Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

200 Superchargers WORLDWIDE !!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News Flash from 2024, looking back to 2014
Because of my new frontal suture
I now can read back from the future
"Just ten score SpCs"?
(Had there been a disease?)
And the zillions we've now are much huger!

Last edited:
I noticed the reference in @cottonwood's post pointing out the gap in solar deployment for powering Superchargers. Does anyone have any idea what fraction of Superchargers deployed today are in fact powered by solar?

Solar doesn't provide all the power needed for any superchargers, but there are solar panels currently installed at Tejon Ranch and Hawthorne with another going in at Barstow (all in California). That's it for North America. I think there are at least a couple in China as well, but it's obviously a low percentage of superchargers with solar overall.

(LMB spouse)

Solar doesn't provide all the power needed for any superchargers, but there are solar panels currently installed at Tejon Ranch and Hawthorne with another going in at Barstow (all in California). That's it for North America.

@emupilot - Both Milford CT Superchargers have solar panels. I'm sure there are others beside those you mentioned.

I used 100 miles as I believe that M60s can do 140 miles with ease in bad conditions. That gives a 40-50 mile buffer. If I am wrong someone with a M60 please let me know.
With some combination of headwinds/speed/cold/load/wet ground/degraded battery, it's entirely possible that 100 miles might be too far, and it's definitely too inflexible beyond a basic capability. 100 miles doesn't give a fine enough grain to handle multiple intersections, in many areas. Consider that 50 mile spacing means that a Model S60 could almost always choose to skip one, in good conditions two, and ideal conditions three SCs, while an 85 could normally skip two, often three and in ideal conditions four (but with no reserve in the latter case). Of course, other spacings are possible - putting them 70 miles apart allows 60s to skip one in most conditions, while an 85 could skip two sometimes. 75 mile spacing strikes me as a bit too far; there would be a fair number of occasions where cars would be forced to stop at distances well short of what they can typically achieve.

With some combination of headwinds/speed/cold/load/wet ground/degraded battery, it's entirely possible that 100 miles might be too far, and it's definitely too inflexible beyond a basic capability. 100 miles doesn't give a fine enough grain to handle multiple intersections, in many areas. Consider that 50 mile spacing means that a Model S60 could almost always choose to skip one, in good conditions two, and ideal conditions three SCs, while an 85 could normally skip two, often three and in ideal conditions four (but with no reserve in the latter case). Of course, other spacings are possible - putting them 70 miles apart allows 60s to skip one in most conditions, while an 85 could skip two sometimes. 75 mile spacing strikes me as a bit too far; there would be a fair number of occasions where cars would be forced to stop at distances well short of what they can typically achieve.

This is all finesse, but we have the same idea.

I am a fan of 133 mile spacing to begin with, to have coverage, and then in-fill to get 67 mile spacing for contingencies, alternatives, and most importantly, when there is a Supercharger failure or power outage. With some good telemetry about Supercharger status in the Tesla, this would also let you skip busy stations and gain some Erlang efficiency from neighboring Superchargers.

Most importantly, I want some more North American Superchargers. The last one went live on September 9 in North America and there have only been two Superchargers go live in North America in September!

Most importantly, I want some more North American Superchargers. The last one went live on September 9 in North America and there have only been two Superchargers go live in North America in September!

Agreed accept according to changelog it was North America number 112 on 9/9/14 and number 111 on 8/29/14 so only one in September. At this rate it is going to be difficult to get Coming Soon taken care of this year much less all of 2014 list!

And to maintain Elon's rate of 1 every 20 hours there needs to be 36 in the pipeline and there are only 24 :mad: and only 1/2 of those are in the US

I think we are seeing a transition to a higher number of starts in the U.S. I wonder if the they utility hold up at various sites has any impact on new starts. In any case, this quarter ends soon, so it will be very interesting to see if the number of starts goes up dramatically in October.

I think we are seeing a transition to a higher number of starts in the U.S. I wonder if the they utility hold up at various sites has any impact on new starts. In any case, this quarter ends soon, so it will be very interesting to see if the number of starts goes up dramatically in October.

When we saw the hard push to get Elon's trip ready how many were done in the final 3 months heading into that ? That seems to have been the max rate so far.....

Looks like Tesla declared 200 today !!

200 superchargers.JPG

This is all finesse, but we have the same idea.

I am a fan of 133 mile spacing to begin with, to have coverage, and then in-fill to get 67 mile spacing for contingencies, alternatives, and most importantly, when there is a Supercharger failure or power outage. With some good telemetry about Supercharger status in the Tesla, this would also let you skip busy stations and gain some Erlang efficiency from neighboring Superchargers.

Yes, a little bit one way or another isn't critical, but I consider 133 miles to be the maximum spacing, and given the choice of best spacing or putting the SCs at the obvious junctions even if you could go further, I vote for the latter as being more versatile. Limon, Co. is an example of this. It's only about 75 miles from Colorado Springs and 90 or so from Denver, but it's the obvious spot to 'refuel'.