Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2000 FSD Poll

Do you intend to purchase FSD for $2000 before the price goes up on Monday March 18

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main reason I didn't get FSD at purchase was because I figured I could make that $1000 back in investment income before any FSD features came available. Then they raised the price by another $1000 with only a potential for a rebate to that portion based on purchase date. Since I had intended to purchase eventually, when they dropped the price down to $2000, it became a no brainer. I'm over a year closer to FSD actually existing and I no longer need to earn that $1000-2000 in order to break even on the later purchase, but instead spent LESS than I would have upfront.
I was going to wait until next quarter in case it affected the TSLA books in any way, but when the potential for the price to go back up this month surfaced, since I had already decided to purchase, there was no legitimate reason to wait.

Reactions: Ryshaw and FlyErik
I got my X in July '18 without EAP or FSD. 2 weeks ago, I was actually debating dropping the 7k for EAP just to get some of the cool features. Once I saw that I could get AP+FSD for 5k, it was a no brainer for me just to future proof the car. Now I don't need to worry about missing any features upon their release.

I got my X in July '18 without EAP or FSD. 2 weeks ago, I was actually debating dropping the 7k for EAP just to get some of the cool features. Once I saw that I could get AP+FSD for 5k, it was a no brainer for me just to future proof the car. Now I don't need to worry about missing any features upon their release.
Same situation here, July 18 build with no EAP, mainly because I don’t drive very long distance that often (2-3 one way 200mile+ trip in the past 5 years). Most of my “long” trips are 70-120 miles one way, and I enjoy driving the car myself. However I can’t really say no to $2k AP! So I pulled the trigger even before the news of price going back to normal.

I didn’t order FSD because I don’t think we will reach commercial L4/5 automation within 5-10 years, and by the time we have true autonomous driving, I don’t think I will still be driving the same car - hopefully we will have updated X on 21700 battery (or something even better) and without the FWD (to keep the weight and cost down - Elon, I know it’s cool but really not necessary).

I am getting it, but strangely I have absolutely no faith that they will deliver FSD in the ownership time of my car. I am actually very convinced of the opposite. 3+ years of using AP everyday and seeing the progress made my mind :) it can't even park in my garage on first try 75% of the time.

But:

- I think they will not update EAP anymore now. They will focus on FSD features. So if you want some of the new incoming features that are driving related, you will need FSD. First example is that traffic light and stop recognition features "coming" in a few months.
- it will hopefully help me at resale.
- I have a $500 credit from referral, and I don't see myself buying anything on their store, so FSD is $1500 for me.

I am getting it, but strangely I have absolutely no faith that they will deliver FSD in the ownership time of my car. I am actually very convinced of the opposite. 3+ years of using AP everyday and seeing the progress made my mind :) it can't even park in my garage on first try 75% of the time.

But:

- I think they will not update EAP anymore now. They will focus on FSD features. So if you want some of the new incoming features that are driving related, you will need FSD. First example is that traffic light and stop recognition features "coming" in a few months.
- it will hopefully help me at resale.
- I have a $500 credit from referral, and I don't see myself buying anything on their store, so FSD is $1500 for me.

To me, this is more along my line of thinking. I'm certainly not expecting actual "full self drive" capabilities, but in my mind, I just call AP "Gold" and FSD "Platinum". I want to make sure that I will get any "Platinum" features that are released.

Still on the fence for me. Current EAP does everything I need it to do and I don't anticipate being a first adopter of FSD. However, current EAP is not perfect. It still has phantom obstacles it slows down for and the 360 deg sensors are not very accurate as seen below:

IMG_1959 (1).jpg

This type of issue is infrequent but I do worry that one day it will happen exactly at the wrong time. If the new hardware for FSD also improves the current EAP limitations then I would not hesitate to pay the $2K even if I never use FSD. Unfortunately, I can only speculate before the price increase so will decide over the weekend.

If they wanted or needed extra cash for R and D then they should not decrease the cost of the model s and x. Therefore decrease residual values.

Almost like the 2008 mortgage crisis where home owners had loans owing that was grater than the house itself.

My neighbor can buy my exact car. No new battery. No new feature and save 20k CAD.

Seems like 2/3 are purchasing it or have sine the price drop. This should give them the extra cash needed for R&D and hopefully we see something soon....

Ahhhhh wait a minute.... I'm now one of them guys

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Still on the fence. Here are the issues:

1. HW3. Promised only in tweets.
2. If HW3, will it improve EAP experience? Auto lane change, NoA, TACC on city streets where it does not gracefully slow down behind a lead car.
3. Sentry mode was promised in a tweet to AP 2.0+. Other tweets show that is still unclear. So how do I evaluate the value of Sentry Mode in an FSD upgrade?
4. Value of FSD on local streets.

AP2.0, Model X75D

Still on the fence. Here are the issues:

1. HW3. Promised only in tweets.
2. If HW3, will it improve EAP experience? Auto lane change, NoA, TACC on city streets where it does not gracefully slow down behind a lead car.
3. Sentry mode was promised in a tweet to AP 2.0+. Other tweets show that is still unclear. So how do I evaluate the value of Sentry Mode in an FSD upgrade?
4. Value of FSD on local streets.

AP2.0, Model X75D

Still on fence too. Posts this in model 3 forum but going to ask her too: Do you guys think this would increase value much in terms of trade in a few years down the line? Like would Carmax (or even Tesla) give me $2000 more in a few years, considering this could be “worth” $4000, a few years from now? Or is this in the bucket of premium features that more quickly depreciate?

Have a 2016 X with ap2 so thinking could be worth it if this gets me HW3 on it... but I think there is a real possibility I might rather save that money and put it towards model y in a few years (depends on whether the 3rd row is actually usable at all in the Y).

Still on fence too. Posts this in model 3 forum but going to ask her too: Do you guys think this would increase value much in terms of trade in a few years down the line? Like would Carmax (or even Tesla) give me $2000 more in a few years, considering this could be “worth” $4000, a few years from now? Or is this in the bucket of premium features that more quickly depreciate?

Have a 2016 X with ap2 so thinking could be worth it if this gets me HW3 on it... but I think there is a real possibility I might rather save that money and put it towards model y in a few years (depends on whether the 3rd row is actually usable at all in the Y).
I doubt the FSD has any extra resale value. Options usually worth a lot less than their original costs in the used market.

Reactions: Terthen
I pulled the trigger on FSD for our MX this morning and received confirmation in the car shortly thereafter. I didn’t purchase FSD for our MS... yet.

Went on a drive this morning. I can confidently say that the NAGS on our MX while on autopilot are less frequent today. I will have to compare timers against our MS on autopilot but it feels like the time between nags without inputting any steering wheel feedback(pressure) is nearly double.

Anyone else experience decrease NAGS with FSD?

Reactions: Ryshaw
I pulled the trigger on FSD for our MX this morning and received confirmation in the car shortly thereafter. I didn’t purchase FSD for our MS... yet.

Went on a drive this morning. I can confidently say that the NAGS on our MX while on autopilot are less frequent today. I will have to compare timers against our MS on autopilot but it feels like the time between nags without inputting any steering wheel feedback(pressure) is nearly double.

No difference here.

Reactions: 1375mlm

Wait. You received a confirmation in a car? I got a confirmation in am email, but my car seems the same. What kind of confirmation was it?