Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should be interesting what Tesla has to say. The pd seemed rushed to say no driver care on autopilot because it definitely was not on autopilot based on autopilot activation limitations

This is why a company needs a PR department.

The story is all over the place with the assumption that AP did it or that AP was somehow involved.

Sadly Tesla closed down their PR department.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is possible to kill someone this way, BUT you have to make them cooperate somehow because they need to 1) put the car in Drive and 2) Engage the Cruise and 3) Turn the speed of the cruse to the max. Something doesn't add up.
Well, some other report now says the owner was in the back seat.

As I said - when all the details emerge, this will look different.

They must have have been really drunk - if this was an accident. Starting to look intentional.

HOLY COW, I found this:
"Investigators said the battery acid from the car was highly flammable and made the fire extremely difficult to contain."
I am not sure now if we really should trust these "investigators" on counting occupants of a burnt car and even less on the original location of the occupants.

There's a thread over here that may yield more traction.

I think the weight sensor in the seat detects driver presence - did they fool it by putting some weight in the seat, what about hands on the steering wheel? Liability wise Tesla will not be responsible as the Auto-pilot engaging/driving conditions were violated so driver is responsible.
However the learning from this incident should be used to prevent such occurrences by suitably modifying the software.

Reactions: rxlawdude
There goes the neighborhood. The push for regulations are about to heat up, they may even temporarily ban FSD in Tesla's. Why on God's green earth would you trust the car to drive itself enough to get in the back seat. We all know the systems are great, but need manual intervention from time to time.
“There was a person in the passenger seat of the front of the car and in the rear passenger seat of the car.”

I bet they were making a YouTube video. Since I’ve got my Model 3 in September, I’ve probably only used autopilot a handful of times for only a few minutes. I don’t feel comfortable with it.

I bet they were making a YouTube video.
My take on the story was that the owner was showing off for his friend. I don't really mean to sound so callous but this seems to be a good candidate for a Darwin Award. I initially quoted a Reuters report on this incident but then found a more "local" source. Things like this give Tesla a black eye when it gets hyped up in the media.