'd prefer to sacrifice longer thread life for a bit of road noise, but don't even know if the latter will be an issue with standard non-foam tires.

Thanks all!

19. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

OEM tires last me 20K miles. Perelli cinturanto p7 plus with 70K miles warranty looks like it is going to last me 35K miles at best.

20. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

Bridgestone has a new “quiet” tire out now. It’s getting great reviews