Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st super charge on model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi,
managed to find a local supercharger yesterday. At first I was not able to remove the adapter thought it was stuck but it requires a good yank up and then pull out. Model 3 is always the Top cable. Lots or bangs during charging.

results yesterday looked good but I am not sure what i should be comparing too

HP2nPnl.jpg

Lots or bangs during charging

Expansion of metal parts (apparently)

I am not sure what i should be comparing too

I would have expected to see over 100kW. However, you are getting close to 50% at that point, and kW reduces as SOC percentage increases

Beware if you were "paired" - someone else was already charging at the paired stall. Stalls are numbered 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B ... and if the other A/B stall is occupied they will get full power and you will get the remainder until they leave (or reach high SOC and their charge starts to taper)

When i plug in I wait a minute or so until it ramps up and check I am getting a decent wack. I know roughly how much I can expect, depending on my SOC. Generally I don't stop to charge until I am down to around 20%, so I can expect full beans at that SOC ... if not then I move to another stall.

Worth noting your kW charge rate, at various %SOC (you should be able to change that in the setting), and then you will know what to expect at future stops.

When I picked my car up from West Drayton on Thursday it only had 38% charge and I had a 220 mile drive home. I stopped first at Oxford to give it a boost and it started charging at 119KW. I stopped again at Keele and got pretty much the same. No problems at all.

What did worry me, though, is that at both sites only two of the eight chargers had had the second cables for M3s added. This seems pretty universal, and it’s going to be a big problem in the not too distant future. It won’t be too long before numbers of M3s exceed numbers of MS and X combined.

This seems pretty universal,

No it most definitely is not universal. Over 3/4 of the stalls in the UK have been converted, and only a few sites remain with only 2-stalls (and in some cases 4-stalls) converted.

They are mostly in the West/North West, so yes Oxford and Keele that you stopped at.

Tesla have rolled out upgrades to Supercharger sites for CCS across the whole of EU since February. They did all-sites 2-or-4-stalls first, and then have been revisiting them to convert all the rest; the fact that only a few sites remain to be revisited after such a short period of time should be applauded, whilst of course taking into account those that haven't been on your travels.

Bigger problem is that Model-S/X drivers may well not be aware and occupy the only CCS stalls at such sites.

Reactions: djgillett
What did worry me, though, is that at both sites only two of the eight chargers had had the second cables for M3s added. This seems pretty universal, and it’s going to be a big problem in the not too distant future. It won’t be too long before numbers of M3s exceed numbers of MS and X combined.

Yes this is a problem for some on this route, as I have started to see all CCS in use and the rest are empty :/

Lets hope that Tesla have actually planned the upgrades!

No it most definitely is not universal. Over 3/4 of the stalls in the UK have been converted, and only a few sites remain with only 2-stalls (and in some cases 4-stalls) converted.

They are mostly in the West/North West, so yes Oxford and Keele that you stopped at.

Its ok if you don't frequent the West/North West but if you do then the chances are that you will be using most of the 25% converted sites, I'd normally agree but having seen all 2 of the CCS chargers taken up (off peak) and the rest of the 6 stalls empty it is starting to look like a problem especially when the only 2 chargers have to share the power.

it is starting to look like a problem especially when the only 2 chargers have to share the power.

I agree its a problem, and unfortunate for anyone who needs to use one, when the rest of country doesn't have that issue.

But I think also need to be realistic about what Tesla can achieve, can fund, and how quickly they have done this already. We would be facing a much bigger crisis-looming if they weren't getting on with it.

Of course I am expecting Tesla to get on with it, so if that doesn't happen then its a looming problem.

I will post a "Not yet done" list in the Supercharger Thread so that anyone following that will at least know where the blackspots are.

That’s very useful info. Elon must have something against NW England as, apart from Burtonwood, none of the supercharger sites near me have more than two CCS chargers. My nearest site is at Charnock Richard, and two out of twelve is pretty poor.

Interestingly, the Tesla bloke who did our group presentation on handover day last Thursday said quite specifically that Tesla recommend charging to 90%. He said he’d read zillions of comments on forums saying a maximum of 80% for routine charging was best, but he was adamant that 90% is fine.

Reactions: Rooster6655
You think? Much more likely its just logistics for the rollout team and the most efficient and least-cost way to get them all upgraded. Either way it clearly isn't possible for Tesla to do "everyone's nearest Supercharger first"

Might be because of an uncle of Talulah Riley from the North West used to piss Elon off at every family gathering or maybe its where Vernon Unsworth was from, so this is his revenge...

You think? Much more likely its just logistics for the rollout team and the most efficient and least-cost way to get them all upgraded. Either way it clearly isn't possible for Tesla to do "everyone's nearest Supercharger first"

No, I don’t think - I was being mildly sarcastic. I very much doubt Elon deigns to personally oversee the upgrade to CCS in England.

I do think, though, that instead of upgrading some sites to 100% CCS capability and others to only 25% (or 17% in the case of Charnock Richard) it would have made sense to upgrade all sites to 50% first and then carry on the rollout from there.

I do think, though, that instead of upgrading some sites to 100% CCS capability and others to only 25% (or 17% in the case of Charnock Richard) it would have made sense to upgrade all sites to 50% first and then carry on the rollout from there.

It was more like all sites to 25% then revisit each to take it to 100%, they just haven't finished the revisits yet.

Reactions: Rooster6655