Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Turbine Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my silver Luganos yesterday from Tire Rack with Xi3's. I also almost went with the 3D's but ultimately decided to err on the side of a harder core winter tire for around here and I liked the LRR. Having them put on in a couple of weeks. I'll post a side-by-side picture to supplement those already here when I can take one in daylight--probably this weekend, unless of course there are a bunch more pictures posted by then.

@nkohlimd -- I'm interested in the center cap stickers, thanks for looking into them

Received my silver Luganos yesterday from Tire Rack with Xi3's. I also almost went with the 3D's but ultimately decided to err on the side of a harder core winter tire for around here and I liked the LRR. Having them put on in a couple of weeks. I'll post a side-by-side picture to supplement those already here when I can take one in daylight--probably this weekend, unless of course there are a bunch more pictures posted by then.

Got the same but with Gunmetal

I spoke with Tesla Service Toronto yesterday and they said because of liability reasons they won't work with or put any other parts on the MS unless it is their parts. So if you get a set of tires and rims from Tire Rack with TR Sensors they will not sync them. It may be different in the states but that came from Eli the Service manager. Not will they install and balance tires and rims that are not their own. Makes sense from a certain point I view. I think it is just a ploy to make us pay for more accessories. But the difference in price between TR sensors and Tesla sensors for 4 was $143.00. I'd rather have OEM parts in and if they fail then it's Tesla's problem. I'm glad I found the Luganos. I'm going to get the Nokian tires at Kipling Tire. I bought the Tesla TPMS from Service and I'm going to order the Wheels from Tire Rack and the lug nuts from eBay.

I was just there today....and I was asking what other options I have, if Tesla in Toronto doesn't have winters for me and the SC doesn't want to support 3rd party products - rims and tires. If I am getting the car in December, then I am SOL with my new P85+. Are they expecting me to drive the car the summer high performance 21" tires? And even if I go third party, that would mean I'd have to drive in potentially slippery conditions to my tire installer which I would ship my tires to from TR. Doesn't make sense. Nor should ministry of transportation allow that vehicle on the road.

I just don't understand, if they have limitations, then they should provide some reasonable options.

[B said:
antioco[/B]]I spoke with Tesla Service Toronto yesterday and they said because of liability reasons they won't work with or put any other parts on the MS unless it is their parts. So if you get a set of tires and rims from Tire Rack with TR Sensors they will not sync them. It may be different in the states but that came from Eli the Service manager. Not will they install and balance tires and rims that are not their own.

Not rims, but I was able to order tires (not OEM) from TireRack and have them shipped directly to the Rockville Service Center. They are mounting/balancing them on my existing (Tesla 21") rims -- but they are not "Tesla" tires. They did have me sign a waiver basically saying they weren't provided by Tesla. But they had no issue doing this for me. I haven't tried them do it on non-Tesla rims, yet.

This is all the waiver said:

You, our Customer, hereby agree and acknowledge that Tesla Motors, Inc., and/or itsaffiliates ("Tesla") is installing a tire supplied by you on the above-listed vehicle that is not approved or recommended by Tesla. Tesla will not be responsible for, and you herebywaive any right to, any losses, damage or other liabilities arising or resulting from the use of such tires regardless of such installation by Tesla.

Pulled the trigger, thanks to all who trail blazed! Tire Rack was awesome to deal with. I know it's been mentioned but how cool is it that they have taken time to customize their on-line ordering process for us!? Tesla S is one of the drop down options, they include the lug nuts with the order FOC automatically and even mention that a Ranger may need to sync the TPMS for you, just seeing the word "Ranger" helped me feel more at ease. Went with the silver Lugano's with Michelin Primacy MXM4's, should look sweet with the contrasting xpell'ed gray. It was not easy for me to decide what to go with. I love the 21's but they just wont hack it for us all winter. winter tires are just not my thing, I really wanted one tire for year round that will last for several years, not several thousand miles. Considering most of what we deal with here during the winter is wet the primacy's seemed like they fit the bill and it helped that they are OEM. I found their test video's helpful in figuring out what should best match our priorities.

Ordered late last night, got an email from a gentlemen this morning asking me to call him. I called and it turned out they had one set of silver Lugano's left in Connecticut and split the small difference in the shipping charges and I got confirmation that they were shipped a few hours later!! the guy also mentioned that the TPMS were the exact same as Tesla OEM, just a different part number. Also went for the Road Hazard. I asked about negative camber, inside wear and the warranty, the guy said that as long as all wheels are warn the same way, proving they'd been rotated as recommended, the warranty would still apply. have to admit being a bit intimidated buying tires and non-OEM wheels over the internet, but these guys and all of you have really made it good for Tesla owners!

Last edited:
Got mine installed today. They're shod with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires. Normally I'd use Michelins, but Turanza were rated higher then the comparable Michelin tire on just about every measure. I've only driven about 15 miles on them, but I'm very impressed. The ride quality and quiet of the tires is a noticeable improvement over the 21" Conti's. Now I have to get Tesla center caps.

The wear on my 21's (7,000 miles) was surprisingly even and lower than I expected, and this without any rotation. When I put them back on in the spring, it looks like they'll be good for another season at least.

Here's the one photo I was able to take of the Rial's on this rainy day in Maryland.

20131101_104431_1.jpg

Nice pics, guys! If these are our crappy winter wheels we're not doing too bad.

I got the center caps wrapped in matte black today for $40. I wanted matte carbon fiber, but they didn't have any in stock. I wasn't sure how to prepare the surface to spray paint the caps, which was my original plan. Overall, I think they blend in much better and leaves a background for a Tesla T, perhaps.
u6yvesyj.jpg

adetuja5.jpg

After driving more than 200 miles with the new Rial's and TireRack TPMS with no pressure warning, now suddenly I get a warning. Minor annoyance that I'm sure can be remedied with my first ranger visit.

It may not be the new rims and TPMS' that are causing this. There is a bug that sends out a TPMS warning after driving long distances continuously. I've had this happen on four separate trips, and each one was a long distance drive of more than 200 miles or so when the warning popped up. The warning went away when I pulled over and turned off the car and re-started it. Others have reported this same bug in similar circumstances.

Fantastic and you all have such good taste in multi coat red! Getting mine put on tomorrow is there anything special I need to let the garage know? Last time I had a tire worked on they did not seem to know how to lift the Tesla. They told me they would have to do one tire at a time instead of lift the whole car? I'm not really feeling very confident in their knowledge of the car and also what torque lug nuts should be