Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" Aftermarket Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to give a little update. I have put on about 5900 miles since I bought the Hankooks in early August. I didn't measure the tread depth when I first got them but Tire Rack states both of the new Ventus evo K110s (245/40/20 fronts and 275/35/20 rears) have 10/32" tread depth. Now, both of my front tires have 7.5/32" depth (inner and outer groves) and 8.5/32" depth (center grooves). I tried to be as precise as possible but I'm using an analog gauge so take it with a grain of salt. Both of my rear tires had 6.5/32" tread (inner and outer grooves) with 7/32" in the center grooves. I was previously worried about uneven tread wear on the rear tires because of the high negative camber angle, but I feel a lot better now. My tire guy recommends not to flip the tires for another 1500 miles. He thinks I can get 15k miles on the rears but we will see. He said my fronts will last a lot longer. As far as the impact on the car's efficiency with the aftermarket rims/tires go, my 19" stock setup gave me about 300 Wh/mi. I am now averaging about 306 Wh/mi since changing to the aftermarket setup. Overall, I'm very happy with the change. The car is a pleasure to drive. It is definitely noisier at freeway speeds and the ride is more harsh when compared to the 19" setup. But, the trade off is superior handling, sporty feel and, IMHO, looks. BTW, Musterion, I love your setup. Your write up is very informative and your car looks terrific with those rims. I think Red Model S's are the best looking.

I know this is an old thread but I'm thinking about these wheels for my upcoming P85D in a couple of months. Since it's been over a year, are you guys still happy with the wheels? Can you elaborate on the following items?

-Range
-Tire Wear

-Ride Comfort
-Noise Levels
-Do you still love
them?

Yes, I'm happy overall. I just replaced one of my 275/35 Hankook rear tires. I got 20k miles out of it. The other rear had to be replaced a while ago because of a nail in the sidewall. I replaced the 2 rears with Nitto Motivos which seem to be noisier and have a slightly harsher ride. I'm hoping they will last a little longer than the Hankooks though. My front 245 hankooks are still going strong after 20k miles with 6-7/32nds tread wear. I might not need to replace them till 40k miles. Overall, I'm glad I replaced the stock rims. The car handles corners far better. I had about a 2% loss in efficiency going from the stock tires to the Hankooks but that was more than made up for by the recent software upgrade that changed the regen.

Installed 20" wheels earlier this week. Having missed this thread I started a another one here.

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG