TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2.24.102 and Touch Screen Malfunction

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MDMGSO47, Jul 7, 2016.

1. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

We installed 2.24.102 successfully on Tuesday. The DRLs now works. Yeah!!! Today. Thursday, we had to reboot the touch screen on two separate occasions due to a warning that the touch screen had malfunctioned and please call Tesla service. Anyone else having a similar problem?

2. SoccerMan94043

I did. I left my car at the airport overnight and when I returned to the car, it showed that I had an update available, but I've already received 2.24.102. Then I notice an error message on the console saying my touch screen isn't working and I need to call service.

I rebooted the screen and the console, everything worked as normal but the update message disappeared.

3. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

I had that happen (actually my wife did when she got in to use the car). Rebooted and never happened again.

4. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Did it show an update available or just the "!" icon at the top? That icon displays when you have an update and when there is a warning signal in the car.

5. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

The exact message was "Touchscreen Needs Service - Contact Tesla Service" (she took a picture of it and sent it to me).

6. SoccerMan94043

It was the "!"... the touch screen wasn't functional so I never got past that.

7. msnow

msnow Active Member

Thumbdrive in USB?

8. cochese

cochese Member

Just today the SC told me the repeated "touchscreen failure" messages were due to me having a USB thumb drive attached. Such BS. Seriously? For a high tech company who sells a lot of cars to engineers, I'm shocked at these responses that basically assume we are idiots.

9. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

No thumb drive...

10. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

I have a thumb drive attached. However, it has been attached since day one, and we never had any "touchscreen failure" messages until installing 2.24.102

11. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

#11 MDMGSO47, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    I contacted Tesla Service and was told that my USB drive was defective, which was causing the screen to malfunction. This is very strange since I have used the same USB drive since I received the car, and never had a problem until I uploaded 2.24.102. I checked the USB drive on another computer, and it works fine. I gave it to my IT department and they could find nothing wrong with it.

On the one hand, 2.24.102 enabled my DRLs. On the other, it is preventing my from playing music on my USB drive.

12. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

#12 TaoJones, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Yesterday when dropping by an SvC, my expectation was that I would get 2.24.103. What I got was 2.24.102. Doh.

This is yet another reason why we need release notes per release in advance of the installation so that we know what we are about to install - with an opt-out, unless safety-related. I'm a patient guy. I can wait.

So. USB/touchscreen problems again, eh? This happened before - no error message but verrrrry slow touchscreen response. The workaround from Service was to disconnect the USB sticks "because that fixes the problem". Uh, hrm. Another workaround was to delete visited locations, one by one, via the touchscreen interface. Eventually, a release followed that actually fixed the problem.

Now, of course I have no idea whether *.103 fixes the above defect reported with *.102, or if my car is even a candidate for *.103. No release notes with *.103 either, evidently (beyond the single Summon-related page). I do know that the last things I want to see in a part that costs $4,000 to replace are spurious error messages.

I'll take regression testing for $200, Alex.

• Like x 1