Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 week old 2021 Model Y - SHUT DOWN while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE ON THE CAR:
Two months and some change after accepting delivery on my dream car, Tesla did a buy back and I am now renting a car until I figure out my next move. Basically, after the first shut down, the 12-day old car spent 2 weeks in the shop and received a new rear motor and a new 12V battery. I was told that the issue was resolved and that I "shouldn't have any more issues" with my vehicle. The day after it came back to me, my husband heard noises in the garage...it was a clicking sound followed by a loud thump a few seconds later. Each sound occurred once every 1-2 minutes - non-stop. The noises persisted for 1 week. The car then went back to service and spent almost 2 more weeks being repaired. The log showed the contactors repeatedly cycling on and off while the vehicle is idle. The "computer was causing the car to wake up and cycle the contactors repeatedly". The techs did a series of repairs including replacing the chargeport door, replacing chargeport ECU and updating filmware, replacing the 12V battery again, and replacing the USB cable / storage device in the glovebox. The issue was that "a bad USB cable from the glovebox to the car computer was falsely causing a bug". After this, Tesla agreed to a buy back.
The same thing happened to me today. SOOOOO scary. Tesla towed it on flatbed to service center. My MY is 4 months old but still shouldn’t have this kind of problem. Fingers crossed that I will get a positive resolution. Curious - what did you end up getting?

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
For sure, this is a serious issue. I haven't counted how many of these "shutdown" failures have occurred. If this issue were more widespread (which I'm guessing it ISN'T), the outcry would be enormous. The pro-ICE, pro-EMustang, anti-Tesla media would be all over it in a heartbeat.

I contend this "issue" is NOT widespread, but sadly, normal growth pains for (any) new technology.

I think those 3 segments (pro ice, Mach e, anti Tesla) only exist because Tesla isn’t doing enough to convert those customers.

if Tesla had the range, reliability, and service to back up their brand, those 3 segments would all but evaporate. Sadly they just don’t, despite the fanboy rhetoric all over this thread. I hope the OP gives Tesla a 2nd chance and I hope we all get a bit more clued in to the fact that owning a Tesla can be a bit of sh1t show at times. They have a long way to go but when working properly vastly exceed any ice vehicle

For sure, this is a serious issue. I haven't counted how many of these "shutdown" failures have occurred. If this issue were more widespread (which I'm guessing it ISN'T), the outcry would be enormous. The pro-ICE, pro-EMustang, anti-Tesla media would be all over it in a heartbeat.

I contend this "issue" is NOT widespread, but sadly, normal growth pains for (any) new technology.
Tesla has been making cars for 10+ years now. When do they stop getting the “new technology” pass?

a2t2: Tesla "isn't doing enough to convert those customers."?????

Don't they have reservations several months in advance?

Far from perfect, for sure, and sometimes a real "sh1t show" as you said, but they can't keep up with demand. That says a lot.
Not keeping up with demand when you only sell between 100-200K vehicles per quarter isn’t really anything to brag about.

Yes, they sell the most EV’s of any manufacturer but to keep things in perspective, Toyota sells that many vehicles per MONTH. Consistently. Year over year.

...and Toyota is HARDLY a 10-year-old company.

A "new technology" pass? I suppose when Tesla stops innovating and providing continual upgrades to their software. Software ISN'T hardware, Totally different set of complex issues and risks.
So by that measure, they will ALWAYS be getting a pass for vehicles that randomly just shut down, because “software”. Got it.

Reactions: cwerdna and jsight
This thread includes many people pointing out that any car (ICE or BEV) can just die. But how many can't be put into neutral? I've had cars where you stuck the key into a slot in center console. Or pry a plastic piece off the dashboard and push/pull/poke/twist.

It seems like maybe a sensible safety improvement would be an emergency feature allowing the car to be pushed out of the roadway. It could be a "disconnect pin" you can only yank after removing the rear seat, or something. It could be irreversible (car can't be driven until repaired).

Reactions: a2t2
I'm glad no one was injured. This happened to me a few years ago in a Mercedes Benz B class. It was a compliance EV that had a Tesla motor, battery pack and coolant designed system. Had a warning light while I was on the freeway but it went away but a short while later when I was on city streets, the warning popped up again, the car shuddered and then abruptly shut down. Luckily it managed to limp into a turn lane in an intersection. I could not get the car into neutral to push it. Not that it would have been easy to push a 3,000lb car. MB sent a tow truck to haul it back to the dealership. Had a new Tesla motor installed. Two weeks later, the same thing happened again but I managed to get back home. Had the car towed back to the dealership and the motor was replaced again. Apparently coolant kept getting into the motor. The car was still on warranty. Then a few weeks later, the car starts to do something similar on the drive home but I made it back. Called MB and had them service the car again. The car was now out of warranty but they did not charge me. I contacted BBB and filed a Lemon Law complain (CA law, each state has different requirements.) They contacted MB for me and went several rounds. In the end, MB did the right thing and bought back the car.

I suggest you let them fix the car and it is likely you will never have the same problem ever again but if you do, know that you have rights and there are people who can help you. I.e. BBB (Better Business Bureau using lemon law legislation - in which case your tax dollars actually working for you.)

Reactions: TSLY
Thank you. I appreciate that...I was starting to regret posting on this forum.
AnaS, this past Friday, 08/20/2021, my husband and I had the same experience as you, including same attempts and failures to restart the car. Like you, it occurred on a feeder road from Costco to a main road, avoiding a certain catastrophe had it occurred on the main road. Our car was towed to a Tesla Service Center, where it remains and awaits diagnostic testing. I would be very interested in learning the conclusion to your story. Thanks!

To advance beyond being a work in progress, "a bus going 80 MPH trying to change its wheels", to paraphrase Elon, Tesla needs a best in breed CEO. Elon is a genius inventor, investor, showman, and visionary. But his tendency to micro-manage contributes to the operation's mismanagement. With a Tim Cook-like CEO to hone QC and supply chain, Elon would be empowered to achieve much more doing just what he's doing now -- as Chairman of the Board.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
I had this very same issue yesterday while driving on the Freeway in Miami. I barely had time to get over to the shoulder. More importantly, I lost braking control. My Tesla Y is two months old. The worse part is when I was towed to the Tesla dealership in Coral Gables, the Service Advisor said that they are not really a car company but a computer company and these things will happen. Now I don't have a loaner, Tesla does not rent cars and I am told that my car would probable be ready on 2/22 (Almost 6 days from the incident). I like Tesla but I must say that I find their Customer Service unacceptable for such a big, technology company.
Hasib M

Reactions: PB FUTED
AnaS
Thank you for posting and please keep us informed on your latest vehicle choice.
What happened to you is not at all unusual with any brand of automobile as many others have posted.
My first car a 1958 Ford purchased used, after delivering the Long Island Press in Queens, NY for three years, would not start in rainy weather. After replacing points, plugs, rotor, distributor cap, coil, all ignition wires, and visits to two different Ford dealers that could not find a problem, I finally sold it.
The first failure on the road occurred with my 66 Volkswagen (purchased new in Germany while stationed there in the US Army) on the Grand Central Parkway in Queens when it just died. Towed to Weiss VW in Queens Village, a valve had broken and fell into a cylinder causing engine failure. They gave me $500 towards a brand new 69 VW that cost $2k dollars,
The next on the road failure was with our three year old Mazda RX4 rotary engine station that had a failing electric fuel pump. Coasted into a parking space on Route One in Edison, NJ in front of a Auto Parts store and replaced the electric fuel pump the next day.
The next vehicle failure occurred while pulling into my driveway when the oil pump failed in our 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel Rabbit with 246k miles.
We have seen catastrophic failures of airplanes, rockets, fire doors, etc. all of which resulted in improvements and safety.
We shall see the same results with electric vehicles as time goes on.
I hope that you have better luck with your next vehicle.

I literally just had this happened to me 3 hours ago on my less-than-2-week-old 2022 Model Y with 199 total miles. It’s freaking scary because as the other owner mentioned, you have so little time to pull the car to the side before it becomes completely unresponsive. To make things worse, today is a Friday, by the time the car got loaded onto a tow truck, Tesla Service Centers were closed and won’t open until Monday. This is frustrating. I am the fourth person on this thread having this terrible experience. This is way too frequent. I was lucky to avoid any accidents but if Tesla doesn’t resolve this problem soon, someone will get hurt eventually because of it. Ugh…

AnaS, this past Friday, 08/20/2021, my husband and I had the same experience as you, including same attempts and failures to restart the car. Like you, it occurred on a feeder road from Costco to a main road, avoiding a certain catastrophe had it occurred on the main road. Our car was towed to a Tesla Service Center, where it remains and awaits diagnostic testing. I would be very interested in learning the conclusion to your story. Thanks!
How about the conclusion to your story? Did they fix your car? What was the issue for the shutdown? Thanks