Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. I live in US and AP doesn’t even show as an option if there are no lines. Hopefully more facts come out of this case because right now, what they are suggesting just doesn’t seem plausible. Maybe they were a FSD beta tester and that works differently? Not sure.
It's not possible with beta test to unbuncle or not on driver seat the systeme stop immeditly car make on warning and stop immediatly see this video

Reactions: byeLT4 and Big Earl
Unless Green or Tesla gets the black box (assuming it survived), everyone, including the investigators, are speculating at this point. Unrestrained humans in cars hitting poles or trees tend to become projectiles, so where they ended up post crash may not be where they were prior to impact. Time will tell.

Reactions: Evoyager
Maybe I watched too many Forensic Files episodes. What if the whole thing was staged to look like an accident and the 2 bodies were dead before? Then the driver lit the car on fire? I know, crazy supposition but anything is possible these days.
Sure would be great if someone had a surveillance/doorbell camera that caught them going down the street.

Reactions: edseloh and house9
Maybe I watched too many Forensic Files episodes. What if the whole thing was staged to look like an accident and the 2 bodies were dead before? Then the driver lit the car on fire? I know, crazy supposition but anything is possible these days.

I think it’s pretty easy to spot the difference between a gasoline fireplace and one associated with a lithium ion battery, but with the yahoos they have investigating the wreck who knows.

Wait. What? Doesn't AP turn off if you exit the driver's seat?

Mike
You have to trick the system by putting a weight on seat, and keep the seat belt buckled. At that point, if you want the car to drive for an extended time, you need to put weights on the steering wheel to simulate light torque.

In other words, you have to go out of your way to get AP to stay on without someone in the driver's seat.

Reactions: rrohde
I live less than a mile from where this happened. I'm not familiar with these specific roads as this is a gated community, but I know that the road type is the same as where I live.

The roads are unmarked concrete. The speed limit on this road was likely 30 MPH

There is no way that any AP features would have been able to engage on this road. I tested it out on my street and a bunch of other neighborhood streets last night. Was trying to see if the center expansion joint of the concrete would fool the computer into thinking that there was a center stripe. Nope.

The next fact you have is that the crash somehow caused the car to burn. Either this was a total fluke or they got going REALLY fast.

That road is not very long, and also not very straight. So they weren't accelerating for very long in either direction.

Next, this wasn't two kids making a YouTube video. It was two guys, one 59 the other 69.

Finally, I know not everyone's on the forums, but I haven't heard of a single FSD Beta of anyone in TX.

I'm not sure what happened. But I'd be willing to bet a bunch that the car straight up crashed and either 1. There was another person driving who got out and isn't fessing up or 2. That the driver tried to climb out the back to escape the crash / flames.

I'm not sure what happened. But I'd be willing to bet a bunch that the car straight up crashed and either 1. There was another person driving who got out and isn't fessing up or 2. That the driver tried to climb out the back to escape the crash / flames.
This is my first inclination
particularly since the owner of the car wasn't in the crash
Betting he floored it to give his passengers a thrill, lost control and hit the tree. Car went up in flames and he managed to get out
Now is lying to avoid consequences and blame Tesla

All speculation and a tragedy regardless of what happened

Like many have already said, I do feel that journalists have come to a conclusion much too quickly on this. It's the classic Tesla self-driving headline grabbing story, whereas in reality it is a very unfortunate and sad story.

What's been reported is purely circumstantial evidence.

I live less than a mile from where this happened. I'm not familiar with these specific roads as this is a gated community, but I know that the road type is the same as where I live.

The roads are unmarked concrete. The speed limit on this road was likely 30 MPH

There is no way that any AP features would have been able to engage on this road. I tested it out on my street and a bunch of other neighborhood streets last night. Was trying to see if the center expansion joint of the concrete would fool the computer into thinking that there was a center stripe. Nope.

The next fact you have is that the crash somehow caused the car to burn. Either this was a total fluke or they got going REALLY fast.

That road is not very long, and also not very straight. So they weren't accelerating for very long in either direction.

Next, this wasn't two kids making a YouTube video. It was two guys, one 59 the other 69.

Finally, I know not everyone's on the forums, but I haven't heard of a single FSD Beta of anyone in TX.

Autopilot gets all the attention, but what if the story were:
'Safest' cars on the road see 21 driver/passenger deaths in 12 months.
Elon loves to point the finger at the 'average car', but several of those 'average cars' see zero driver deaths over a years time.
This includes cadillac who is apparently bragging about their 'supercruise'.
If someone dies in a caddy, but nobody dies in a Volvo xc90? Which is safer?

Like many have already said, I do feel that journalists have come to a conclusion much too quickly on this. It's the classic Tesla self-driving headline grabbing story, whereas in reality it is a very unfortunate and sad story.

What's been reported is purely circumstantial evidence.

Well, I kinda get it. The firefighters in our area are pretty good and, unfortunately, well practiced. So you see a Tesla, no one in the driver's seat, and if you only know a little bit about them, jump to conclusions.

This is more proof (to me) that Tesla's "homegrown marketing" has oversold what AP / FSD is to the general public. By in large, they all think these cars are capable of driving themselves.

Autopilot gets all the attention, but what if the story were:
'Safest' cars on the road see 21 driver/passenger deaths in 12 months.
Elon loves to point the finger at the 'average car', but several of those 'average cars' see zero driver deaths over a years time.
This includes cadillac who is apparently bragging about their 'supercruise'.
If someone dies in a caddy, but nobody dies in a Volvo xc90? Which is safer?
I’m not sure I’m following the point you are trying to make. The safest car in your world appears to be one that maxes out at about 5mph but maybe I’m not understanding what you are saying.

Reactions: iustin
I’m not sure I’m following the point you are trying to make. The safest car in your world appears to be one that maxes out at about 5mph but maybe I’m not understanding what you are saying.
What aren't you sure about? Elon pushes pushes pushes the safety aspect, safest car ever, safety safety. We broke the testing device the car
is so safe, is is beyond their safety scale!

Vehicle safety is about what happens in a serious crash. Did the occupants die? That is the name of the game, right?
That your car will protect you from dying.
If 5 people die in a Model x over a year, and 0 people die in a Volco XC90. The drivers are from the same driving demographic.
Which car is safer?

Reactions: cucubits
What aren't you sure about? Elon pushes pushes pushes the safety aspect, safest car ever, safety safety. We broke the testing device the car
is so safe, is is beyond their safety scale!

Vehicle safety is about what happens in a serious crash. Did the occupants die? That is the name of the game, right?
That your car will protect you from dying.
If 5 people die in a Model x over a year, and 0 people die in a Volco XC90. The drivers are from the same driving demographic.
Which car is safer?
Its hard to say which car is safer under that scenerio. Safer car can only be determined by using similar circumstances. If a Volvo hit a tree doing 80 the outcome would probably be similar.

Reactions: byeLT4