Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1up USA Bike Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the 2” hitch extender from 1up and tried it out. My intent was to leave the extender installed permanently, and just remove the 1up from the extender when I wasn’t using the rack. I installed the extender at the 5” setting. I have mixed feelings about it so far...

Positives:
- You can open the hatch with the rack in vertical storage position
- More room between bikes and the hatch means less potential for scratching the tesla paint when loading my bike or hitting crazy bumps
- Can install the rack into receiver at full depth
- Much easier to put on the 1up lock for rack

Negatives:
- Less weight capacity
- The hitch extender comes with a lock but it can’t be used, there is no room unless I can somehow move the hitch harness plug out of the way
- It maybe sticks out too much to leave the extender on permanently

How do you attach it the hitch extender to the car ?
I ve tried every ways :

- with the manufacturer threaded bolt : The bolt fits perfectly, extender doesn't move at all but is not secure due to the straight key lock that can't fit in it (I heard people are calling 1UP to get a replacement (90degres angle).
- I have bought these : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009V1WS4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details and https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9N6DRI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details but the bar that secures the hitch extender moves a little bit within the hole .... so I wonder if this is secure or not .....

Sorry for the dummy questions but I never towed and I don't want to use the rack without the extender because there is not much space between the trunk and the bike ...

Thanks for the help provided guys .... Got a race next week and need to carry the bike :/

Attachments

• NOT_WORKING.jpeg
    NOT_WORKING.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Working_but_moving.jpeg
    Working_but_moving.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Informative
Reactions: Tonedog77
I just called them this morning .... Guys was super unfriendly (I guess it's friday ... or he doesn't like french accent :( ) and told me I do not need the hitch extender and that I just need to insert the bike rack a bit less (just 2" he said) and he is sending a hitch lock replacement.

I know a few people around here use this rack. I've seen mixed feed back that it does or does not fit well on the Model Y. I'm really interested in this rack because I only need to carry one bike, and the ability to add modules in the future if I need to is appealing. So it looks like I can get a quality rack for a great price (being that I will be getting just the single rack option), just so long as it fits the Y well.

If you own this rack, how does it work with the Y?
I just got mine (Heavy Duty single) and it fits well. Very well made. It obstructs the sensors in back (I imagine this is with most, if not all, hitch racks). Really like it. Have not actually hauled a bike on the road yet tho...

Reactions: tm3lrawd and Gaige
PIC REQUEST!!

Can anyone please share what your back up cam looks like with a single 1up rack folded up? I currently have a Kuat NV (double) and it covers my entire screen when backing up. Considering getting a single 1up because from what I see on this thread, it looks like it sits fairly low and away from the camera.

PIC REQUEST!!

Can anyone please share what your back up cam looks like with a single 1up rack folded up? I currently have a Kuat NV (double) and it covers my entire screen when backing up. Considering getting a single 1up because from what I see on this thread, it looks like it sits fairly low and away from the camera.
Yep. I will do that tomorrow. You have a full view with the single tray

Reactions: Twindaddy76
I currently have a Kuat NV (double) and it covers my entire screen when backing up.
Considering getting a single 1up because from what I see on this thread,
it looks like it sits fairly low and away from the camera.

I previously did some researches for a folding bike rack that I could easily remove and carry in my trunk when not in use.

I looked at Kuat NV double or similar ones, but they were all so heavy that I could not carry them to my garage
without using a cart and could not either fit in my trunk.

I was considering at the 1Up USA, but finally I ordered the QuikrStuff, mostly because you don't need any tool
to attach or remove the single or the additional rack to or from the car.

Late to the party here but my ownership of a 1UPUSA rack is the primary reason I got a Model Y. It’s got the factory trailer hitch receiver, unlike the Model 3, which I would have preferred. I was a bit nervous about it fitting but it’s perfect.

I don’t have pics available but it is actually quite a nice fit. I slide the rack into the receiver and line up the holes and secure with the lock. This does take some reaching in to the void of the bumper and I have to sit on the ground to make it work but it is fine. Then I tighten up the Allen bolt ball tightener and I’m good to go.

The rack can be swung to the vertical position and I have about a 1/2“ of clearance from the rear bumper.

My rack has the optional lighting accessory and I plug it into the electrical port and it works great.

Overall this has worked extremely well though I admit it was a gamble buying the car not being 100% sure it would fit.

Also, because the access panel is so hard to remove from the Tesla bumper I have purchased one of the aftermarket panels with a plug and magnets to secure it. It has a hole to ease removal and unless you’re looking closely it’s pretty discreet that it’s not a Tesla part. I doubt I’ll ever reinstall the original Tesla panel that covers the receiver.

Finally, I really wish a hitch receiver were offered with the Model 3 and Model S. The number of cars overall with aftermarket receivers installed is quite high. Look around for them. They’re everywhere. Even if they had a very low tow limit it’d be fine because as often as not they’re not for towing but for the bike rack in question.

Late to the party here but my ownership of a 1UPUSA rack is the primary reason I got a Model Y. It’s got the factory trailer hitch receiver, unlike the Model 3, which I would have preferred. I was a bit nervous about it fitting but it’s perfect.

I don’t have pics available but it is actually quite a nice fit. I slide the rack into the receiver and line up the holes and secure with the lock. This does take some reaching in to the void of the bumper and I have to sit on the ground to make it work but it is fine. Then I tighten up the Allen bolt ball tightener and I’m good to go.

The rack can be swung to the vertical position and I have about a 1/2“ of clearance from the rear bumper.

My rack has the optional lighting accessory and I plug it into the electrical port and it works great.

Overall this has worked extremely well though I admit it was a gamble buying the car not being 100% sure it would fit.

Also, because the access panel is so hard to remove from the Tesla bumper I have purchased one of the aftermarket panels with a plug and magnets to secure it. It has a hole to ease removal and unless you’re looking closely it’s pretty discreet that it’s not a Tesla part. I doubt I’ll ever reinstall the original Tesla panel that covers the receiver.

Finally, I really wish a hitch receiver were offered with the Model 3 and Model S. The number of cars overall with aftermarket receivers installed is quite high. Look around for them. They’re everywhere. Even if they had a very low tow limit it’d be fine because as often as not they’re not for towing but for the bike rack in question.
Agree with @James1967. My 1Up USA super duty double rack fits my 2023 MY. Want to add that some issues that make the experience less than ideal.
1. The double rack blocks the backup camera. Wish Tesla sold an accessary rear camera that could be attached to the rack and integrated with the Tesla software.
2. The range takes a small hit with the rack installed, even when driving in the storage position.
3. You need to request a special hitch pin lock from 1Up USA to fit the MY. Even with this special pin lock, the lock is tough to install due to the tight space in the area around the hitch receiver. This is not such an issue if you plan to keep the rack installed throughout the season, but it's more of a pain if you want to remove the rack after each ride due to issues 1 and 2 above.

I have been using my 1up USA rack for years now. I gave up trying to get a lock installed ( I remove the rack after each ride) so I started using these locking zip ties:

I don't know if the clearances are the same for all years, but for my 2020 I got this from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009V1WS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It works ok but was an interim item waiting for the one Kuat was sending me (they were out of stock at the time).
I like the Kuat one Hitch Lock better because the key is two side making it easy to get inserted and the actual tumbers on that master lock are a little raised which makes the master a little harder to get the key in without see what you're doing.

I typically get the lock pin in and secured in 5-10 seconds and back out in a similar time frame without bending down or sitting on the ground to see in the recessed area. Very easy to use this Kuat one.

Not relevant to a 1-up user but for Kuat owners Kuat also sent me extra cores that matched my NV BASE 2.0. I see they have changed the NV BASE 2.0 design so I'd ask Kuat if you can still match the cores.

I don't know if the clearances are the same for all years, but for my 2020 I got this from amazon
Amazon.com
It works ok but was an interim item waiting for the one Kuat was sending me (they were out of stock at the time).
I like the Kuat one Hitch Lock better because the key is two side making it easy to get inserted and the actual tumbers on that master lock are a little raised which makes the master a little harder to get the key in without see what you're doing.

I typically get the lock pin in and secured in 5-10 seconds and back out in a similar time frame without bending down or sitting on the ground to see in the recessed area. Very easy to use this Kuat one.

Not relevant to a 1-up user but for Kuat owners Kuat also sent me extra cores that matched my NV BASE 2.0. I see they have changed the NV BASE 2.0 design so I'd ask Kuat if you can still match the cores.

BTW, Kuat has updated their hitch pin/lock to work with the MY. I had an older lock on my rack and they sent me the updated version for my car.

BTW, Kuat has updated their hitch pin/lock to work with the MY. I had an older lock on my rack and they sent me the updated version for my car.
I see a different one (called V4) similar to the one I'm using but maybe a little stubbier. And it looks like it comes with the newer keys. When I got my rack it came with that large V3 lock.

Didn't want to comment on the V4 as I haven't used it but maybe if someone else has they can chime in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009V1WS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the lock I used to fit the Kuat NV and it works great:

I like the Kuat but there is no way to convert my double tray to a single tray. When folded up it blocks a good portion of my back up cam. I ride 3-4 days a week so removing it after every ride isnt a great option.

If anyone is in the market for a Kuat with the +2 add on for a total of 4 bikes….let me know 😃😃! Disclaimer…4 bikes may exceed the weight limit of the MY Tow hitch!

Does anybody know if blocking the rear camera causes problems with autopilot? I came from a legacy X which I don't believe used the rear camera for anything.
In my 2020 MY FSDb works fine (or as fine as it works with no rack). There is some rear warning that sort of looks like a yellow mustache because it thinks you have a tail gater. And in reverse it complains. Same reason. I haven't used it with AP but if FSDb is working I'd assume AP is as well.

What you can't do is run FSDb with tow mode.