Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Tesla - Shocked at process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good that you ask...been months since Elon promised a phone call about the refresh. Only thing that has happened since then is all the promised delivery windows have now passed, with zero communication.
There was a Q4 2020 conference call where he mentioned the refresh of the S and X, and promised deliveries of September 2021.

There was a Q4 2020 conference call where he mentioned the refresh of the S and X, and promised deliveries of September 2021.
That was for plaid plus, I know, I reserved one...

In said call, he promised another call to provide more details on the other refresh models...which were to be delivered in Feb-March.

That call never happened. That's my beef.

I'm amazed that although everybody seems to understand the concept of deadlines in personal and professional lives, you all seem to work for and with companies that always meet deadlines, and amazingly enough only learn about Tesla, Elon and Elon time since about a month.

Meanwhile, my brother ordered a BMW motorcycle in December 2020, it was scheduled to be built in week 9 of 2021 and now in week 13 nor the dealer, importer and BMW Germany can tell him where his motorcycle is, if it's built, and if it actually comes with the options he wanted since those disappeared in the meantime from the website. And we're like "yeah that's annoying but not to be unexpected from car manufacturers".

Europe gets to wait even longer - I was chatting with some owners in the UK who were ticked off about the lag.

Considering the European automakers' EV's are popping up like crazy - this is going to be another ding in the Tesla armor.
The average European car manufacturer has lead times of ~6 months. I managed to get my BMW 3 series 12 years ago in 4, because my dealer ordered them up ahead in free manufacturing slots, and reconfigured them to my liking before the manufacturing date. I know people who waited for more than 12 months on their Audi A5.

Anyway, it's obvious there are some deadline overruns, and other manufacturers have similar issues.

I'm amazed that although everybody seems to understand the concept of deadlines in personal and professional lives, you all seem to work for and with companies that always meet deadlines, and amazingly enough only learn about Tesla, Elon and Elon time since about a month.

Meanwhile, my brother ordered a BMW motorcycle in December 2020, it was scheduled to be built in week 9 of 2021 and now in week 13 nor the dealer, importer and BMW Germany can tell him where his motorcycle is, if it's built, and if it actually comes with the options he wanted since those disappeared in the meantime from the website. And we're like "yeah that's annoying but not to be unexpected from car manufacturers".

The average European car manufacturer has lead times of ~6 months. I managed to get my BMW 3 series 12 years ago in 4, because my dealer ordered them up ahead in free manufacturing slots, and reconfigured them to my liking before the manufacturing date. I know people who waited for more than 12 months on their Audi A5.

Anyway, it's obvious there are some deadline overruns, and other manufacturers have similar issues.
Back in the 1970s - before the USA went insane - my father ordered a FIAT (don't ask me why) which he could drive around Europe and then ship back to the US after his trip.

He landed in Turin - went straight to the factory - and his 131 Brava was sitting in a showroom, ready for its first breakdown.

The point is - if my dad could order a car in 1976 with a seamless delivery from 8,000 miles away - seems to me Tesla shouldn't have such a challenge in 2021.

So I ordered a Model S last October. My SA assured me there was not going to be any "refresh" coming. (First mistake was trusting him.) Forward to December and the Tesla Factory had just shut down. I was concerned hearing about suspension issues in China and also that a refresh could be coming. I was called by delivery department and wanted to ask some questions. Mind you I had already been waiting two months for an $80K car. The delivery department basically said we don't know. Take it or leave it. This was my first experience with Tesla. I have been driving the Lexus brand for 20 years, and drive a less expensive car, and have had a far better experience with the process. Needless to say I didn't take delivery. Then there was the period of darkness where nobody knew anything. I had to pull my current car off the market for sale. Then the refresh news. Ok fine. Glad I waited and didn't buy an outdated car. But then I am told that I will have to pay the new price (when my SA said that you are locked in on pricing no matter what happens) with a measly $2K discount. Fine. I will let it go, although now I am getting really ticked off. Then as I start to question everything this SA told me (including Tesla gives out loaner cars during service in LA - wrong again), I am really disappointed this is the level of customer care they offer. Moving forward my account was changed from Feb 15th- March 15th delivery date to "we will reach out to you". Absolutely no time frame while others who ordered AFTER the refresh was announced have dates or at least the month of March.
Now I finally get a new order agreement in, and it is wrong. No discounts. No delivery date. Also being told I will not even be able to test drive the car because I will likely have it before showrooms have test vehicles. How does someone now buy a $90k car with a whole new steering system and no stalks without a test drive? And if I delay delivery, I will likely go to the back of the line again and have to wait months. I reach out to a new SA who doesn't respond back. I mean this is absolutely shockingly bad customer service. I might understand for a Model 3, but for a Model S or X they need better customer care. Not impressed with Tesla thus far. At some point this is going to catch up with Tesla as more EV brands hit the road and other options are available.
Look, Its really simple. Once they have your money for the car, everything that happens costs them money. Service, Advice, complaints, requests, TEsla doesnt care once they have your money

It's funny reading this type of response, and I've seen it a lot on this forum. Whenever someone complains about a Tesla screw-up, for sure someone else will bring up some other issue with another manufacturer. The person who has a beef with Tesla does NOT care if another manufacturer has problems.

It's funny reading this type of response, and I've seen it a lot on this forum. Whenever someone complains about a Tesla screw-up, for sure someone else will bring up some other issue with another manufacturer. The person who has a beef with Tesla does NOT care if another manufacturer has problems.
The point being: it's not a Tesla screw-up. It's business. It's the physical inability for any business to offer you a test drive on a product that hasn't been released yet, because it doesn't exist yet.

Literally, these are the production numbers for S and X Q1 2021:
1617529106717.png

I mean, are you the person who is pissed at Apple because that it takes a few weeks between the announcement of a new iPhone, and said new iPhones appear in Apple stores?

Or do you write this stuff just to provoke?

Look, Its really simple. Once they have your money for the car, everything that happens costs them money. Service, Advice, complaints, requests, TEsla doesnt care once they have your money
In this case, Tesla doesn't even have money. Tesla have received an order, and the person placing the order indicated they're refraining from accepting delivery until they can have a test drive.

Well it does say “ESTIMATED”. Not “PROMISED”.

If a person wants fewer negative surprises, it’s always best to buy something that has been in the market for a while and you can see how production and reliability is doing. If you want to be an early adopter, don’t expect production and reliability to be perfect out the gate.

• Disagree
Reactions: wooter and Tigers
Buying a refresh long range, exactly what is it about that car that makes you an early adopter? They did a refresh 5 years ago.

This one should have been seamless. OK, maybe a few weeks out due to chip shortage or press fire, but months? How does one accept the lack of communication to boot?

Buying a refresh long range, exactly what is it about that car that makes you an early adopter? They did a refresh 5 years ago.

This one should have been seamless. OK, maybe a few weeks out due to chip shortage or press fire, but months? How does one accept the lack of communication to boot?
It’s still a new thing. New interior. New drivetrain (for plaid). New line. Probably new suppliers. Significant software changes to replace stalk. Anything new is likely to have a bumpy ride initially.