Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Day Reservation Holders & Free Long Distance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did everyone get their free gift for those of us that lined up? i still haven't received anything.

Contact [email protected], that who customer service referred me to a couple of months ago. I sent them an email with my name, reservation number from my myTesla page, and date of reservation. They replied, asked for my address and I had it via Federal Express in a couple of days.

Did you really get piece of card stock with drawings and text or you are just guessing what is the gift? Anyway, it should be nice to get some souvenir from Tesla.

He's referring to this: Did anybody else frame their Model 3 thank you gift?

Which, it seems, most people that placed a reservation received, regardless of what day they reserved. Many people also speculate that there will some sort of additional gift for those of us that waited in line.

It's a discounted battery upgrade. The hardware will already be there. It's just a matter of unlocking it via software. Won't cost them anything more to do and it will allow them to get an early read on the battery performance.

Dream on ... :cool:

Model 3 poster.jpg

It's a discounted battery upgrade. The hardware will already be there. It's just a matter of unlocking it via software. Won't cost them anything more to do and it will allow them to get an early read on the battery performance.

Dream on ... :cool:

I agree, a battery upgrade is unlikely.
  • Just because it doesn't seem like it, there is certainly a cost to Tesla to give that away. They would be missing probably hundreds of thousands in opportunity costs by giving away one of the things that most people are willing to pay for anyway.
  • There is also no guarantee that the batteries, at any size, will be software locked.
  • Lastly, how would that, in any way, give them an early read on battery performance? The first cars will be to employees, probably as much as a month before anyone else. After that it'll likely be prior owners near the factory.

Make it up in goodwill and media?

Kinda sad that by the time I get my m3 I'm missing out on the Tesla that went above and beyond. Some of the shine has rubbed off I feel.
Tesla feels it's kinda sad that by the time they got your order they had to cut the price of the car in half! As far as battery upgrades go, this isn't a model S. I doubt they will be building all cars with a larger battery than it's been spec'd for. They need to make money on these things, even the bare bones models with no upgrades.

Kinda sad that by the time I get my m3 I'm missing out on the Tesla that went above and beyond. Some of the shine has rubbed off I feel.
I don't understand.
You realize that the Sig Red paint on those signature Model S's wasn't free?
The whole "Signature" set was a none trivial extra cost, which unlocked some extra options and got details like Elon's signature on a plaque.
All these posts somehow expecting a free paint job or free built in extra options are setting unrealistic (and unfounded?) expectations.
It didn't happen with Model S or X so why expect it with the cheaper and thinner margin Model 3?

You mean like in that old saying about selling an item at a loss but making up for it in volume? :) Tesla is going to have enough of a challenge selling the base Model 3 profitably for $35,000, so they can't just give away additional battery capacity without charging for it. I guess they can just jack up the base price to $40,000, put in a bigger battery that's software limited, and then charge people an additional amount to unlock that additional capacity. Don't think that would go over too well with most owners.
Kinda sad that by the time I get my m3 I'm missing out on the Tesla that went above and beyond.
Companies starting out may do extra things to gain traction in the marketplace; however, some of these things may not be sustainable long-term. Also, when a lower-cost product line is offered, it's not going to come with the same level of amenities as with the premium line. A coach passenger shouldn't lament about not getting the bigger seats, edible food and "free" drinks afforded the first-class passengers.
Some of the shine has rubbed off I feel.
A can of wax, a rag and some elbow grease will shine that right up real nice. :) Seriously, though, we'll be getting an amazing, revolutionary car at a price-point that many "regular' folks can afford. As a first-day reserver, my reward is to be among the first (after employees and existing Tesla owners :) ) to get a Model 3. And I plan to keep the shine on mine (as long as the arthritis in my elbow doesn't act up)!

Did you come from a large family?

When the "popular meal" was being served (maybe pizza night)....were you late to the dinner table?

Probably not. Why? Because you wouldn't get as much as you wanted/the type you wanted. You were happy to have what was left.

Life lesson: if you show up late, you get what you get.

Reactions: Falkirk
Did you come from a large family?

When the "popular meal" was being served (maybe pizza night)....were you late to the dinner table?

Probably not. Why? Because you wouldn't get as much as you wanted/the type you wanted. You were happy to have what was left.

Life lesson: if you show up late, you get what you get.
Not sure that analogy fits here, Tesla's aren't in short supply like the pizza, they've just cut back on what is comes with, like i came late so my parents removed the pep and mushrooms and tried to sell it back to me. Weird, why would my parents do that, they don't even like pizza.....sorry went off the rails.

But I get that Tesla is a lot more popular now than before so they're cutting back on perks that separated them from traditional car companies, which was needed then. The buying process, the maintenance and loaner cars, ranger services, customer service I hoped tesla would keep being different in some ways. c'est la vie it'll still be a great car that I'm looking forward to driving. I'm also a shareholder so I'm sure I'm benefitting from this cut back of frills.

Last edited:
Not sure that analogy fits here, Tesla's aren't in short supply like the pizza, they've just cut back on what is comes with, like i came late so my parents removed the pep and mushrooms and tried to sell it back to me. Weird, why would my parents do that, they don't even like pizza.....sorry went off the rails.

But I get that Tesla is a lot more popular now than before so they're cutting back on perks that separated them from traditional car companies, which was needed then. The buying process, the maintenance and loaner cars, ranger services, customer service I hoped tesla would keep being different in some ways. c'est la vie it'll still be a great car that I'm looking forward to driving. I'm also a shareholder so I'm sure I'm benefitting from this cut back of frills.

Maybe, maybe not, but you get my point.

Tesla doesn't need to "give" anyone anything to drum up interest in the Model 3. They've pulled in nearly 400,000 reservations.

If you get something extra because you were onboard early, cool. But you can't expect to have put down a reservation a month later and get the same perks as Day 1 reservation holders. That's just not how it works.

If it makes you that sad, you can shop around until you find someone who will shower you with gifts for purchasing their product, but in the automotive world, you may continue to be disappointed.

Reactions: Falkirk
Maybe, maybe not, but you get my point.

Tesla doesn't need to "give" anyone anything to drum up interest in the Model 3. They've pulled in nearly 400,000 reservations.

If you get something extra because you were onboard early, cool. But you can't expect to have put down a reservation a month later and get the same perks as Day 1 reservation holders. That's just not how it works.

If it makes you that sad, you can shop around until you find someone who will shower you with gifts for purchasing their product, but in the automotive world, you may continue to be disappointed.
No no you misunderstood, I am a pre reveal reserver I am! In line in Toronto in the cold rain. Oh That's why I didn't think the analogy fit. 2 different wave lengths.

I was just hoping that our "something special" was a bit more than just badging, or a colour that might not be everyone's cup of tea, imagine if it's signature green?! Lol I recommend something that won't break the bank, my best suggestion was a bit extra kwh supercharge or upgraded seats with signature stitched in and badging which someone will steal, etc.

Tesla doesn't NEED to give us anything, I recently went to Cesar's Palace and they had Italian marble urinal dividers in washroom, what's the ROI/cost analysis before they decided they needed that? just like iphones or other high end electronics don't NEED high end Fancy packaging which will be thrown out, but it adds to brand loyalty and customer experience, which I hope stays. Yes 400k reservations is huge but if "something special" is really special, how many extra reservations is that for model Y? That's for people at Tesla to figure out.

Last edited: