Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19 vs 20 in wheels on model 3 non-performance version...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I upgraded my 19" to 20" wheels would the car raise by 1/2"? The reason I ask is that I pick up an elderly gentleman several times / week and I can go in and out of his driveway just fine when I'm by myself, but when he's in the car (and he's not a huge guy so that's the problem) I rub and the sound just makes me cringe. I think if I could just get the car a tiny bit higher I'd be fine.

If I upgraded my 19" to 20" wheels would the car raise by 1/2"? The reason I ask is that I pick up an elderly gentleman several times / week and I can go in and out of his driveway just fine when I'm by myself, but when he's in the car (and he's not a huge guy so that's the problem) I rub and the sound just makes me cringe. I think if I could just get the car a tiny bit higher I'd be fine.

The car height will be the same because the wheel overall is the same diameter. If you want to raise the ride height you can get an aftermarket suspension or a lift kit (I've seen them for sale but haven't seen any reviews). The easiest way would be going with a slightly larger tires, 255 width vs 235 stock will give you an extra 0.6". This also gives you more grip and sidewall for protection against potholes but your range will also decrease by 5-15%.

From tiresize.com:
x9ttkYI.png

That's awesome! I think 1/2" would get me over the hump (literally). What about the sound deadening foam that is in the stock tires, do you know if that is available / can be added to the 255/40R19's? Thanks,

Dunc

For now the foam is only available on OEM sizes but from what I've heard here, it doesn't seem to be much louder compared to performance all seasons like continental DWS or michelin AS3+. Much better performance, cheaper, with a little bit more noise might be a worthwhile trade.

Also it just came to my mind that while the 255 size is 0.6" larger, you're only getting half of that below the car and the other half filling in space between the wheel well. Might not be enough but could be worth a try if you were planning on replacing tires anyway!

Last edited:
I bought the 20" performance wheels for my SR+ from a private party and had them installed at my local auto shop. So I don't have the rear suspension adjustments, but so far no issues, rides well. Also I had my car avatar updated to display the 20 inch wheels instead of the 18" aero wheels.

10A56812-4F83-4A42-9A8B-43442F6A6968.jpeg
I bought the 20" performance wheels for my SR+ from a private party and had them installed at my local auto shop. So I don't have the rear suspension adjustments, but so far no issues, rides well. Also I had my car avatar updated to display the 20 inch wheels instead of the 18" aero wheels.

I did same with 20” on LR RWD. How did you update avatar? Need to contact service center?

Reactions: dfwatt and Msjulie
The tire is also a compromise, a little more performance a little less range but since I will never track the car, the added performance w/accompanying loss of range was beyond what I wanted to give up there..

I lied as it turned out, I did track the car once (so far) and the 19s were fine, certainly not the best but I wasn't out to win any races and it was plenty fun. I did upgrade the brakes prior, I think that turned out to be important.

I'm still sticking with the OEM 19's for the time as on the road, they still seem to be a good compromise on range and fun

some observations from a lr awd going from 19 to 20 performance. I just did a wheel swap, no lowering:
  • car feels "taller" when driving
  • car feels "heavier" and "slower" during straight line acceleration (the old lady noticed, too)
  • car handles noticeably better during spirited driving on turns
  • the soft & gliding ride quality is no longer present
  • efficiency took a noticeable hit - 300+ when I used to be at 270
  • the michelin pilot sport tires are easily the best tires I've experienced - grip for days

With the above being mentioned, I will most likely swap back the 19s at some point