Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.15.16: FWD's may lose calibration data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
2.15.16 was installed on my car this weekend (via OTA, although the service centers are now pushing it during service), and I ran into a curious problem. When my wife hit the button to open the FWD's today, it opened 4-6 inches, then stopped. After that, any press of the buttons (interior, exterior, touchscreen) resulted in three beeps but the door would not move at all. Using touchscreen override (holding the button to open) didn't move the doors.

As it turns out, the doors seem to have lost their calibration data.

To recalibrate the FWD's: hold the interior door switch down (the direction for "close") and keep holding it. The car will give a single tone, the door will move out about 3-4 inches, then stop, then slowly close until the latch pulls it shut. You can then release the button and the doors should be recalibrated. You can't use the touchscreen -- you must reach around from the driver's door to the switch inside. The doors will not do this recalibration cycle if the doors are already calibrated. Repeat for the other side.

After doing this recalibration, the doors worked again - but throughout the day it seems as if the doors lost their data again after a while. The service center suggested that it might be caused by the FWD modules going to sleep. With energy saver to "off" the car didn't lose its data at all (although my sample size was very small here, so it might be something else). I turned it back on before I left this evening, and when I tried again 3 hours later, sure enough the calibration data was lost again.

So if you have 2.15.16, and your FWD's stop working, you may want to try turning energy saver off until the bug is fixed.

The bad news: overnight, the doors lost their calibration again even with energy saver set to "off". If it's anything like the Model S, though, there's an overnight sleep mode that gets used regardless of the energy saver setting.

Service center is working on it with engineering.

So it appears that the 'energy saver' isn't a workaround after all. More to come when I hear more.

Reactions: Joel
The bad news: overnight, the doors lost their calibration again even with energy saver set to "off". If it's anything like the Model S, though, there's an overnight sleep mode that gets used regardless of the energy saver setting.

Service center is working on it with engineering.

So it appears that the 'energy saver' isn't a workaround after all. More to come when I hear more.

You beat me to this. I had the issue over the weekend. Holding down the button on the B pillar resolved the issue (re-calibrated the doors). The re-calibration took a matter of seconds (5-10), which was very re-assuring.

Not the FWD, but as a reference my drivers door wouldn't latch on thursday night, same day that I got it delivered (obviously annoying).

In the service center they fixed it the very next day by recalibrating the door latch. They told me the brain is still a bit sensitive. When I asked him how to avoid this, he said that for now try not to interrupt the door manually when it is opening automatically (like if it is auto opening). Or else, it can confuse the calibration. Haven't interrupted since then, and haven't had any problems. Hope it's not always like this, because or else I have to tell all passengers not to interrupt when in movement all the time.

So, a couple of updates - I noted this in another thread, too...

With 2.15.16, the calibration data for the doors was lost every 12 hours or so (when the car went to sleep). This was easily fixed by running a calibration cycle on the door - annoying, but not a big deal.

Over time, though, it became an issue. As it turns out, running many calibration cycles apparently stresses the alignment of latches a bit more than it is supposed to, and so my car developed a nasty sound as the calibration cycle tried to run. It would pull the door very tight, but would never conclude the cycle. The car showed the falcon-wing door as open, yet it was tight against the body.

As it turns out, apparently running through the calibration cycle a lot pulled things out of alignment to where the door could not latch automatically anymore. The service center had to realign the latch and latch port.

An upgrade to 2.15.50 fixed the problem with the calibration loss every time the car went to sleep, and things are working as expected.

Then, yesterday, a problem popped up with the driver's door - it wouldn't latch. It showed that the door was open, when it wasn't, and the latch's cinching motor kept trying to run, over and over and over again. In addition, the door could only be opened through the mechanical release by pulling on the handle. The service center noted that the original door latches had a new design and had to be replaced. That was performed this morning and the door works as expected.

There is one other LARGE annoyance, and it's that with 2.15, Tesla has changed the driver door behavior to use the falcon-wing door sensor. Stand too close to the car (12-24") and the driver's door will barely open. Stand VERY close to the car (6-12") or over 2 feet from the car, and it'll open fine. It's annoying at best.