Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st super charge on model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do think, though, that instead of upgrading some sites to 100% CCS capability and others to only 25% (or 17% in the case of Charnock Richard) it would have made sense to upgrade all sites to 50% first and then carry on the rollout from there.

I would think it depends on what the limiting factors are. It would be interesting to see what the previously annotated map looks like if overlaid with DNO regions and seeing ant correlation. I appreciate that the upgrade may not increase power requirements for the site (presumably its either/or CCS vs original?) but a DNO may possibly not see it like that and require extra significant assurances, paperwork or restrictions.

32272D55-2CAD-422E-8C71-D324D2CCF8A2.jpeg
Telford Supercharger. It really does 130kW :)

I only had 80 miles on collection in my SR+, had to leave to collect one of the kids from the school bus after only 10 minutes on the supercharger, and got home with only 30 miles left (not good for battery). Then set the battery limit, plugged it in, and left it. This morning, it had gone over the 80% limit I set, and was at around 95%.

Anyone any idea what I did wrong? Trying to look after the battery, and not off to a good start!

got home with only 30 miles left (not good for battery)

its not a problem for the battery, other than leaving it sit at either very low, or high, state-of-charge for a long time.

Anyone any idea what I did wrong?

How did you set the limit? If it was on the car's dashboard then its definitely strange that it would charge over that (presumably the Limit was showing "below" the actual at that point?). On Model-S (presumably same on Model-3) you drag the slider to change the limit and then have to [also] press "Set limit" button to actually make that stick. So if, per chance?, you only dragged the slider might it be that you didn't press the SET LIMIT button?

If you were using some 3rd party method of setting the limit then maybe it failed to communicate properly.

Trying to look after the battery

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My advice would be:

if you come home below 20% charge immediately (don't wait for Off Peak in the middle of the night)
If you want to charge to above 90% (for a long trip) then try to set off soon after it completes (and if your trip is cancelled maybe "burn off" some percent to get it down towards 90% [leaving heating/air-con on flat out would do, unless you feel like driving 30 miles])

But either way, if the car sits below 20%, or above 90%, for several hours there isn't any need to be anxious. There are Tesla airport taxis that have done 100,000 - 200,000 miles and have been seriously abused - rapid charged to 100% and left sitting like that overnight ... repeatedly ... and still only had about 7% degradation ...

Reactions: dhrivnak and Roy W.
its not a problem for the battery, other than leaving it sit at either very low, or high, state-of-charge for a long time.

How did you set the limit? If it was on the car's dashboard then its definitely strange that it would charge over that (presumably the Limit was showing "below" the actual at that point?). On Model-S (presumably same on Model-3) you drag the slider to change the limit and then have to [also] press "Set limit" button to actually make that stick. So if, per chance?, you only dragged the slider might it be that you didn't press the SET LIMIT button?

If you were using some 3rd party method of setting the limit then maybe it failed to communicate properly.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My advice would be:

if you come home below 20% charge immediately (don't wait for Off Peak in the middle of the night)
If you want to charge to above 90% (for a long trip) then try to set off soon after it completes (and if your trip is cancelled maybe "burn off" some percent to get it down towards 90% [leaving heating/air-con on flat out would do, unless you feel like driving 30 miles])

But either way, if the car sits below 20%, or above 90%, for several hours there isn't any need to be anxious. There are Tesla airport taxis that have done 100,000 - 200,000 miles and have been seriously abused - rapid charged to 100% and left sitting like that overnight ... repeatedly ... and still only had about 7% degradation ...

Thank you - that does put my mind at rest, much appreciated.

With regard to the charge, I did set the slider in the car, and pushed set limit. You are correct in that the battery charge was above that line in both the phone app, and in the car when I awoke this morning.

Hopefully tmrw it will have just charged to the line!

Trying to look after the battery, and not off to a good start!
Definitely don’t worry.

In 2015 we got a 24kWh Nissan Leaf, which only had a roughly 80 mile range fully charged. Because I knew we’d only be keeping the car for the two year PCP (and because of the limited range) I always charged the Leaf to 100%. The lowest we got was 1% left, or less than a mile.

Using Leaf Spy I could check the State of Health (SOH) of the battery, and after the two years of being rather abused the SOH was still 97%, so the battery had lost just 3% of its capacity.

Another point to remember is that Tesla battery technology is leaps ahead of Nissan’s, so Tesla’s batteries tend to be more durable.

Reactions: ME_UK and pwrkiter
the battery charge was above that line in both the phone app, and in the car when I awoke this morning.

That is definitely odd! Sorry, no suggestions ... it is possible to press START CHARGE, e.g. on the APP, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't works if/when above the SET LIMIT ...

Only possible explanation, in my mind, is "Was set to X, then raised to Y, before charging got to that point, and then lowered to X (after charging has passed it)". For that to happen, other than someone having a laugh at your expense, or software bug, I have no idea.

I would do a REBOOT anyway ... only snag is that if that fixes it the original cause is then unknown, and may strike again .... Software eh?!

Did Fleet supercharging on way home from collection. We were rushed out too quick to be able to play with setting up Fleet as a destination, so, as passenger, I just put 'fleet supercharger' into destination on drive. In hindsight, this is not the way to do it. As well as being too cumbersome, it didn't tell us anything about number of CCS equipped ones they had.

When we got there, there were two at far end. One occupied by an empty Model 3 and another by a Model X with someone inside. When asked politely, he moved to another vacant stall, but even though he said that it was only vacant one when he arrived (I had breezed through a few times in last month and never seen it as busy as yesterday, not helped by the stalls still to be comissioned) I got the impression that he didn't realise they were Model 3 only.

First time of reversing can it seemed to go well and was already hooked up by time I got out of car for the monumental first charge. It didn't start immediately so thinking we had done something wrong, started again. A bit more patience this time, it worked. No fuss, just amazement of how does it know who we are etc... and as my card was on the account, was it going to take it from free supercharger miles; still don't know the answer to that.

A little disheartening to see 1hr 30minutes estimated charge. We were on about 15% and were going to charge to what looked like 70%. I had felt a little guilt about occupying the supercharger for so long, but then realised that it was stool 1A and stool 1B was probably getting the full whack so anyone charging would be there for a while. So actually, our long delay was due to charge at 30kW due to pairing and a quick splash and dash would not have been any use whatsoever as we currently have no home charge option.

So went for a quick break, only to be sat near a couple talking about new car and touch screen. They left not long after so I wondered if charge rate would speed up. And 5 minutes later, as if by magic, our charge time came right down. It started feeling all rather rushed at that point, so lesson learned. Next lesson was to adjust charge cutoff to give a few minutes. All rather hit and miss, but when we got back to car we manually stopped the charge at 80%. Not found a way to set this accurately except via TeslaFi.

On arriving back home, I found the traffic and supercharger icons on map. That seemed a much better way of setting supercharger destination.

All in all, Supercharger lived up to its excellent reputation. Just need to be more mindful of shortage of M3 charging at Fleet and hope my lootbox recognises the charge.

Last edited:
I just put 'fleet supercharger' into destination on drive

Clicking on the Supercharger Pin then offers NAVIGATE, and will pre-heat the battery en route for optimum charging when you get there. But I think that presupposes that you know where Superchargers are (but as you say, the Supercharger button whelps to point them out). Alternative is just to put your final destination in and then if not enough energy to reach it then SatNav will route you via a Supercharger. That's useless if you don't need a supercharger to get to destination ... bu do need some extra charge for WHEN you get there ...

You could try the Voice Recognition : "Navigate to XXX and make sure I have at least 100 miles of range when i get there" ... athough I'm pretty sure that's not even in V10 :) although the Taycan voice recognition is a lot closer to actually being able to do that sort of, useful, trick. Your Model-3 will put on twice as many miles at Supercharger in the time that Taycan can at a ultra rapid charger (assuming it can find one ...) and you've got a bit more cash in your pocket ... what was the question again? :cool:

All rather hit and miss, but when we got back to car we manually stopped the charge at 80%

You could set the CHARGE LIMIT on the dash, and that would give you accurate completion time (which would then change when the a paired car left), but once reached you would have to pay "fine" for occupying a stall but not charging, so apart from not being a good citizen :rolleyes: setting CHARGE LIMIT to 100% ... or 90% - even if you don't intend to charge that high - does give you some leeway.

You can also put your next destination into SatNav to get a feel for how much energy you need (maybe adding 10% for "contingency") (You have to press "resume journey" or something like that to get it to show you the (negative, to start with) battery position for the remainder of the journey).

I think it is helpful to know how fast the car charges, so you might want to make a note at 5 minute intervals, and incorporate that with getting to a Supercharger to start charging at 10%, or lower. If you have TeslaFi you can extract that "knowledge" from the Graph it displays (or look at Help : Raw Data to get some more specific figures if that is your sort of thing)

Knowing what to expect means you can just watch that the car does indeed ramp-up to expected kW, in the first minute or so, before you wander off for Pee and Coffee ... and also when it begins to taper, and by how much. I've had stalls that were bust and were on much lower power than normal - just moving to another stall fixes that. You probably won't care for the slightly longer charging time from 70% to 80%, but you definitely would for 80% to 90% :) If another charger is available on your journey then journey time is shorter to drive-faster and charge-longer and stay out of Taper ... you do need an unoccupied stall that is working, but if you are going to have to stop anyway ...

Whilst getting a bite to eat you can use the Phone APP to see how the charging is getting on, and when it speeds up (as the paired car leaves)

All that is more complicated if need running-around-charge when you get to destination or until home charger installed etc.

Did Fleet supercharging on way home from collection. We were rushed out too quick to be able to play with setting up Fleet as a destination, so, as passenger, I just put 'fleet supercharger' into destination on drive. In hindsight, this is not the way to do it. As well as being too cumbersome, it didn't tell us anything about number of CCS equipped ones they had.

When we got there, there were two at far end. One occupied by an empty Model 3 and another by a Model X with someone inside. When asked politely, he moved to another vacant stall, but even though he said that it was only vacant one when he arrived (I had breezed through a few times in last month and never seen it as busy as yesterday, not helped by the stalls still to be comissioned) I got the impression that he didn't realise they were Model 3 only.

First time of reversing can it seemed to go well and was already hooked up by time I got out of car for the monumental first charge. It didn't start immediately so thinking we had done something wrong, started again. A bit more patience this time, it worked. No fuss, just amazement of how does it know who we are etc... and as my card was on the account, was it going to take it from free supercharger miles; still don't know the answer to that.

A little disheartening to see 1hr 30minutes estimated charge. We were on about 15% and were going to charge to what looked like 70%. I had felt a little guilt about occupying the supercharger for so long, but then realised that it was stool 1A and stool 1B was probably getting the full whack so anyone charging would be there for a while. So actually, our long delay was due to charge at 30kW due to pairing and a quick splash and dash would not have been any use whatsoever as we currently have no home charge option.

So went for a quick break, only to be sat near a couple talking about new car and touch screen. They left not long after so I wondered if charge rate would speed up. And 5 minutes later, as if by magic, our charge time came right down. It started feeling all rather rushed at that point, so lesson learned. Next lesson was to adjust charge cutoff to give a few minutes. All rather hit and miss, but when we got back to car we manually stopped the charge at 80%. Not found a way to set this accurately except via TeslaFi.

On arriving back home, I found the traffic and supercharger icons on map. That seemed a much better way of setting supercharger destination.

All in all, Supercharger lived up to its excellent reputation. Just need to be more mindful of shortage of M3 charging at Fleet and hope my lootbox recognises the charge.
It appears that during the first 48 hours after pickup Supercharging is free anyway. This ties in with my experience. I’ve charged three times - the first, at Woodhall South was on the way home from picking up the car. The car showed a cost, around £8 I think, but I’ve never been billed for that one. My other two charges were on our way to and back from Tenby a few weeks ago. These showed costs of £11-odd and £5-odd, and both of these have been charged to my card.

I'm still waiting for an answer back from Tesla on my missing referral miles :(

You’re right, the whole Supercharger experience is quite magical - quick, seamless and trouble free. They just need to extractum digitum on the rest of the CCS stalls.

They aren't 'Model 3 only...' if they were then there would only be a CCS connector there...

... and what he described is exactly what I have previously said is going to happen from time to time, when he arrived that was his only choice, so nothing wrong in taking it, or remaining there until a Model 3 that needed it turned up.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
hi,
managed to find a local supercharger yesterday. At first I was not able to remove the adapter thought it was stuck but it requires a good yank up and then pull out. Model 3 is always the Top cable. Lots or bangs during charging.

results yesterday looked good but I am not sure what i should be comparing too

HP2nPnl.jpg
It looks like you have the charge limit set to 50%. If so two problems here. First is charging slows down as you close in the limit. The other bigger problem is the battery has no chance to balance itself. I know on the Roadster you need to be above 83% to balance. 80% will not cut it so I have my Model 3 set to 90%